• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

New Old Rums!

JOHN REEKIE

New names on the market, -MONYMUSK 8yr. -PORT MORANT 10yr. & 18yr. -ROCKLEY STILL 13yr. -VERSAILLES 15yr.  All rums under the label "Classic Rums" by Bristol Spirits?.By the Names I would guess that there are three Jamaican rums,one Barbados rum and a french island rum.  Who are Bristol Spirits?  What is the story of their rums?  A new company from Bristol England, maybe part of Harveys Sherry, who have vast cellers in the docklands of Bristol and are utilising their great tradition of importing/ aging/ blending/ bottling/ distributing/ marketing. Could it be another British importing company that has had a long tradition of spirits,Liverpool or London. Are they Scotish aged rums like a "Cadenhead" or "Gordon & McPhail"?  Is it a company in the States, buying and marketing, aged rums directly from various Caribbean distillers.  Purchasing in the barrel or in the bottle.  I have not seen a bottle yet so have not read any lables, nor do I know who the agents are.  I do know they are available through www.internetwines.com .  Our Liquor Control Board of Ontario (L.C.B.O.) is not an open market so I doubt we will see any "Classic Rums" in Toronto.

Maybe, with luck I will find them at the Toronto "Cane & Cask" rum show in November.  

John Reekie

This is RUM SEARCHER, after my writing yesterday,I did some research and will answer some of my own questions.  I mentioned that I had not read any "CLASSIC RUM" lables,  which made me think of 'Petr's Pages. (www.rum.cz)  Here I found ten "CLASSIC RUM" lables,which on reading gave a lot of information.  Yes they come from United Kingdom,but from what city?. Yes they are distilled rums from various Caribbean islands and countries. There is one Guyana+Guadeloupe blend, one Trinadadian rum, one Bajan rum, two Jamacian rums, & four from Demerara in Guyana rums. Eight of these rums claim to be from single stills, (three of them are distilleries that Cadenheads in Scotland use)  Most are 46%abv, aged 10-23yrs, all in 70.cl bottles.

I would like E.H. to comment on the claim that these come from individual stills or estates, is this true.   The lables  also claim that - " Selected and bottled from the wood by Bristol Spirits Ltd"- Well the first part is true of any rum that I know! But it does not say where it is aged, one persumes in place of origin. If it was transported in wood or stainless steel, I persume in large stainless steel shipping tanker containers. If further aging or finishing or marrage blending took place in wood before bottling, I do not know. Or were they aged/blended/etc/and bottled in there place of origin.

I still have not learned if Bristol Spirits come from Bristol, E.H. any clue on this or who is importing/distributing in the States. Anybody who has the Peters Pages CD of rum lables might be able to read the fine print and history of the rums and to see where Bristol Spirits Ltd are located.

JOHN REEKIE

• 4 years later...
This is RUM SEARCHER, after my writing yesterday,I did some research and will answer some of my own questions.  I mentioned that I had not read any "CLASSIC RUM" lables,  which made me think of 'Petr's Pages. (www.rum.cz)  Here I found ten "CLASSIC RUM" lables,which on reading gave a lot of information.  Yes they come from United Kingdom,but from what city?. Yes they are distilled rums from various Caribbean islands and countries. There is one Guyana+Guadeloupe blend, one Trinadadian rum, one Bajan rum, two Jamacian rums, & four from Demerara in Guyana rums. Eight of these rums claim to be from single stills, (three of them are distilleries that Cadenheads in Scotland use)  Most are 46%abv, aged 10-23yrs, all in 70.cl bottles.

I would like E.H. to comment on the claim that these come from individual stills or estates, is this true.   The lables  also claim that - " Selected and bottled from the wood by Bristol Spirits Ltd"- Well the first part is true of any rum that I know! But it does not say where it is aged, one persumes in place of origin. If it was transported in wood or stainless steel, I persume in large stainless steel shipping tanker containers. If further aging or finishing or marrage blending took place in wood before bottling, I do not know. Or were they aged/blended/etc/and bottled in there place of origin.

I still have not learned if Bristol Spirits come from Bristol, E.H. any clue on this or who is importing/distributing in the States. Anybody who has the Peters Pages CD of rum lables might be able to read the fine print and history of the rums and to see where Bristol Spirits Ltd are located.<p>JOHN REEKIE

Hi John,

Where is the E.H. you refer to?

Jim McLay

There is a lot of information about Bristol Spirits on my website rumpages.com

Go to "library", click the B and you will see Bristol spirits appear on the right. Click it and read it.

They are Independent Bottlers and they have some very nice rums available. Recently I tasted their Jamaica 1974, OOOOOOOOH!

The more information, the better.

Rene van Hoven

www.Rumpages.com

• 1 month later...
There is a lot of information about Bristol Spirits on my website www.rumpages.com

Go to "library", click the B and you will see Bristol spirits appear on the right. Click it and read it.

They are Independent Bottlers and they have some very nice rums available. Recently I tasted their Jamaica 1974, OOOOOOOOH!

• 2 weeks later...