• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Hot Buttered Rum

Jim Cotter

The last time I had hot buttered rum was on the estate of a wealthy family who threw a party every year in January. They would collect all the Christmas trees from the neighborhood and create a massive nightime bonfire. There was a bagpipe band that circled the fire and the drink that was served was Hot Buttered Rum.

Anyone have any insight into what makes this drink? Spices? Which rum?

At the risk of talking about winter already, hot buttered rum can be made by pouring some hot water in a mug, so you don't burn your hands, add some dark rum. Put a small amount of butter on top and stir with a cinnamon stick.

The rum can be spiced rum, which can be made by adding cinnamon, nutmeg, etc. to a bottle and placing it on the mantle a month or so before the new year. By the time you're ready to burn the Christmas trees, you're rum will be ready.

Edward Hamilton

Ministry of Rum.com

The Complete Guide to Rum

When I dream up a better job, I'll take it.

Thanks for the response. I think your idea of making your own spiced rum specific to this drink is the way to go. It makes the preparation alot easier and yoiu can vary the cinammon /nutmeg to your tastes.

They banned the outdoor buning of Christmas trees enmasse now they meet there end in the business end of a woodchipper. Time to come up with a new idea to

drink hot buttered rum in the cold outdoors. :biggrin:

You might also try adding 1 or 2 lumps of sugar to the hot water then adding the rum and a pat of butter (unsalted, about 1/2 tbps). A little nutmeg can be nice too.

You can substitute cider for the water and add a half-teaspoon of mixed cinnamon and cloves, but that's getting away from the simplicity of the drink.

Something I've always wanted to try is putting everything in a mug and then dunking a red-hot poker into it until it steams; of course I wouldnt try this after round three.

Cider is the ingredient that really makes this drink come to life. As for dipping a red hot poker in my glass, it would evaporate the precious alcohol and would probably leave ash in the glass. Try heating a piece of iron and then putting it in water, there is usually some residual ash left behind.

Edward Hamilton

Ministry of Rum.com

The Complete Guide to Rum

When I dream up a better job, I'll take it.

• 10 years later...

So I mentioned Hot Buttered Rum over in the "Christmas Eve Menu" thread and it got me to wondering - what rum do y'all use for this?

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.