• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Great Eats in Philly

KatieLoeb

Today's Philadelphia Inquirer Travel section had a great article about where to take visitors to eat. It mentions a lot of the favorites you often hear us singing the praises of and lets everyone in on the secret we've known for some time. Philly is a world class food town.

Check it out:

Visit Will Leave a Good Taste

They forgot to mention that this week is Restaurant Week and about 80 restaurants are doing $30 prix fixe meals until next Saturday. :cool:

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

That is a great list. I was lucky to have a personal culinary guide when I was looking for a place to live in Philly. Guy drove me up here and brought me by a lot of those places and we ate at quite a few too. Didn't help me find a house but I sure ate well. Had John's for lunch today even.

Don't try to go to Chinatown on Monday.

Did anyone read LaBan's Wife's piece today on where to bring kids to eat. Pretty funny stuff. Throwing rice around and all, and my buddy is visiting with his daughter tomorrow, so timely for me. Don't think we'll be bringing her to Pod though, even if the young LaBan's go for it.

They eat, they drink, and in communion sweet

Quaff immortality and joy.

--John Milton

Don't you work at one of the placed mentioned, Katie?

I thought you toiled at Striped Bass...

Fress:

Striped Bass was sold in December 2003. I did work there, but under the "old regime". New owner is Stephen Starr, who owns just about every other restaurant in Philly. The "new regime" hired back a lot of the service staff but had no interest in any management level folk or anyone that might have their own opinion. :rolleyes: Several of my former co-workers have already left, dissatisfied with the corporate mentality of the new ownership. Others have stayed because at those prices, they're making great coin. I've been several times for drinks and the new decor is a bit stark and menu is different than it used to be. Some folks are loving it, other old regular customers that I still see here at Rouge beg to differ.

Katie M. Loeb

Cheers!

Fress:

Striped Bass was sold in December 2003.  I did work there, but under the "old regime".  New owner is Stephen Starr, who owns just about every other restaurant in Philly.  The "new regime" hired back a lot of the service staff but had no interest in any management level folk or anyone that might have their own opinion.  :rolleyes:  Several of my former co-workers have already left, dissatisfied with the corporate mentality of the new ownership.  Others have stayed because at those prices, they're making great coin.  I've been several times for drinks and the new decor is a bit stark and menu is different than it used to be.  Some folks are loving it, other old regular customers that I still see here at Rouge beg to differ.

Was it from a post from you, or was it somewhere else, that I read about staff at Rouge donning "Free Neil" T-shirts?

And when are you actually working at Rouge? (You may reply via PM if you prefer.)

Sandy Smith, Exile on Oxford Circle, Philadelphia

"95% of success in life is showing up." --Woody Allen

My foodblogs: 1 | 2 | 3

Was it from a post from you, or was it somewhere else, that I read about staff at Rouge donning "Free Neil" T-shirts?

And when are you actually working at Rouge?  (You may reply via PM if you prefer.)

I'll help with this one.

It was from an article, I think in the Inquirer, but I suppose it may have been a Daily News/PhilaWeekly/City Paper mention. I read it too.

She is normally at Rouge during normal business hours. Oftentimes, she may be there during the random evening or weekend hour.

Herb aka "herbacidal"

Tom is not my friend.

And when are you actually working at Rouge?  (You may reply via PM if you prefer.)

Sandy:

You saw that HERE, in Michael Klein's column this past Thursday. I've been keeping a low profile in terms of commenting on the present situation with Mr. Stein, both because I don't think it's appropriate for me to say anything and also because none of that stuff happened on my watch! :wink:

I'm usually here from about 9-6:30 or so Monday-Friday, occasionally later, and weekends only if absolutely necessary.

I have to remember to put Herb, my Social Secretary, on the payroll. :laugh:

Katie M. Loeb

Cheers!