• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Veal

Icicle

At the farmer's market yesterday, our local slaughterhouse/butcher was advertising veal for sale, half or whole, cut to your specifications. They raise their own animals, treat them kindly, and offer an organic alternative to the supermarket, so I want some!

If you were in my shoes, what cuts would you prefer? Any suggestions are most welcome!

veal is usually the bovine young not older than three months old. 'humane conditions' for raising veal means that they dont crate them in dark, sunless boxes.

there are four primary cuts of veal. these are leg, loin, rack and chuck. you can ask your butcher to make smaller cuts from these whole cuts. there are two halfs..the front and the back..the former aka foresaddle includes the breast, foreshank, rack and chuck. the tail end of the animal known as the hindsaddle includes the leg and loin.

here is a useful resource.

At the farmer's market yesterday, our local slaughterhouse/butcher was advertising veal for sale, half or whole, cut to your specifications.  They raise their own animals, treat them kindly, and offer an organic alternative to the supermarket, so I want some!   

If you were in my shoes, what cuts would you prefer?  Any suggestions are most welcome!

I know it's completely un-PC, but I love veal in every way, shape, and form. Veal chops make an excellent easy dinner. Shoulder roast can be used for a more elegant dinner. And then there's veal schnitzel, which is total comfort food. :wub:

Also, see if you can get your hands on the bones. They're great for stock.

"Some people see a sheet of seaweed and want to be wrapped in it. I want to see it around a piece of fish."-- William Grimes

"People are bastard-coated bastards, with bastard filling." - Dr. Cox on Scrubs

My own favorites are the rib chop (either broiled or grilled, or breaded and sauteed [Milanese]), and the breast, which I braise. And I make veal stock from bones, and from the breast, all the time.

However... if you have to buy the animal whole or half, I think the favorite cuts question might be irrelevant - I do believe you're going to get them all, even if you buy one lateral half of the animal, no? Anybody know what I'm trying to say?

Overheard at the Zabar’s prepared food counter in the 1970’s:

Woman (noticing a large bowl of cut fruit): “How much is the fruit salad?”

Counterman: “Three-ninety-eight a pound.”

Woman (incredulous, and loud): “THREE-NINETY EIGHT A POUND ????”

Counterman: “Who’s going to sit and cut fruit all day, lady… YOU?”

Newly updated: my online food photo extravaganza; cook-in/eat-out and photos from the 70's

Veal shanks are total comfort food.

I really enjoy veal chops grilled and in a restaurant

I appreciate a flattened veal chop, breaded and sauteed.

The cut I use the most is veal breast.

Slow cooked in the oven or crock pot, it is fall off the bone

tender. And I use this cut for veal stock as well.

• 11 months later...

I have resurrected this old thread to see if anyone can give me some suggestions or favorite recipes for veal chops. I just bought some beautiful ones at Wegman's but honestly have never cooked veal.

I have eaten it a couple (literally) of time at restaurants where they have been sered or pan roasted with a veal jus and mushrooms.

Would anyone care to share their favorite recipe with me? Merci Bien, Muchas Gracis and Thanks!

Paris is a mood...a longing you didn't know you had, until it was answered.

-An American in Paris

I don't know where to begin, I love veal chops so!

Did you buy the "rib" ones or the "t-bone" chops? I prefer the rib chops much.

There are lots of recipes that I can think of, but as great tomatoes are still in season, I'll give you the first one that comes into my mind. It's breaded veal chops topped with tomato and basil, although just plain breaded with a squeeze of lemon is great too.

If there's any membrane around the outside of the chops, cut through it so the chops don't curl up during cooking.

Beat an egg or two with a spoon of oil and let it rest. Prepare a dish of bread crumbs (ones you make yourself in a food processor from stale bread).

Season the chops with a little salt and pepper, dip them in the egg wash, drain them, and coat them with the bread crumbs. Put them on a rack (like a cake cooling rack or clean oven rack) and set them in a very cool air-conditioned room for a few hours for the breading to dry out and harden - this is important.

Heat some olive oil in a pan and add some butter when the oil is hot but not hot enough to scorch the butter. Add the chops gently when the butter foam subsides, and let them cook for a good few minutes until the breading on the bottom is golden brown. Turn and do the reverse side, and set them on a rack to rest for a minute or two.

You can of course just drizzle them with some good olive oil, lemon and salt and they'll be delicious. But if you have access to great tomatoes or heirlooms, cut them into chunks (well, you should actually do this an hour in advance), salt them very lightly, shred some fresh basil over them, and toss them with some good olive oil and let them sit for an hour. Then, spoon this mixture, oil and all, over the finished chops.

Hope you enjoy!

PS - If you know how to make the Italian dish "pepperonata" (red and yellow peppers simmered with onions and wine and oil), this is a spectacular accompaniment to this dish as well !!! The original The Romagnoli's Table has a great explanation (it's hardly a recipe) of how to make this.

Overheard at the Zabar’s prepared food counter in the 1970’s:

Woman (noticing a large bowl of cut fruit): “How much is the fruit salad?”

Counterman: “Three-ninety-eight a pound.”

Woman (incredulous, and loud): “THREE-NINETY EIGHT A POUND ????”

Counterman: “Who’s going to sit and cut fruit all day, lady… YOU?”

Newly updated: my online food photo extravaganza; cook-in/eat-out and photos from the 70's

I have resurrected this old thread to see if anyone can give me some suggestions or favorite recipes for veal chops. I just bought some beautiful ones at Wegman's but honestly have never cooked veal.

I have eaten it a couple (literally) of time at restaurants where they have been sered or pan roasted with a veal jus and mushrooms.

Would anyone care to share their favorite recipe with me? Merci Bien, Muchas Gracis and Thanks!

We season with salt and pepper and grill to our liking. Then, we top them with a simple thyme vinaigrette.

Delicious!

Danielle Altshuler Wiley

a.k.a. Foodmomiac