• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Jean Georges and Nougatine 2005 - 2008

mukki

I'm hoping to visit NY in April next year - is it really two courses for $28 for lunch ? In a 3 star establishment ? It sounds too good to be true... what are the hidden extras ?!

No hidden extras. You'll get amuses and mignardises, although if you want a third course, or dessert, its an additional (and weel-spent) $12.

“Watermelon - it’s a good fruit. You eat, you drink, you wash your face.”

Italian tenor Enrico Caruso (1873-1921)

ulteriorepicure.com

My flickr account

ulteriorepicure@gmail.com

I'm hoping to visit NY in April next year - is it really two courses for $28 for lunch ? In a 3 star establishment ? It sounds too good to be true... what are the hidden extras ?!

There are no hidden extras.

Each additional plate after 2 courses is $12 and desserts are $8.

Additionally, you get amuse bouche and marshmallows and chocolate (house made)as a desert. IMO, it's the best dining deal in the NYC. It's only available during weekdays.

Edited by gatilgan (log)

• 3 weeks later...

We began with great enthusiasm and ended with marked ambivalence.

First the positve..The reception was polished. We enjoyed the ambiance and gracious service at the bar..although one wonders whether a glass of rose champagne should bear a $29 tariff. The usually breath taking floral arrangments were rather bland; Could the florist be away for Labor Day?

The day had turned overcast and was threatening rain so perhaps it was this outdoor weather which made the indoor diningroom seem rather dim and bland.

Petite bunches of undistinguished flowers added nothing to the table. But our enthusiasm still reigned. And we were receiving excellent service from our 'team'.. polished, attentive, unobtrusive and correct.

Unfortunately it was the food that failed us. We chose the [$148] seasonal tasting menu. It began well with 'Egg Toast'....not 'The Egg', a personal favorite... but a very tasty presentation of coddled yolks between buttered, toasted brioche, topped w. American sturgeon caviar. The dill came in the form of sprigs which tested the technique of getting food neatly into your mouth. Pristine tuna tatare followed, made spicey by a chili emulsion and bland by avocade cubes..one thumb in each direction. Petite ravioli filled w charred corn and herbs in a rather strong basil broth w. cherry tomatoes also received one thumb in each direction. The bass was bland and undistinguished,garnering two thumbs down. The gently cooked lobster was overwhelmed by its heavy perfuming by cardamon and star anise although the coconut-kaffir lime broth was surprisingly gentle. Slices of tender, rosy veal tenderloin sat atop atrichoke and white beans but were so very, very salty that they had to be returned to the kitchen as inedible; not so tender pieces replaced them. This dish was a major disappointment.

Four dessert platters were offered...one seasonal [laste summer] and 3 flavors[strawberry, cherry & chocolate]. Each platter had 4 offerings. Both were extremely disappointing. On the chocolate, only the petite molten cake was tasty. The strawberry plate had a non-tasty snow cone, a wrethced strawberry cake surrounded by gluey chocolate w. "pop rocks", inedible strawberry cheesecake logs..only the intense strawberr sorbet was worth finishing. Perhaps the pastry staff was off for Labor Day?

The apricot marshmallows struck the right cord while the mini macarons were all crust, no soft center.

With the modest wine chosen, this was a $500 dinner. We left feeling that it certainly hadn't been worth this. Ironically, pre theatre matinee we had shared a hot pastrami sandwich at Maxie's. It was fabulous!

Edited by PaulaJK (log)

Four dessert platters were offered...one seasonal [laste summer] and 3 flavors[strawberry, cherry & chocolate]. Each platter had 4 offerings. Both were extremely disappointing. On the chocolate, only the petite molten cake was tasty. The strawberry plate had a non-tasty snow cone, a wrethced strawberry cake surrounded by gluey chocolate w. "pop rocks", inedible strawberry cheesecake logs..only the intense strawberr sorbet was worth finishing. Perhaps the pastry staff was off for Labor Day?

Wow. Really?

A friend and I both had the strawberry dessert when we were there on August 9th. We both agreed it was phenomenal. My friend said it was better than any of his three savory courses. The snow cone was intensely flavored and delicious. The pop rocks were a pleasant surprise that took us both back to our childhoods. The cheesecake was a nice twist from the usual cheesecake laden with Philadelphia Cream Cheese. The sorbet was different, but excellent.

Edit for a typo.

Edited by WiscoNole (log)

• 3 weeks later...

I'm heading here for lunch on Monday for a wedding anniversary. I've never eaten at JG, and intend on getting three dishes for myself and probably two for my wife.

Here's the Summer Tastes Menu from their website right now:

Tastes Of Summer (2008)

Two Plates $28, Each Additional Plate $12

Egg Caviar (supp 30.00)

Sea Trout Sashimi Draped In Trout Eggs lemon, dill and horseradish

Kampachi Sashimi iceberg lettuce, cilantro-shallot mignonette

Goat Cheese Gnocchi caramelized baby artichokes, lemon and olive oil

Chilled Peekytoe Crab carrot, cardamom and lime

Heirloom Watermelon Gazpacho tomato and basil

Warm Green Asparagus Salad

Watercress And Sugar Snap Pea Salad lemon-soy vinaigrette and crystalized mustard

Sweet Pea Soup croutons and parmesan

Foie Gras Terrine slow-roasted strawberries and aged balsamic vinegar

Young Garlic Soup with thyme, sautéed frog legs

Gulf Shrimp And Smoked Bacon papaya mustard and avocado

Sea Scallops caramelized cauliflower, caper-raisin emulsion (supp 8.00)

Skate with chateau chalon sauce

Arctic Char asparagus and oyster mushrooms, ginger-sesame sabayon

Red Snapper Crusted with Nuts and Seeds sweet and sour jus

Steamed Halibut with honshimeji mushrooms and lemongrass consommé

Parmesan Crusted Confit Leg Of Chicken white asparagus, basil and lemon butter

Roasted Veal and poached kumquats, creamy cauiflower

Roasted Sweetbreads with fragrant pickled peach, wild arugula and pink peppercorn

Short Rib Vinaigrette pea puree and baby carrots

It's gonna be very difficult to talk me out of the Young Garlic Soup with Frogslegs, cause it's getting a little chilly out there right now, and it's meant to be a classic dish.

I'm really disappointed to see the "Tuna Ribbons avocado, spicy radish, ginger marinade" is not on the menu, cause I almost bought the signed painting of it from auction, it looked so stunning (https://www.cmarket.com/auction/item/Browse.action?auctionId=59707427 - bought the Ripert one instead, it's a restaurant and dish we've enjoyed previously). I wonder if this is a temporary or seasonal change? Menupages lists it on their capture of the Summer 2008 menu, so it got pulled at some point from the rotation.

I read that the bottom dishes tend to have more substance then the top ones, so I might go for the veal, chicken or sweetbreads my 3rd dish. Which probably leaves a seafood course, is the classic scallop dish the best bet there?

Also, does anyone know if they do a cheese course at lunch?

Will report back after Monday.

The classic JG lunch, in my mind, is foie brulee, fish with chateau chalon, and the squab (which is not on the menu right now, it seems). Instead, I'd go with the short ribs but they are quite vinegary. If not, then the sweetbreads.

The classic JG lunch, in my mind, is foie brulee, fish with chateau chalon, and the squab (which is not on the menu right now, it seems).  Instead, I'd go with the short ribs but they are quite vinegary.  If not, then the sweetbreads.

That's interesting. I won't disagree with the fish-of-the-moment with Chateau Chalon or the squab, but both the tuna ribbons and the bacon prawns come to mind for lunch.

“Watermelon - it’s a good fruit. You eat, you drink, you wash your face.”

Italian tenor Enrico Caruso (1873-1921)

ulteriorepicure.com

My flickr account

ulteriorepicure@gmail.com

I'm heading here for lunch on Monday for a wedding anniversary.  I've never eaten at JG, and intend on getting three dishes for myself and probably two for my wife.

We ate there last Monday. You'll be happy to hear that the tuna ribbons were on the menu. The watermelon gazpacho is very highly recommended - a classic JG dish with incredibly bright, acidic flavors and a not inconsiderable amount of heat. Wish I could remember my second course - it was something else involving tomatoes and basil (I think) that was really quite good despite my unfortunate memory lapse. I do remember thinking that these two courses together represented so much of what is great about JG's cooking [edit - it just came back to me - the corn ravioli (duh)].

Don't order the veal expecting a substantial plate - it is five small slices of loin (maybe 4-5 oz. total) with a few pieces of kumquat and a small strip of cauliflower puree. Not a great dish, and my wife wasn't wild about the current short ribs dish either, so meat proteins are not the strong point of the current menu.

Finally, whichever dessert plate includes the plum sorbet was the best lunch dessert I've ever had here. I also noticed a solo diner across the room who received a plate of mixed sorbets and ice creams as an alternative to the standard dessert combinations - this strikes me as a very interesting alternative and one I might try myself in the future.

Edited by Robin Meredith (log)

I go to NY only every 4 years or so, and I would like to have the best experience (and tasting the most and best) I can have at JG.

My doubt is: People talk a lot about what a bargain is to lunch at JG; but considering the above, can one lunch match a dinner with the tasting menu there (is there a tatstinh menu at lunch?)? Would I have to spend the same amount of money to have a similar experience? Should I do two lunches instead of one dinner?

I know this is very subjective, but I would appreciate some comments on this.

Thanks a lot.

Just trying to eat some good food and learn in the process with all the well versed foodies here. Please don't hold me too accountable for my so personal opinions! :)

I go to NY only every 4 years or so, and I would like to have the best experience (and tasting the most and best) I can have at JG.

My doubt is: People talk a lot about what a bargain is to lunch at JG; but considering the above, can one lunch match a dinner with the tasting menu there (is there a tatstinh menu at  lunch?)? Would I have to spend the same amount of money to have a similar experience? Should I do two lunches instead of one dinner?

I know this is very subjective, but I would appreciate some comments on this.

Thanks a lot.

Although there is no tasting menu on the lunch menu, I am sure that if you asked they can put together a menu to your liking. However, there is nothing like dinner in the main dining room. Remember, the two tasting menus at dinner, the classic and the seasonal menu (which recently changed) are $148, .

I love JG for lunch. I have done a tasting menu at lunch. The waiter asked if we would like to have the chef cook for us and it was around 7 courses. I think it was around $75/person (great value) and it was lovely.

I would highly recommend the sea trout sashimi (so good!), the sea urchin are a MUST if they are available, the halibut is sensational, the gazpacho was terrific and the skate is also amazing. The portions near the bottom are larger but my favorite dishes always seem to be near the top. Enjoy!

Thanks. Great ideas/comments.

Should I make a reservation for lunch, or can I just walk-in? It will be a party of three. In case of walk-in, which time is better, near opening (12pm) or near closing (2:30p) or any?

Just trying to eat some good food and learn in the process with all the well versed foodies here. Please don't hold me too accountable for my so personal opinions! :)

What a wonderful lunch this was. First, here is our full menu:

gallery_61507_6225_3758.jpg

Despite earlier claims that I would try to eat from each section of the menu, in point of fact I barely made it half way through, despite ordering 4 courses instead of 3.

My choices:

Tuna Ribbons, avocado, spicy radish, ginger marinade

gallery_61507_6225_9826.jpg

Simply put: One of the best dishes of my life, and as is often the case with ones favorite dishes, I'm not even a big fan of tuna or ginger. Everything about this spells out 3 stars (not that I'm qualified), the beauty of the tuna, the intensity of the ginger marinade, the creaminess of the avocado and the spice of the hot (red) oil. Picture included, although it doesn't do it justice.

Peekytoe Crab and Squash Blossom Beignet, market cherry tomatoes and raspberry vinaigrette

gallery_61507_6225_32022.jpg

I hadn't seen this dish mentioned anywhere, so I included a photo, but the "beignet" itself was superb. I'm guessing they folded a small amount of beaten eggwhites in with the crab meat, since despite the blossom being jam packed with crab, it remained very light inside and wonderfully crunchy on the outside. I didn't finish all those tomatoes.

Foie Gras Brulee, spiced fig jam and toasted brioche

Glad I tried it, the jam and the ice wine verjus (once again, spicy!) made the dish to be quite frank.

Young Garlic Soup with thyme, sauteed frog legs

So... frogs legs taste similar to a white fleshed fish? I thought they tasted like chicken?? The soup was everything I expected, generous broad slivers of garlic, lots of thyme and tremendous flavors.

My wife had:

Japanese Snapper Carpaccio, vinegar gelee with ginger, white radish and olive oil

Paired up with the tuna, this looked incredibly boring - white on white on white and a small amount. It was only once we tasted everything in combination with the explosive gelee (it made me tear up when I tasted it separately) that it made sense. Still... in contrast this couldn't hang with the Tuna.

Charred Corn Raviolis, cherry tomato salad and basil fondue

Delicious flavor and color, and vegetarian taboot.

Parmesan Crusted Confit Leg of Chicken, white asparagus, basil and lemon butter

A very generous serving, and according to my wife the best chicken she's had. Incredibly rich.

Dessert wasn't really our style, although here is what we had:

"Autumn"

Plum Sorbet, wine grape raisins

Verbena Poached Peaches, mint ice cream, hazelnut brittle, bourbon honey

"Cherry"

Creme Fraiche-Citrus sponge, sangria poached cherries, frozen pine

Pistachio, Sour Cherry Sorbet, candied pistachios, freeze dried cherries

And then the awesome trolley!:

gallery_61507_6225_1399.jpg

Our overall impression? It seems to me that getting 3 stars really has to be all about the food (the food was a revelation), cause the atmosphere here was a pretty big let down (and that's with "Mad Money" Jim Cramer in the room!). Getting through Nougatine was noisy, the JG room is somewhat small and somewhat crowded and the view is tastefully but purposefully covered up with small leafy trees. Service was tremendous, it was more the establishment that was a let down. The bathrooms were ATROCIOUS, the rim of the seat in men's room reminded me of Shea Stadium, and there is only 1 single person toilet per gender for both restaurants. Tourists in shoddy gear seemed to be everywhere too, although only a few made it into the JG room to stay.

If you look at the food on the plate, this is the best deal, and probably the best food (period) around. We left STUFFED, had 2 drinks, 2 iced-teas, fiji water, 7 courses, 2 desserts and coffee for $200. But it's what was around us that left us with the realization that for future "very special occasions", we're still likely to head across the round-about, and up 4 flights of stairs. But I'm also certain that I now have a restaurant that I simply have to return to every chance I get, cause it was that good.

= I have done a tasting menu at lunch.  The waiter asked if we would like to have the chef cook for us and it was around 7 courses.  I think it was around $75/person (great value) and it was lovely.

Oh, BTW. I did ask our captain/server if they had this option, and she said nope - just what's on the menu. You did good!

• 3 weeks later...