• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Keema Potentiality

scott123

My favorite restaurant had a beef keema dish (keema matar) on the buffet the other day.  Man was it good.

I am 99% percent certain it contained annatto.  Is annatto a common ingredient in keema?

Annatto is rare in Indian cooking. What made you think it contained annatto? Was the oil seperating from the dish and was it colored that bright yellow-red like you would see in island cooking containing annato? If so, it was probably a combination of turmeric and bright red mild Indian chili powder, deghi mirch. It gives the same effect.

Edward Hamann

Cooking Teacher

Indian Cooking

edhamann@hotmail.com

The keema was a very vivid, dark red brown (darker and browner than a brick) and the flavor was earthy. I just can't picture deghi mirch getting as dark as this, unless maybe they used an obscene amount of it. And it had little to no heat to it.

Artificial food coloring doesn't have the overwhelmingly earthy flavor this has.

maybe some mud as well?

i was referring to the color of the dish--my keema dishes also have an earthy taste--maybe they aren't using the amount of cream you normally find in indian restaurant meat dishes, thereby allowing a natural meat and vegetables flavor to emerge?