• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

J. Bally Rums

Jason Perlow

In DC at Cafe Atlantico they had various J. Bally rums, including a 1979 and a 1982. I had too many mojitos so I didnt get a chance to try either of those. Apparently Jacques Bally Rum is owned by Mount Gay.

Anyone try these rums? InternetWines.com has the 1979 for $74.71, the '82 for $65, the '87 for $42, the '89 for $52, the '90 for $49.

According to a 2000 nightclub.com article it is also avalaible in 1924, 1929, 1955 and 1960 vintages. If this stuff is actually avalaible they may be a hell of a find at any price you can get them. InternetBevUSA.COM claims only 6 bottles of 1929 were allocated for the ENTIRE US, so they go for $800 a bottle. damn!

J. Bally at InternetBevUSA.com

J. Bally 1979 at internetwines.com

mq154.jpg

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

Welcome to the world of Bally. Since 1924, the distinctive square bottle has been recognized for quality. But before you lay down $800 for a bottle of rhum, believe that a bottle of 1924 J Bally hasn't been aging since 1924. I can't tell you how long that rum was aged but I can tell since, and probably before, 1993, J Bally rhum vieux was aged six years in oak barrels and then bottled. So when you buy a bottle of 1889 J Bally, you are probably getting a six year old rhum at a premium price. When I'm ready to spend a wad on some Martinique I'll head back to the island and save some money as well as have a great time on a beautiful island.

Edward Hamilton

Ministry of Rum.com

The Complete Guide to Rum

When I dream up a better job, I'll take it.

Ed. . Glad to hear you want to go back to Martinique, I want to get there soon. I found and ordered "Severn Dreams of Elmira" by Patrick Chamoiseau (writer from Martinique). Turns out to be a wonderfull book with insites to the workers at Saint Etienne distillery. Half the book is photos of the old workers and the old distillery plant. Unfortunately its a small book, only 80 aprox pages long. But maybe thats the way it should be, not to have to much of a good thing.  While checking through The Ministry of Rum site to see what was new, I found that this was on your list of books to read, otherwise I would have recomended it to you.

So Ed my question is, I know the distillery is closed down ( when.?..) but that they still age then bottle rum for local consumption. maybe untill some one sees Elmira again. Where would they be getting their rum from, would it be La favorite or some one else ?.

While in Martinique did you get to Saint Etienne distillery  and have you tasted their rum and had the good fortune to see Elmira?.

By the way for thoes looking at Bally, They should read your book and the chapter on this topic. You explain the mistique of Bally quite well.  You could also, in this forum mention the french dating system for reliable vintages, on the neck foil just below the screw cap or the cut line if its a corked bottle.

Hope to hear about your dreams of Elmira !

John Reekie

Seven Dreams of Elmira is the second book that any self respecting rum lover should have in their collection. As for the distillery when I was first there in '94 it had been closed for 7 years. But what a picturesque place. About ten miles or more from any major town, the distillery is now a tourist site featuring the plantation houses and they are working on the distillery.

The rum is now being distilled by Simon on the east coast of the island, also a place to see. Aging is done in warehouses around the island.

As for Elmira, I haven't seen her but I'm sure I've seen at one of her daughters living in Martinique.

Edward Hamilton

Ministry of Rum.com

The Complete Guide to Rum

When I dream up a better job, I'll take it.