• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Galapagos Coffe

BobL

I haven't tried it yet. It's from the Bourbon variety of plant and is said to have larger than average beans. The Sweet Maria's home roaster discussion list had a few dialogs about it. The verdict is that it's a decent but not exceptional coffee in the style of Central American coffees - somewhat acidic with bright flavor notes. The Galapagos don't have any really mountainous regions and there are distinct limitations to the quality arabica can yield at lower altitudes. It sounds to be one of the better low grown coffees.

Interesting background on the coffee here

Galapagos Coffee

I picked up a half lb roasted from a friend and brewed in a chemex. It was a very unique tasting brew. We really enjoyed the flavor. (I'm not very good at describing the flavors so I won't try.) The beans were HUGE. The largest I've ever seen.

I enjoyed it so much that I found a place and ordered 5 lbs. of greens. The beans wern't so big and though I've roasted to the same color, I haven't been able to get the same flavor.

At least I've got 4 more lbs to try.