• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Jean Georges and Nougatine 2005 - 2008

mukki

im going to JG this friday, i noticed docsconz graciously took pics of his meal there...is that typical? would i look kind of weird/funny if i were sitting in the dining room taking pics of my meal?

I believe that restaurant food photography has become much more commonplace. That being said, a lot depends on location and lighting. We sat in a relatively private alcove with pretty good natural light. If in a situation that you are not shooting bright flash directly into another party, it is not usually much of an issue, but discretion is always necessary. If one is obnoxious at a high end restaurant with a camera someone generally lets you know it.

John Sconzo, M.D. aka "docsconz"

"Remember that a very good sardine is always preferable to a not that good lobster."

- Ferran Adria on eGullet 12/16/2004.

Docsconz - Musings on Food and Life

Slow Food Saratoga Region - Co-Founder

Twitter - @docsconz

Thanks for the reply Doc! now...does anyone know how much extra it is for a wine pairing w/ the tasting menu?

While I can't answer this question, I would like to welcome you to eGullet! Forgive me for not doing so in my previous response.

"Remember that a very good sardine is always preferable to a not that good lobster."

Twitter - @docsconz

Thanks for the reply Doc! now...does anyone know how much extra it is for a wine pairing w/ the tasting menu?

While I can't answer this question, I would like to welcome you to eGullet! Forgive me for not doing so in my previous response.

Just came back from dinner at Jean Georges, the wine pairing was $90 extra. I had the signature menu, while my partner had the Winter Menu. Both had some hits and misses, one of my faves was the Foie Gras terrine w/ the pistachios, it was like i died and went to heaven. wow.

What were the misses and why?

The scallops that were part of the Signature menu totally didn't WOW me. i couldn't taste the scallops, although I may have been spoiled by the scallops from the first course of the winter menu. Although that sauce was to die for. My companion however, totally disagreed w/ me :angry::biggrin:

And as for the Turbot dish, the sauce was great, but the fish didn't do anything for me either, similar to the scallops. My companion had the sea bass in the coconut juice, and that was just sublime.

And the last thing was the dessert. I picked the Nut_Honey desserts, while my companion had the Chocolate. out of the 8 desserts, only 3 were fantastic, one of them being the molten chocolate cake.

Everything else however, was stellar, and definetely made the trip worthwhile.

• 2 weeks later...

I just had dinner at Nougatine last night, and while the food was as solid as always, I was a little irked by the service. It took our waiter about 15 minutes to bring us a cocktail menu when it was asked for. One busboy spilled water all over me (not while pouring - while walking back to the kitchen - he tripped) and just kept walking. Then, someone took my water glass away before dessert and about 45 minutes before we left. Everyone else still had their glasses - don't know why they took mine. The whole thing was very odd, and totally out of line with my other experiences at Nougatine and in the main dining room.

Food was good, though! :laugh:

"We had dry martinis; great wing-shaped glasses of perfumed fire, tangy as the early morning air." - Elaine Dundy, The Dud Avocado

Queenie Takes Manhattan

eG Foodblogs: 2006 - 2007

My last experience at Nougatine back in 2004 was not good, particularly from a service perspective - so much so that it took me until December of 2005 to go back to Jean-Georges. I will gladly return to J-G, I'm still not sure about Nougatine, though.

Twitter - @docsconz

• 1 month later...

Based on Docsconz' recommendation and the post upthread, I went to J-G for lunch this past Friday and had a fantastic meal and impeccable service. We had a great table overlooking the main dining room. The lunch is a great value to boot.

We had an amuse trio of salmon spring roll, parsnip soup with meyer lemon syrup and chipotle oil and a spoonful of cara cara topped with a cheese whose name escapes me at the moment.

We also had:

Goat cheese royale with beet marmalade, toasted pistachios and goat cheese foam. This was a cheese custard, very rich and salty which played well with the sweet beets. Fantastic. This was for me the highlight of the meal along with the broiled squab that docsconz spoke of above. I agree completely - it rocked and rolled.

As my wife loves foie gras, we sampled the foie gras terrine over brioche along with dried cherries and candied pistachios. I had only a taste since I needed to pace myself. We ordered quite a bit for two.

Next we tried the turbot with chateau chalon sauce, topped with tomato and zucchini dice. At the same time, we also had the scottish cod over lentils in a gruyere broth, served with glazed carrots. The fish was dusted with a sage powder which was a pretty interesting touch. Excellent. My only knock is that both the fish plates were kinda salty. Granted, I am probably salt sensitive here but I would think a kitchen of this caliber would not need to lay it on so thick.

Next up was the Soy glazed veal cheek on a celery root puree topped with a compote of apple and jalapeno. We had that along with the squab course.

We finished with the sweetbreads shown above - very good but to me it had lost the consistency I am used to of the semi-unctuous texture. Still, excellent and that lemon puree had some real citrus pop.

Desserts were good as well. I had the "honey-nut" option of an orange honey creme tart, accompanied by a soft nougat of cranberry laced with a tiny hint of star anise. We also had the warm chocolate cake, vanilla ice cream and dark cocoa sorbet drizzled with olive oil.

Not ringing the closing bell yet, we were treated to a sampling of chocolate truffles and of lightly flavored grapefruit, coffee and vanilla marshmallows - freshly snipped as seen above (by the very same person actually).

I went to Nougatine once a while back and that was, for me, pretty average fare. I had mistakenly thought the two rooms served the same fare. Glad docsconz cleared up that misconception for me.

Evan

Dough can sense fear.

We finished with the sweetbreads shown above - very good but to me it had lost the consistency I am used to of the semi-unctuous texture.  Still, excellent and that lemon puree had some real citrus pop.

Great report Evan. I am also used to the semi-unctuous texture of sweetbreads I normally describe them as meaty tasting foie. How would you say the texture of these sweetbreads compare to those at Casa Mono or SK?

I am also used to the semi-unctuous texture of sweetbreads I normally describe them as meaty tasting foie. How would you say the texture of these sweetbreads compare to those at Casa Mono or SK?

Matt. Funny you should say that. I have never been to Casa Mono. Next time. I had a reservation there but cancelled because we were only going to be in midtown, so I can't answer that. These sweetbreads had a more toothsome texture - almost like a steak fish.

One question: What is cara cara?

Pan. Cara Cara is a variety of orange.

Dough can sense fear.

• 1 month later...

According to Eater, Frank Bruni will review Jean Georges in this Wednesday's times—JG's first since Ruth Reichl's four-star review shortly after it opened in 1997.

I don't know how, but Eater has pretty consistently known the Times review target in advance, so I take this as a reliable source.

Edited by oakapple (log)

According to Eater, Frank Bruni will review Jean Georges in this Wednesday's times—JG's first since Ruth Reichl's four-star review shortly after it opened in 1997.

I don't know how, but Eater has pretty consistently known the Times review target in advance, so I take this as a reliable source.

The Meal i had here a few weeks a go was among the best I have had anywhere

including 9 Michelin 3 star restaurants in Europe last fall

Jean-Georges is operating at very high standerts right now.

it would be a shame if he did not get 4 stars.

very interesting!! i wish i knew how they knew, too.

i served frank bruni last monday. good times.

jg will definitely get 4 again, no question. i mean if he gave country 3, obviously jg will get 4.

jg will definitely get 4 again, no question.  i mean if he gave country 3, obviously jg will get 4.

I also think that his very generous take on Perry St leaves very little room for JG to be anything but four stars. Besides, there are only five four-star restaurants on the current list, which is (or is close to) an historic low. To reduce the number to just four would be perverse.

Regardless of the outcome, Daniel will be only remaining four-star restaurant not reviewed by Frank Bruni.

The Meal i had here a few weeks a go was among the best I have had anywhere

including 9 Michelin 3 star restaurants in Europe last fall

Jean-Georges is operating at very high standerts right now.

it would be a shame if he did not get 4 stars.

Ditto (although, I only managed to make it to 6 Michelin 3 starred-restaurantes in Europe last fall! :laugh: )

It would be a shame, but I don't think he (and his staff) will.

u.e.

“Watermelon - it’s a good fruit. You eat, you drink, you wash your face.”

Italian tenor Enrico Caruso (1873-1921)

ulteriorepicure.com

My flickr account

ulteriorepicure@gmail.com

Solid review, lengthy introduction notwithstanding. He exposes perhaps my biggest quibble with JG while at the same time explaining how many of the same ideas still work remarkably well. The notes on the service are also in line with my numerous experiences there.

Solid review, lengthy introduction notwithstanding.  He exposes perhaps my biggest quibble with JG while at the same time explaining how many of the same ideas still work remarkably well.  The notes on the service are also in line with my numerous experiences there.

You have a quibble with the dessert menus?

Curious...

2317/5000

Solid review, lengthy introduction notwithstanding.  He exposes perhaps my biggest quibble with JG while at the same time explaining how many of the same ideas still work remarkably well.  The notes on the service are also in line with my numerous experiences there.

You have a quibble with the dessert menus?

Curious...

no the quibble being that the dishes stay the same year after year.

Yes, a solid performance by Mr. Bruni. The introduction on JGV's sprawling empire was a bit overdone, but it certainly was a note that had to be sounded. The comment on his disappointing meal at JoJo is consistent with my experiences there.

Bruni has not lived in New York for most of the last decade, so his comments on the restaurant's evolution—or the lack thereof—cannot come from personal observation. Is the menu really as static as the review implies?

Edited by oakapple (log)

It's about time.

It's about time Bruni wrote a review that was well written and on target in all aspects. It is also about time that J-G was re-reviewed. Interesting comments about menu stasis here. I haven't eaten there enough for it to be noticeable or make a difference to me if it is in fact the case. What I have eaten there though was good enough for me to eat ovcer and over again on the rare occasions I get to visit there.

Twitter - @docsconz