• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

marinade brush for fish

MITllama

I like to brush a marinade onto fish, such as soy sauce and honey, but afterwards the brush bristles get gummed up and stick to each other so that I have to separate them one by one. Soaking in soapy solution does not help. Does anyone know a better (less time intensive) way to wash a brush after it is used on meat or fish?

Well, the way I wash my marinade brush is to wet it, drop a bit of dishwashing detergent on it, then rub it in between my fingers. The detergent gets distributed through the bristles easily and then I just rinse it.

Buy a silicone brush! They rinse clean in a jiffy.

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

I use the same method as Hest88 just mentioned. I usually rinse it in running hot hot tap water first to get most of the gunk out (especially fatty things, which I often use brushes for). Then work in the dishwashing soap. Rinse well.

I buy cheap cheap brushes and consider them semi-disposable. I just can't be bothered maintaining them well, but it is worthwhile to clean them until they get too distressed. Then I relegate them to grill duty or chuck them.

I use the method we learned in art class for cleaning our brushes:

Squeeze soap into the palm of your hand, then swirl the brush around in a circular motion. Rinse under hot water (but not too hot or the glue that holds the bristles in may loosen and the bristles will fall out). Repeat as necessary.

But I like Malawry's "semi-disposable" method best of all.

I use the method we learned in art class for cleaning our brushes:

Squeeze soap into the palm of your hand, then swirl the brush around in a circular motion. Rinse under hot water (but not too hot or the glue that holds the bristles in may loosen and the bristles will fall out). Repeat as necessary.

But I like Malawry's "semi-disposable" method best of all.

:laugh::laugh::laugh: At my school we used a bar of Ivory soap (white) and kept rubbing the brush on it til it showed no more color. One of my instructors would throw a fit if he saw cruded up bristles. Beyond that, there were no rules.

But in the kitchen, I keep a supply of cheap brushes on hand.

"Half of cooking is thinking about cooking." ---Michael Roberts