• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

monday night eats (sea)

where would you take a strictly vegetarian couple who are in town for one night only - tonight, a monday - that's open after 9pm? (they're taking the clipper in - gets in around 8:30 and we likely won't be seated anywhere until nearly 9:30)

that's the practical, please-help-me question (btw - they live in DC and i'd like to take them somewhere with some atmosphere...carmelita, monsoon, cafe lago and cafe flora are all closed). i can default to ethnic...but want to take them somewhere at least slightly cosmopolitan.

where do you take guests when your standbys are closed?

edit: forgot 2nd half of question

Edited by reesek (log)

from overheard in new york:

Kid #1: Paper beats rock. BAM! Your rock is blowed up!

Kid #2: "Bam" doesn't blow up, "bam" makes it spicy. Now I got a SPICY ROCK! You can't defeat that!

--6 Train

Actually Cafe Flora is open until 10 at least according to thier website. To be honest at that hour to fine a place with atmosphere that has veg options is very limited. The one place that I like that is open late (but not big on atmosphere) is the Broadway Grill. They always have veg options and also Vegan. The food is good, and is a great option for late night.

Actually Cafe Flora is open until 10 at least according to thier website.

just not on monday. flora would be perfect. i'm bummed it's not going to work out.

should i give Lola another go?

Kid #2: "Bam" doesn't blow up, "bam" makes it spicy. Now I got a SPICY ROCK! You can't defeat that!

--6 Train

Two places that are good for late-night and I think a vegetarian (though not necessarily a vegan) would have enough options to put together a satisfying dinner:

The Capitol Club

Pomodoro

Most women don't seem to know how much flour to use so it gets so thick you have to chop it off the plate with a knife and it tastes like wallpaper paste....Just why cream sauce is bitched up so often is an all-time mytery to me, because it's so easy to make and can be used as the basis for such a variety of really delicious food.

- Victor Bergeron, Trader Vic's Book of Food & Drink, 1946

Are they vegetarian, no seafood?? or is fish ok? My pescatarian friend really liked Lola. She also likes Etta's. If fish is ok I think you have lots of options.

they're 'actual' vegetarians. they eat cheese, but no fish. has anyone been to the new galerias? i went to the "old" galerias years ago, and thought it was gross. i've since been told it's wildly authentic and i must have ordered poorly. the menu looks to be very veg friendly - and best of all - it's open until midnight. i'm a little nervous about places with kitchens only open until 10...what if it's slow and they close up a bit early? i'm off to search on galerias, but please feel free to post here too.

many thanks to tighe and lmf for input.

--6 Train

they're 'actual' vegetarians. they eat cheese, but no fish. has anyone been to the new galerias? i went to the "old" galerias years ago, and thought it was gross. i've since been told it's wildly authentic and i must have ordered poorly. the menu looks to be very veg friendly - and best of all - it's open until midnight. i'm a little nervous about places with kitchens only open until 10...what if it's slow and they close up a bit early? i'm off to search on galerias, but please feel free to post here too.

FWIW, I like Galerias.. I don't know if there's that much difference between the "new" and the "old" though.

RE: Galerias. I'm pretty much in the "thinking it's gross" camp.

Edit: Late in the evening, Galerias becomes a gay dance club. Not sure what time that happens, though.

Edited by MsRamsey (log)

"Save Donald Duck and Fuck Wolfgang Puck."

-- State Senator John Burton, joking about

how the bill to ban production of foie gras in

California was summarized for signing by

Gov. Schwarzenegger.

gay dance club + the new decor (isn't there something striking there...tequila layout??) might be enough to make it worth a second chance. how often can you eat an enchilada mole while taking in the dulcet tones of cher?

laurel - what do you like to eat at galerias?

lmf - carmelita is closed on mondays...along with most of the other upper end spots in town.

--6 Train

I dined at Galerias last week and was hugely unimpressed....and I've actually been known to willingly dine upon Taco Bell (on occasion). It was really, really not good.

Not sure what 'hood you're coming from but what about Agua Verde on Portage Bay (think its on Boat Street)? Weather today is beautiful and their sweet potato tacos (with sides of black beans, corn n' cactus salad and whipped spicy mashed potatoes) makes this "real" vegetarian very, very happy approximately one every four to five weeks. Their margs aren't half bad, either.

dragonfish has a late kitchen and is one of my best late night eatery spots. plenty for vegetarians on the menu. not terribly astounding but good and somewhat cosmopolitan.

cyclops is more casual but located not far from the clipper pier and has a fun atmosphere.

good luck. late night, esp. on a monday, really sucks in seattle.

lemony

I rescind my recommendation of Agua Verde on account of the fact that they close at 9pm. What about Palace Kitchen? They serve their full menu until 1pm, seven nights a week. As a veg, I don't ever remember having difficulty ordering there. Their menu also lists the ever-popular Laura Chenel goat cheese fondue, a ricotta cheese dumpling dish, potato-chevre ravioli (yum!), gazpacho and a couple of nice salads sans meat. And a lovely cheese plate.

agua verde would have been lovely...alas.

we're either going to go to the sitting room or meskel. adanzig - i tried to convince my boyfriend that we should go to Laibela again, but he wanted to go back to meskel. i think we'll do meskel one more time and then i'll be able to convince him to re-try Laibela. he's definitely not as moved by the scientific thrill as i am.

palace kitchen is one of my favorite places, but the menu is a little limited for vegetarians. also - i'm most certainly a freak about wanting them to have tons of choices...i guess at the end of the day, i'd rather give them great, varied food than a great atmosphere with more food they can't eat than food they can.

note to tighe - capitol club is an awesome idea, but i'm hosting a party there later this week already...

thanks so much to all for ideas...i'd love to take note of good open-monday spots!!

rk

--6 Train

<<we're either going to go to the sitting room or meskel. adanzig - i tried to convince my boyfriend that we should go to Laibela again, but he wanted to go back to meskel. i think we'll do meskel one more time and then i'll be able to convince him to re-try Laibela. he's definitely not as moved by the scientific thrill as i am. >>

Please report back regardless of which spot you choose. I'm curious to hear if your Meskel experience is as non-thrilling as mine. And, I've never been to the Sitting Room but am always looking for another veg-safe place to add to my list. Enjoy!!

Nell's is my old standby for Monday nights. Haven't noticed if they are particularly veg. friendly, but I'm sure if you called ahead Philip could whip something up for your friends.

Second Nell's, you may also want to try Union, they are open until 11pm and the menu can be pretty flexible for vegetarians.

Rocky

the ferry disembarkment (sp?) took much longer than i had anticipated - they didn't get off until about 9:40. i was exhausted and led them to elliot bay where honest pub food was consumed and enjoyed by all.

i've only been to nell's once and i wasn't impressed - what makes it your standard thelastsupper?

maybe we were there on an off night, but i didn't like the room or our service. and it was very empty on a saturday night.

--6 Train

I've only been to Nell's once, but my experience doesn't warrant a return. Service was so snooty. Food was fine, but when we were presented with dessert, it was different than what was requested. When asked what happened to our original request, our waiter claimed they had run out, and so presumed we'd want the selection they brought to us.

I'll happily give it another try, because people I trust really love it, but the only time I was there I felt like I was 90 years old. That's just the way the atmosphere makes you feel.

Gov. Schwarzenegger.

IMO, Julia's food is heinous.

Gov. Schwarzenegger.

ms. ramsey,

i had the same kind of experience at nells...we thought it had a geratric country club vibe. except that since it was empty...it was sad and a little creepy. i would go back - i just don't think i will.

julia's - ate there once. there's much better breakfast in seattle.

Edited by reesek (log)

--6 Train