• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Champagne to Celebrate a Birth

LindaJ

I'm expecting in October. If you were going to pick one (or a few!) bottles of champagne to have around the house, what would you pick?

I have always been partial to American sparklers, but I figure this is a terrific time to get some input from the experts. And also celebrate the fact Mommy can drink more than a couple ounces for the first time in months.

I know it's a girl, so PINK champagne suggestions would be welcome (I know, it's kinda cheesy!) :biggrin:

Oh yeah, I guess I should mention that it doesn't specifically have to be sparkling wine from the Champagne region.

Edited by LindaJ (log)

You know it is a girl? Then Veuve Cliquot is an excellent choice! Did you know that the Madame Cliquot inherited the winery from her husband upon his death and made it the famous house it is today? A great sparkler and SO invokes the strong, independent female spirit!

Congrats!

My favorite champagne is PIERRE PETERS.

It is a Grand Cru, Blanc de Blancs (100%chardonnay), and has the ultimate elegance and finesse.

I've tasted and drunk thousands of bubblies through the years, and I always come back to Pierre Peters.

I serve it at all of my special celebrations.

I also adore Egly-Ouriet, which is another of the great boutique producers, where quality definately out-weighs quantity. Their Rose is grand!

Best of luck.

Congratulations!

I second the Egly-Ouriet rose..although it may be difficult to find. I'm also a big fan Billecart-Salmon rose, which may be easier to locate. I guess rose would be a little more appropriate for a girl but any champagne/sparkler would be appropriate as well! :smile:

Congratulations!

I love the Besserat de Bellefon Brut Rose. We purchased it for Valentine's Day here at my resaurant and it was a big hit. Not too expensive for the quality either. About $28 retail (in PA at least) but tastes like it costs four times that. Delicious!

The Egly-Ouriet ain't too shabby either! The Diebolt-Vallois Cuvee Prestige Blanc de Blanc is crisp and lovely all Chardonnay and about $50 if you'd like something white and sparkly.

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

Paul Bara Brut Rose is another good option for a pink champagne. If you'd prefer white, go with Delamotte, Turgy, Egly-Ouriet, Jean Milan, Billecart Salmon, anything but Veuve Cliquot, Veuve yellow label isn't worth drinking and the Grand Dame is only good in excellent years.

How about a bubbly from your birthyear?

Check out the champagne region of Wine-Searcher.com. Scroll to the bottom and type in your year.

Oh, and congrats!!

Drink!

I refuse to spend my life worrying about what I eat. There is no pleasure worth forgoing just for an extra three years in the geriatric ward. --John Mortimera

Congrats, and if my little girl is anything to go by, you are in for some fun!

"Basic" pink - Ruinart

"better" pink - Billecart vintage (I think it;s called Cuvee Elizabeth)

If you don't want pink, I always think that Pol Roger Cuvee Sir Winston Churchill is hard to beat and for the price is better than DP (by a long way)

Ragarding purchasing Champagne from the 2004 vintage for your duaghter, you may wish to read this article. Of course, prognostications like this are written nearly every vintage.

But, as I understand it, you want something to drink personally and to drink now. For Rose Champagne, you've been offered some great suggestions with Egly-Ouriet, Billecart-Salmon (the NV and the Elisabeth), Besserat de Belelfon, and Jacquesson (which also makes a NV and a prestige, labeled Signature). To this list I would add Laurent-Perrier's NV and Vilmart's Cuvee Rubis.

If you are accustomed to California bubbly, howver, you may be in for a sticker shock when you see the prices of some of these bottles. But celebrations can always be an excuse to splurge.

Regarding rose from other regions, the one I've enjoyed most has been from Iron Horse in California.

We cannot employ the mind to advantage when we are filled with excessive food and drink - Cicero

You have had some fantastic selections up thread. My addition for the pink stuff would be Delbeck Rose. Attractive wine with and attractive price for the style. I also like Tattinger's Compte de Champagne Rose at a higher price point.

Congrats!

On a domestic side I like the Schramsberg Brut Rose and also think that the Gloria Ferrer Brut Rose is quite appealing as well. J Wine had a Brut Rose but they were phasing it out so don't know if they have any left.

I remember when my son was born having a bottle of Veuve Cliquot 'Royal Celebration Cuvee' which was out at that time period.

Charles a food and wine addict - "Just as magic can be black or white, so can addictions be good, bad or neither. As long as a habit enslaves it makes the grade, it need not be sinful as well." - Victor Mollo

Thank you all for your suggestions. They all sound super yummy. Now I have to research what is possible/available here in PA. I may need to make a road trip to Jersey if the state stores can't provide. I'll post some tasting notes in a couple months or so. A champagne tasting party seems an ideal way to celebrate!

So far no sticker shock. If I want to be amazed at prices, I just head over to Babies R Us :laugh:

Thank you all for your suggestions.  They all sound super yummy.  Now I have to research what is possible/available here in PA.  I may need to make a road trip to Jersey if the state stores can't provide.  I'll post some tasting notes in a couple months or so.  A champagne tasting party seems an ideal way to celebrate!

So far no sticker shock.  If I want to be amazed at prices, I just head over to Babies R Us  :laugh:

Linda:

Where in PA are you? I'm in Philly, but could certainly call my distributors on your bahalf and find out where their products are available either in Jersey or in which PLCB Specialty shops. The Besserat de Bellefon I recommended upthread is definitely an SLO in PA, but I could see how hard it is to find for you. Feel free to PM if I can assist in your celebratory toasting! :smile:

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

Katie,

I live in Bucks County. My nearest "real" state store is probably Doylestown. The one here in Quakertown seems to specialize in rows of Franzia Wine in a Box. I nearly passed out the first time I went in. I'm certainly willing to pick up in another store location in the Philly area.

I'd be delighted if you could call your distributors. I'm thinking of the Egly-Ouriet, Billecart-Salmon, and the Besserat de Bellefon as potential purchases. I know I can pick up some of the domestic stuff people mentioned in Doylestown.

My tee-totaling husband asked me last night, "What do we need champagne for? The baby's not going to drink champagne is she?" I love him, but his idea of throwing a party is buying Doritos and extra Diet Pepsi :rolleyes:

Thanks again!