• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Jean Georges and Nougatine 2005 - 2008

mukki

I've never known it to be entirely booked up for lunch.

I do know that more people know about lunch at Nougatine than at JG.

That $20.04 lunch is what grabs interest....and it's not like there's a website telling you about the other....

i work at Jo Jo..

I thought it was $24.07 at all of his restaurants for a 3 course prix fixe, and $12 each additional course?

With that being said, why eat in nougatine over the main dining room unless the dining room didn't do a pf lunch?

edit: oh its $28 for 2 plates and $12 each additional plate, at jean georges... its probably $24.07 at nougatine.

Edited by chefboy24 (log)

There are certainly valid reasons for choosing one over the other either way. One is that on Saturdays Nougatine is open for lunch while Jean-Georges is not. My question was not meant to be smarmy or sarcastic. I am curious, having had lunch in both places (on a Saturday at Nougatine). Nougatine was fine, but J-G transcendant and an incredible deal for the quality of food as well. If I had the choice, I would almost always dine at J-G over Nougatine. Besides J-G is not so formal as to be stuffy. I don't think the environment is significantly more formal at J-G than at Nougatine.

John Sconzo, M.D. aka "docsconz"

"Remember that a very good sardine is always preferable to a not that good lobster."

- Ferran Adria on eGullet 12/16/2004.

Docsconz - Musings on Food and Life

Slow Food Saratoga Region - Co-Founder

Twitter - @docsconz

That $20.04 lunch is what grabs interest....and it's not like there's a website telling you about the other....

I think Nathan is absolutely right about this. You might even be surprised at how "famous" lunch at Nougatine is as a good deal -- even though, when you think about it for more than a minute, lunch at JG is a better deal.

I think Nathan is absolutely right about this. You might even be surprised at how "famous" lunch at Nougatine is as a good deal -- even though, when you think about it for more than a minute, lunch at JG is a better deal.

That is why I asked the question I did.

"Remember that a very good sardine is always preferable to a not that good lobster."

Twitter - @docsconz

I think it's what Nathan said: a lot of people don't even KNOW about the lunch "deal" at JG. I have a feeling it's because when the place first opened, Nougatine got a decent amount of publicity as the part of the restaurant that serves a cheaper lunch. There's never been that much publicity for the modestly-priced lunch at JG proper -- even though many of us would say it's probably the best dining value in New York City.

Edited by Sneakeater (log)

I think it's what Nathan said:  a lot of people don't even KNOW about the lunch "deal" at JG.  I have a feeling it's because when the place first opened, Nougatine got a decent amount of publicity as the part of the restaurant that serves a cheaper lunch.  There's never been that much publicity for the modestly-priced lunch at JG proper -- even though many of us would say it's probably the best dining value in New York City.

Maybe it's better that way :wink:

Twitter - @docsconz

well - i finally got the answer from jg's corporation service director

he says lunch at nougatine is boom boom boom, in and out in an hour, which many people like to do.

lunch in the formal dining room is designed for people who don't have to go back to work, or have 2 hours to spend on lunch....

and if you do have the time to kill.... there's really no reason to go to nougatine for lunch

Oops. My mistake then, I thought Nougatine was what everyone's been raving about. I'm going to change my reservation for JG :-) Thanks for the heads up. I was thinking of going on a weekend so I'd have plenty of time to sit and enjoy. With that said, back to my original question...

"" Planning to have lunch at JG. Is the prix-fixe (is there one?) enough for 2 people to sample the different flavors there or are there additional courses that are must-haves?

What is the budget I'm looking at for 2 (say glass of wine each)... ""

Thanks!

"On ne voit bien qu'avec le coeur. L'essentiel est invisible pour les yeux." - Le Petit Prince

Visit My Webpage

there is a set (pretty long) list of courses, of which a couple will carry a supplement.

you can pick two for $28. additional courses are $12 each.

so, if you each got two courses and a glass of wine ($10)...after tax and tip you're looking at about $55 each.

everyone has their own must-haves:

I don't have the foggiest clue if any of the following are on the menu right now but:

personally, I'm partial to the frog's legs with young garlic soup, the cauliflower and scallops dish, the egg with caviar (if they have this it will be with a supplemental charge), any turbot preparation...

thanks...

what are some must haves?

gallery_8158_3648_129749.jpg

If this is on the menu (Charred Corn Ravioli, Basil Fondue, Cherry Tomato Salad), it is ethereal. I love all the other suggestions as well.

If you are planning on a weekend, you won't have a choice. You will have to go to Nougatine as the main dining room doesn't serve lunch on Saturdays.

Twitter - @docsconz

it does on Sundays, however

With the same format? Ifso, I have learned something :cool:.

Twitter - @docsconz

The main dining room is never open on sundays.

Indeed, you are correct. The hours from their website are listed as

Lunch: Mon-Fri 12:00PM-2:30PM

Dinner: Mon-Fri 5:30PM-11:00PM

Sat 5:15PM-11:00PM

Closed Sunday

I guess I will return to my previous ignorance. :raz:

Twitter - @docsconz

I stand corrected.

edit:

This is surprising. Several weeks ago I made a lunch reservation for a Sunday in the main dining room at JG (I specifically requested the main dining room)...I had to cancel it for schedule reasons. Unless she scheduled me for the Nougatine anyway......

Edited by Nathan (log)

I stand corrected.

edit:

This is surprising.  Several weeks ago I made a lunch reservation for a Sunday in the main dining room at JG (I specifically requested the main dining room)...I had to cancel it for schedule reasons.  Unless she scheduled me for the Nougatine anyway......

In addition to lunch on Saturdays, Nougatine does serve brunch on Sundays from 12PM to 3PM.

Your example illustrates why both the Main Dining Room at Jean-Georges and Nougatine share the same thread. It is because the restaurant itself appears to treat them as variations of the same product. Indeed they share the same kitchen, though the menus, the ambiance and in fact, the culinary product are different.

BTW, Nougatine is perfectly fine for lunch, dinner and I imagine brunch. It is just that although it still represents good value for lunch during the week, the value pales in comparison to its conjoined sibling.

Twitter - @docsconz