• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

How's it going with the book?

Fat Guy

Hi Mimi. Welcome to this eGullet Q&A. I think it's going to be a great one.

I really enjoyed reading Eating My Words and was wondering what kinds of reactions you've been getting to the book. Any controversies, hate mail, or stalkers? Any reviews you thought were wrong-headed or vindictive? Anything you'd like to tell us about the book that hasn't been said before? Tell all!

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

Hi Steve and thanks for inviting me aboard and for the generous words on my book. So far all reviews I have seen except one have been reassuringly complimentary..one exception came from Patricia Ullman in San Francisco Examiner who objected to my negativism. Some think negative reviews should not be printed but I feel differently, especially for restaurants that are new, highly publicized, golden-oldies or any much in the public view.

Negative reviews lend credibility to the positive ones.

So far, no threats or lawsuits but it may be a bit early. I have many reviews coming up and many appearances and signings around the country.

There's much I would like to add to the book - like maybe a whole other book - but much of that has to do with non-food experiences I had in places I traveled to long ago..1960 in Bali, Moscow, Phnom Penh, Calcutta, Cairo, etc. Sort of Between Meals, but we know that title has been famously taken.

Hi Steve and thanks for inviting me aboard and for the generous words on my book. So far all reviews I have seen except one have been reassuringly complimentary..one exception came from Patricia Ullman in San Francisco Examiner who objected to my negativism.

Was this actually Patricia Unterman?

"food critic for three decades, writing for the San Francisco Chronicle and the San Francisco Examiner. She is also the chef/owner of the Hayes Street Grill. Her work appears in national food magazines, such as Gourmet and Food & Wine, and she publishes her own newsletter Unterman on Food six times a year."

Looking forward to reading your new book!

Edited by ludja (log)

"Under the dusty almond trees, ... stalls were set up which sold banana liquor, rolls, blood puddings, chopped fried meat, meat pies, sausage, yucca breads, crullers, buns, corn breads, puff pastes, longanizas, tripes, coconut nougats, rum toddies, along with all sorts of trifles, gewgaws, trinkets, and knickknacks, and cockfights and lottery tickets."

-- Gabriel Garcia Marquez, 1962 "Big Mama's Funeral"

Welcome to the boards. I've always enjoyed your way with words over the years.

This post about ownership brings up a question. I remember hearing from an insider, that you were a limited partner in Vienna 79,way back in it's New York Times four star glory days. Was there any truth to his stiory?.

Actually, I've always thought that you could very easily make the Trillin conversion...I think a travel/food book would be a wonderful project...and, as a side note,I spent years at the River Cafe, as a server, trying to identify you ..every woman of a certain age was suspect, for a while....talk about old time Brooklyn... Forgione, Palmer, Burke...River Cafe circa 1979-89,that was old time Brooklyn!