• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

WTN: 1999 Silverado Cabernet Sauvignon

Jean Brislance

1999 Silverado Cabernet Sauvignon Napa Valley - Opened with some braised short ribs. Dark reddish-purple color. Nose shows lots of sweet black fruit and berry, cedar, and vanilla. Flavors similar to the nose with plenty of black fruit, blackberry liqueur, coffee, vanilla, and oak. Quite smooth in texture. The tannins are relatively fine, and the finish is long and flavorful. This is drinking very well at the moment, and I can‘t imagine this being a long-term ager or anything. There really isn‘t anything terribly distinctive about this wine (which would be the criticism of it), but it tasted good, and it was something I was in the mood for last night. Nice to sip another glass on a crisp evening with some college football on TV.

All the best,

Jean

Silverado's cabs used to be so tannic as to be nearly undrinkable. Even some of their 10-15 year old vintages were still quite chewy when sampled. However, all that changed in the late 1990's when a new winemaker came aboard. I tried their '97 and '99 last year, and was blown away, comparitively speaking. I felt the '99 to be superior to the '97, and purchased quite a few bottles...alas, there is no more to be had at the winery, so I assume one must get lucky and happen upon it.

"A census taker once tried to test me. I ate his liver with some fava beans and a nice chianti."

- Dr. Hannibal Lecter