• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The Bialy Eaters

alacarte

I'm pleased that you liked Bialy Eaters and also that you enjoyed Kossar's..I hope you selected those that were well-done, crisp and brown as the pale ones are not very good. As a matter of fact, Kossar's has declined somewhat and my next mini-project is to find an even better source somehwere in NYC.

I have no bigger projects at the moment but am thinking of something havign to do with taste and flavors.

I'm pleased that you liked Bialy Eaters and also that you enjoyed Kossar's..I hope you selected those that were well-done, crisp and brown as the pale ones are not very good. As a matter of fact, Kossar's has declined somewhat and my next mini-project is to find an even better source somehwere in NYC.

I have no bigger projects at the moment but am thinking of something havign to do with taste and flavors.

Kossar's has declined? Please, say it ain't so! I can't think of anything better than a Kossar's bialy "mit schmear" and a cup of strong coffee. Some Sunday mornings I ache to be back in the East Village (NYU in the early 80's) sitting at my kitchen table eating Kossar's bialys with homemade yogurt cheese and Essex street pickles.

I see Mr. Melamed occasionally at my office, and I have always wanted to talk to him about the book -- but he is such a big macher, I've always demurred!

I agree with you that bialys are best left to the pros, but when the urge gets irresistable, I make the recipe in Secrets of a Jewish Baker. I use all fresh onions, though, since I never skeep dehydrated around. They are passable, and they ease me over the hump!

BTW -- I not only loved The Bialy Eaters, but I loved your book on Chicken Soup. I guess I've made more than a dozen recipes from the book.

Have you thought about borscht? I have never been in any situation where having a beet hurt!

Aidan

"Ess! Ess! It's a mitzvah!"

Alas, yes..Kossar's bialys have become somewhat softer and breadier and they have become stingy with the onions.

Leo Melamed maybe a big macher, but he's a pushover for talk of bialys or pickles or herring..give it a try and send him my best.

Have you ever tried a bialy with chicken soup? I haven't, but the idea just occurred to me.

Have you ever tried a bialy with chicken soup? I haven't, but the idea just occurred to me.

Actually, I have! A friend shipped me some bialys, but by the time they shipped, even overnight, they were past their prime. I ate several, and by then they were stale. So I cut the bialy into chunks, put them in the bottom of a soup bowl, poured chicken soup with vegetables over it, and it was pretty good. Probably not what you were thinking, but I hate to waste food!

Aidan

"Ess! Ess! It's a mitzvah!"

Here's a way to reconstitute if slightly stale...moisten hands with water and rub over all sides of hardened bialy, wrap snugly in foil and bake for 7 or 8 minutes or until soft in 425 degree oven..unwrap and continue baking for 3 or 4 min, or until surface is crisp. Eat at once or they will die again.

I live just up the block from Kossar's, and have too noticed a decline in the quality - similar to what has happened to bagels over the years, though not quite as drastic. Is it the homogenization of certain foods, to make them more appealing to the masses (in Kossar's case, as the masses move to the lower east side)? I mean, they even have a sign in their window for low-carb bagels!

Correctly, you must always ask for well-done ones (and as an aside, toasted they're pretty darn good!).

Please let us know, Mimi, if you find any other sources that you deem worthy - I'd venture a guess the outer boroughs may be where they lurk.

And Russ & Daughters, please stay true to your roots.

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

It is my impression that the Kossar flaw has to do with a more mechanized production than previouly, most especially with their balling machine, a job that was done by hand under old owner...I am not sure whether they altered the flour or the dough to suit the mixer...they do bake them lighter for a younger audience