• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Eating at the bar in Manhattan?

CSASphinx

Here is some information from earlier this summer that I asked for regarding bar dining.

Moderator's Note: The two topics have been merged in this thread.

I was alone and ended up at Babbo on a Sunday night where I stuffed myself on beef cheek ravioli and fennel-dusted sweetbreads. I waited for maybe 20 minutes for my spot at the bar, but was seated next to another solo diner and we shared bites and talked. It was great fun.

Edited by Pan (log)

"Democracy is that system of government under which the people…pick out a Coolidge to be head of the State. It is as if a hungry man, set before a banquet prepared by master cooks and covering a table an acre in area, should turn his back upon the feast and stay his stomach by catching and eating flies." H. L. Mencken

My favorite use to be OLA. The smoked marlin salad was terrific, there were lots of little plates which were really different from each other. Unfortunately, it has the dreaded "closed for renovation" sign outside. Does anyone know the status of this place?

I believe we had a recent thread about dining solo in NY, which included several suggestions on places that serve good food at the bar. I can't find it, but maybe one of our trusty moderators can locate it.

Had tapas at the bar in Bolo on Sat night. I like the "highchair" type tray that they pot on the bar to make things a bit more comfortable.

If you don't eat your meat, you can't have any pudding. How could you have any pudding if you don't eat your meat!??

• 2 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

This is terrific! Thank you. Anything to add to this list, or any corrections to make since the last post was almost a year ago? The NY restaurant scene changes so quickly... *sigh* I LOVE THIS CITY.