• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Hurricane Drinks

Susan in FL

"Trying to Reason with Hurricane Season" (not possible), I started a topic called Hurricane Food during the one before this. This time we're being less creative with food and more adventurous with drink, so I'll start this topic. Do you have any memorable drink recipes or any interesting drinking memories from hurricanes or snow storms, or other weather events that kept you inside the house for way too long periods of time?

It's seemingly miraculous that we have power right now, but we do and so we decided to make a cold drink with some of our leftover coffee. Rum seemed fitting under these circumstances and so I did a little online searching, taking advantage of the wonderful convenience of electricity, and found this:

Black Maria ...definitely should be called a Jeanne-Something today

4 ounces chilled coffee

2 ounces coffee liqueur

2 ounces rum

2 teaspoons powdered sugar

Fill a shaker half full with ice cubes. Pour all ingredients into shaker and shake well. Fill a Brandy Snifter almost full of ice cubes, and strain drink into Snifter.

Mmmm good.

Life is short; eat the cheese course first.

A few of years back, during a snow blizzard and in the middle of a relived Twin Peaks video marathon "fest" I tapped into a old gag gift/souvenier bottle of Everclear from one of our barbacks that attended a wedding in Chicago. ((n fact I remember receiving that little bottle when I first moved into my house so it sat on my liquor shelf for quite some time!)

My neighbors (fellow bartenders) were over, pajama clad and wrapped up with blankets surrounded with bowls of popcorn, assorted chips and some cold pizza boxes in front of the tv.

The winds were howling, the snow was falling, most businesses were closed.

The only "mixer" in the house was a large bottle of Very Fine fruit juice.

It seemed like a fun idea.

I opted to make it a tall drink to temper that powerful bite. One sip, not too bad. But then my face went numb, rather quickly.

Never again.

Hang in there Susan. Good thoughts go out to you and every poor soul enduring these awful hurricanes.

Whoa! Good story... Sounds like it didn't feel so good, though. I hadn't heard of Everclear, so I searched and learned that it's a grain alcohol, and also perhaps a rock band or something pertaining to music. Anyway, sounds like something I would stay for ever clear of. :biggrin:

I've got lots of good memories of snow days up north, with more warming drinks than we drink here of course. Those storms were certainly a lot prettier than this. But all of it is nothing that the sunshiney days on the beach in the upcoming two to three months won't cure.

Nothing out of the ordinary tonight with dinner... red wine. :smile:

Edited by Susan in FL (log)

I hope Jeanne didn't leave you in too bad of shape. It could have been worse. Hurricane parties can be great fun, as long as the house doesn't get blown away. Nothing like trying to get sober and do the right thing when the roof blows off and all of a sudden you're in 100 mph wind and rain in your living room.

In the islands we usually wait for the storm to pass, then pass a bottle of rum and give thanks that we survived and say a prayer, over another drink, for the less fortunate.

As for the drink, well, rum and whatever is left after the storm. Usually plenty of limes blown off the trees and plenty of rum.

In Grenada, during Ivan the prison blew down and all the prisoners escaped. They looted the usual places, then hit the brewery and the distillery. The next day the roads were blocked with debris, and there were more than a few hungover ex-prisoners. Police have come in from the French islands, Trinidad and St Lucia and claim to be getting the situation under control, after three weeks.

Drinking during the storm may sound like fun, but it's a lot more fun after the storm has passed.

Edward Hamilton

Ministry of Rum.com

The Complete Guide to Rum

When I dream up a better job, I'll take it.

Jeanne didn't leave our home in bad shape. Again there is a lot of devastation close to us, but we were lucky with #3. This morning when I walked the beach, the farther south I went, the more damage I saw. Some homes were destroyed. These hurricanes have eliminated any desire I used to have for a house on the beachside. I am very happy to have these five miles between me and the ocean.

I hear what you're saying about hurricane parties, etc. I certainly wouldn't drink more than the usual wine with dinner if we were going to get that kind of damage or were going to have to leave. I found it hard to believe that some people were actually going to bars with power outages to drink during these storms! During the first two it was dangerous to walk outside, let alone drive, even inland.

Wishing you clear sailing, as well... :smile: