• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Pick a red and a white to be stranded with

Gifted Gourmet

It is the fall of 2004 and you are stranded on the proverbial desert island .. (why doesn't anyone ever say, "just make a choice of your favorite ____"? :rolleyes:)

It is always that same damned island ... anyway, what would you hope for in your top red wine choice? and in your top white wine choice?

Of course, I am assuming that you have no sommelier present on this island ... or it wouldn't be deserted .... :laugh:

Melissa Goodman aka "Gifted Gourmet"

Let's see, we're on an island, so most likely fish is on the menu...

...screw the guidelines...

Red: Penfolds Grange, 1981.

If that's not available; Lafite Rothschild, 1983.

White: DeLille Cellars Chaleur Estate white, 1995.

If that's not available; Chateau d'Yquem, 1959.

Drink!

I refuse to spend my life worrying about what I eat. There is no pleasure worth forgoing just for an extra three years in the geriatric ward. --John Mortimera

Do I get proper cellar storage conditions, or is the island hot, so I have to worry bout heat damage?

:raz:

cheers,

Rob

"When I lived in Paris, and champagne was relatively cheap, I always enjoyed a half-bottle in the middle of the morning and another half-bottle at six or so in the evening. It did me a tremendous amount of good." - Gerald Hamilton.

Do I get proper cellar storage conditions, or is the island hot, so I have to worry bout heat damage?

:raz:

cheers,

Rob

Let's assume, for the sake of argument here, that the island is replete with wine coolers and wine racks, corkscrews, you know, the basic amenities of any desert island .. it is simply that your sommelier was lost in the accident at sea and that you and the wine have survived ... :hmmm:

Now, can you still make out the labels to tell us of your choices of a red and a white?? Thanks ... and don't talk to the volleyball for assistance, Mr. Castaway .... :wink:

There's only so much wine you can drag from the boat to the island, so you might as well make the most of it and bring the Turley Petite Syrah - you'll spend much less time sober that way. It's interesting to see everone picking dessert wines for their white. I think I'd rather go with a Thanisch or Prum Riesling for all the fish I'll be catching while stumbling around the island drunk with a home-made spear...

I would assume if I was really stranded a large part of my day would be spent attending to more basic needs like rounding up food, making coconut shell bras and grass skirts for the women stranded with me. While weaving myself a Speedo from kelp, I would probably enjoy something like Marques di Gresy Moscato.

Later in the eveneing with a meal of breadfruit and raw fish I would probably enjoy something like Campaccio from Terrabianca. My geuss is I would probably be depressed in this situation, so something positive and uplifting would be better then a wine I would need to think about.

David Cooper

"I'm no friggin genius". Rob Dibble

http://www.starlinebyirion.com/

making coconut shell bras and grass skirts for the women stranded with me. While weaving myself a Speedo from kelp, I would probably enjoy something like Marques di Gresy Moscato.

My geuss is I would probably be depressed in this situation, so something positive and uplifting would be better then a wine I would need to think about.

coconut shell bras and kelp Speedos?? :shock: The desert island is beginning to look a little like Club Med ... :laugh: just fret about the wine, take a Prozac, cheer up, and enjoy the silence with your wine ... Coop, think Survivor without the webcams and the audience ... a few sand crabs (avec buerre blanc) ...

Red: 1990 Paul Jaboulet-Aine Hermitage La Chapelle

White: 1989 Domaine de la Romanee-Conti Montrachet

"If the divine creator has taken pains to give us delicious and exquisite things to eat, the least we can do is prepare them well and serve them with ceremony."

~ Fernand Point