• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Coming to DC this Saturday

Carlson1105

Coming to DC from Philadelphia for the weekend. Staying in Georgetown area. Looking for a good Saturday night restaurant, not too fancy. Heard Jaleo and other Jose Andres places are good. Will be with my wife, baby is staying with Grandma, so we would like something lively, good and fun. Any suggestions? Also, how about a good Sunday brunch? Thanks.

Previn Inc.

Supplier to Fine Restaurants.

Coming to DC from Philadelphia for the weekend. Staying in Georgetown area. Looking for a good Saturday night restaurant, not too fancy. Heard Jaleo and other Jose Andres places are good. Will be with my wife, baby is staying with Grandma, so we would like something lively, good and fun. Any suggestions? Also, how about a good Sunday brunch? Thanks.

Jaleo is always good. For a fun Saturday night place, you should also consider Firefly. Check out the thread in this forum.

"Whenever someone asks me if I want water with my Scotch, I say, 'I'm thirsty, not dirty' ". Joe E. Lewis

Do you want an over-the-top hotel brunch (with prices to match) or something low-key?

For brunch in Georgetown, I personally like Peacock Cafe but that's just me. I've also heard Paolo's (a local chain) has a nice brunch with live music of some sort, but I have only been there for dinner so I can't vouch for the brunch food (or music).

Edited by JennyUptown (log)

Go check out a part of DC that many tourists don't know about-- Eastern Market. Have brunch at Montmarte.

Or do what the locals do and go up the street to Market Lunch. Can't remember if they are open Sundays though

True Heroism is remarkably sober, very undramatic.

It is not the urge to surpass all others at whatever cost,

but the urge to serve others at whatever cost. -Arthur Ashe

I have similar plans, for an extended, long weekend. I would love several knockout restaurant ideas, cheap to expensive, as well as a lunch or two, and definitely some suggestions for must-do, indiginous Washington eats, similar to cheesesteaks and hoagies in Philadelphia.

Rich Pawlak

Reporter, The Trentonian

Feature Writer, INSIDE Magazine
Food Writer At Large

MY BLOG: THE OMNIVORE

"In Cerveza et Pizza Veritas"

I have similar plans, for an extended, long weekend.  I would love several knockout restaurant ideas, cheap to expensive, as well as a lunch or two, and definitely some suggestions for must-do, indiginous  Washington eats, similar to cheesesteaks and hoagies in Philadelphia.

I would definitely look into Ray's the Steaks for steaks, or, Restaurant Eve. There are threads on both.

As for indiginous DC food, good luck. The only thing that comes close is the half-smoke (a big hot dog), and I don't think it originated in DC. We have nothing similar to Philadelphia's famous cheesesteaks.

I really enjoy Cashion's for Sunday Brunch....good liesurely atmosphere, prices are very good, excellent coffee and an excellent pastry basket with one of the best croissants I have ever had.

I also second the eastern market/montmarte suggestion.

Nothing quite like a meal with my beautiful wife.

I went to Cafe Bonaparte for the first time on Sunday for spur-of-the-moment brunch. I would definitely recommend it. When we got there at 2:30 pm, it was packed, but the place is small. We sat at the bar and ordered. The focus here is on crepes, both savory and sweet. It was difficult to decide, but I went with the Monaco, which was turkey and swiss. There were actually 2 large crepes in this order, plus a small salad on the side. I was hoping to try a sweet crepe, but was so full, that I couldn't do it. Will definitely return and it is on Wisconsin Ave. in Georgetown, so a good option for brunch. They have a website www.cafebonaparte.com.

The Mini Bar would be a great idea except it's booked for the next two months. Mourayo in Dupont circle is fantastic. It is rarely talked about, but I think its' grilled fish is amazing. Cashion's has great food, but their service has been questionable as of late. The dim sum bruch at Cafe Atlantico is fun and casual. Teatro Goldoni on K street and Restaurant Eve in Alexandria are both fantastic places for upscale dining.

I love the Tabard Inn near Dupont Circle for Sunday brunch. There is a cute brick-walled garden for outdoor dining if it's nice out (link goes to photos). Inside, since it's an old inn, there are always new rooms i'm discovering to dine in, and little rooms for relaxing after brunch with a newspaper or something (which they have at the front desk.) It feels like a cozy place with lots of nooks and crannies. The food is delicious - and the donuts are especially good to share as a starter. The brunch menu is online, too - however, the menu does change so i don't know if the menu on the site is different form the current one. I always bring my parents, grandparents and friends from out of town to the Tabard Inn for brunch and everyone loves it. Not to mention the staff is knowledgeable, warm and friendly to boot, and its reasonably priced. I'd recommend a reservation - i think they get full, but you could probably call the day before and be okay. But call, b/c maybe I'm wrong.

I know they're open for dinner, too, but i've only been for brunch.

oooh, thinking about the Tabard Inn this makes me want to go this Sunday, too... :biggrin:

Edited to add: I realize it sounds like i work for them. I promise, i don't :biggrin:. I just love it there - as much for setting and ambience as for food.

Edited by LittleWing (log)

Eat.Drink.DC.

...dining in the district...

Ask not what you can do for your country. Ask what's for lunch.

- Orson Welles

• 2 weeks later...