• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Carman And Son in Paris Nov. 8th-11th

mantee

We are leaving Nov.7th after work, will be there Mon., Tues., and Wed. nights. Mon. is Jaret's birthday. He demands great food, but I don't want to keep him in a place over 2 hours. We are going to be doing nightclubs, shopping, and ... I have pretty extensive info., but always looking for more. He'll be 27.

Carman

Carman's Country Kitchen

11th and Wharton

Philadelphia, PA

We are leaving Nov.7th after work, will be there Mon., Tues., and Wed. nights. Mon. is Jaret's birthday. He demands great food, but I don't want to keep him in a place over 2 hours.

I feel cheated if I don't keep my table for more than two hours. It's too short for a great meal, but with that in mind, you might consider l'Atelier de Joël Robuchon. Much has already been said here and the threads in which it's been said have links to other reviews. I was quite prepared to be turned off by the counter seating and relatively high prices and lack of trappings normally associated with this level of food, but I was thrilled by the tasting menu and the small portions and counter aspect actually worked to focus on the food rather than the ambience. Great food it was and in no more than 2 hours.

Robert Buxbaum

WorldTable

Recent WorldTable posts include: comments about reporting on Michelin stars in The NY Times, the NJ proposal to ban foie gras, Michael Ruhlman's comments in blogs about the NJ proposal and Bill Buford's New Yorker article on the Food Network.

My mailbox is full. You may contact me via worldtable.com.

I think La Famille in the 18th would be a good choice for one of your nights. It's been given excellent reviews by all of the French press (even made it into Gourmet) and the atmosphere is very hip and young. I think they even have a DJ.

I found this about them on epicurious.com

http://www.epicurious.com/restaurants/erg/paris/favorites

La Famille

41 rue des Trois Frères

75018 Paris

01 42 52 11 12

Edited by Felice (log)

www.parisnotebook.wordpress.com

I think La Famille in the 18th would be a good choice for one of your nights.  It's been given excellent reviews by all of the French press (even made it into Gourmet) and the atmosphere is very hip and young. I think they even have a DJ.

I found this about them on epicurious.com

http://www.epicurious.com/restaurants/erg/paris/favorites

La Famille

41 rue des Trois Frères

75018 Paris

01 42 52 11 12

Thanks, that was a great link, hope you can join us on of those nights.

Carman

Carman's Country Kitchen

11th and Wharton

Philadelphia, PA

Bux, I don't know how old you are, but a young man in Paris only spends over two hours on something that he can dental floss about the next day. Your recomendation is on my list, thanks.

Carman

Carman's Country Kitchen

11th and Wharton

Philadelphia, PA

Thanks, that was a great link, hope you can join us on of those nights.

Yes, I'd love to. :biggrin:

Something that I didn't mention on the boards is that I'm originally from Philadelphia and spent most of my Sunday mornings at Carmen's Country Kitchen, which has the BEST breakfast in Philly. Carmen's is definitely one thing I miss about home. And without egullet I would never have known she was in Paris.

I think La Famille in the 18th would be a good choice for one of your nights.

Felice, I must respectfully disagree after three meals at La Famille. The first the week after it opened was terrific for myself alone and I was offered many things to try; the second time I took a friend from Geneva and we both thought the food a bit precious but OK; but the third time with best friend from downstairs and spouses (thus 4 dishes per course) showed they pushed the envelope too much. Maybe you've had better experience than I; certainly Zurban continues to like and list it but it's off my list (too many other new ones).

John Talbott

blog John Talbott's Paris

Actually I haven't been yet, and was just going by what I've read. I've wanted to try it since it's opened and haven't for one reason or another. It's always been booked the few times that I've tried to reserve. I just thought it sounds like a good place for a 27 year old, because the atmosphere is young and branché.

You might try Caius ( 6 rue d'armaillé 17° 0142271920) .

Opened since december it gets very good press.

I ate there once after several friends told me to and I had a more than very good meal, in about 2 hours.

It's classic recipes but with a very interesting modern touch (quite amazing boletus carpaccio / charolais beef cooked in a wok the morrocan way)

short but great wines list.

Let Eat Be

Food, Wine & other Delights

One more point about Robuchon, which in spite of being counter dining, is not inexpensive-people might debate the advantage of sitting at one part of the counter over another for the view of the open kitchen, but there are three or four stools I would not accept. They're against the side wall and your back is the entire restaurant. This is tolerable for the time it would take to eat a slice of mediocre pizza, but not here. When I say not inexpensive, the tasting menu of maybe ten small plates is close to $125 and individual small plates run from $9 to over $30 a piece.

Robert Buxbaum

WorldTable

Recent WorldTable posts include: comments about reporting on Michelin stars in The NY Times, the NJ proposal to ban foie gras, Michael Ruhlman's comments in blogs about the NJ proposal and Bill Buford's New Yorker article on the Food Network.

My mailbox is full. You may contact me via worldtable.com.

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you, please keep thinking. Jaret loves great food, nothing is too complex. We aren't concern about the cost. When I dine in Paris that is my night, I walk about afterwards and feel like I'm in love. This is Jaret's first time, he has heard so much about French cooking, service, and style. The difference is afterwards we are going to clubs, I can't be mellow.

Carman

Carman's Country Kitchen

11th and Wharton

Philadelphia, PA

You might try Caius ( 6 rue d'armaillé 17°  0142271920) .

Opened since december it gets very good press.

I ate there once after several friends told me to and I had a more than very good meal, in about 2 hours.

It's classic recipes but with a very interesting modern touch (quite amazing boletus carpaccio / charolais beef cooked in a wok the morrocan way)

short but great wines list.

Beware; the sign outside lists all sorts of great dishes, almost none of them served the day you want to eat. A big deception (in the US sense). We were told "oh that's what we can and might serve."

John Talbott

blog John Talbott's Paris

If he likes good food, I would go to the same good bistros recommended all over here. Order 3 courses and if you aren't out in exactly 2 hours, he's not going to care. The clubs aren't going to get going until way after you are finished anyway.