• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Zubrovka/Zubrofka HELP!

RobInAustin

Hi,

I love real zubrovka vodka, not the synthetic stuff on the shelf, but a real infusion. About six years ago, a dear friend, a 92 year old Russian princess (the real thing) gave me a packet of dried zubrovka grass stems to infuse vodka. I became hooked. Sadly, she passed away before I could ask her WHERE she got the zubrovka from. I've been searching desperately for it ever since.

Does anyone have a source??

Let me know,

Thanks and cheers,

Rob

"When I lived in Paris, and champagne was relatively cheap, I always enjoyed a half-bottle in the middle of the morning and another half-bottle at six or so in the evening. It did me a tremendous amount of good." - Gerald Hamilton.

Poland?

In 1978 the US Bureau of Tobacco, Alcohol and Firearms banned zubrowka because the bison grass contains coumarin, an anticoagulant.

There is artificially flavoured (which you noted) and I understand the Polish have developed a new process to make zubrowka with the bison grass, coumarin free. (doubt that version is available in the States however)

From what I understand the grass itself is not banned, just sale of vodka made with it. Im looking for the grass itself, dried, to make my own infusion.

Poland?

In 1978 the US Bureau of Tobacco, Alcohol and Firearms banned zubrowka because the bison grass contains coumarin, an anticoagulant.

There is artificially flavoured (which you noted) and I understand the Polish have developed a new process to make zubrowka with the bison grass, coumarin free.  (doubt that version is available in the States however)

"When I lived in Paris, and champagne was relatively cheap, I always enjoyed a half-bottle in the middle of the morning and another half-bottle at six or so in the evening. It did me a tremendous amount of good." - Gerald Hamilton.

• 2 weeks later...

for whatever reason, it is still legal to sell Zubrowka--with the grass--in Quebec. i know because i discovered an amazing drink through a bartender friend.

let's call it an "ochatini". :smile:

it's 1.5 ounces Zubrowka and 3-4 ounces strong, chilled good green tea. the combination of the two grassy, strawlike tastes is enchanting.

try some! :wub:

for availability of Zubrowka in Quebec, check societe des alcools du quebec...

"The cure for anything is salt water: sweat, tears, or the ocean."

--Isak Dinesen