• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dining in Las Vegas: Part 1

Thanks David.

Do you think there is a difference in the tasting menu at $185 v $250?  Is the number of courses the same, or are there cutbacks in the size of portions or types of luxury ingredients?   Also, did you happen to catch the price of the ala carte menu at Alex?

Looking over the current tasting menu it doesn't appear that there is any difference in what used to run $250 and now runs $185. There are still plenty of luxe ingredients like foie gras, caviar and prime-grade beef. The portions were never large at Alex. They couldn't really save much in terms of cost if they cut out things like an Amuse or Petit Fours, so I really think it's just a symptom of lowering prices and cutting back on hours to reduce some costs.

There doesn't appear to be any cutbacks on the large ala carte menu either. They are currently offering 8 appetizers, 8 entrees and 5 desserts. There are plenty of high-quality ingredients on the ala carte menu-foie gras, sweetbreads, langoustines, john dory, veal loin and kurobata pork among them.

The cost of the ala carte menu didn't seem to be much lower than what I remember from last year. Appetizers run $15 and up, entrees begin at about $40 and desserts $15 on average.

This is the current tasting menu at Alex:

Kaimin Kanpachi Sashimi

Yuzu-Lemon Panna Cotta, Golden Osetra Caviar, Compressed Pear, Jalapeno and Manni Extra Virgin Olive Oil

Rice Crusted Sea Scallop

Parsnip Veloute, Roasted Chicken Jus, Quince, Golden Raisins and Puffed Rice

Seared Hudson Valley Foie Gras

Pickled Turnips, Maui Onion Compote, Salad of Steamed and Confit Matsutake Mushrooms

Crispy Rouget de Roche

Eggplant Puree, Orange-Burgundy Sauce, Roasted Bell Pepper Marinade, Coriander and Piment d'espelette

Japanese Wagyu Beef Loin

Parmesan Bone Marrow Custard, Black Mission Figs, Arugula and Red Wine Syrup

Coconut Tapioca

with Passion Fruit Glaze and Tropical Fruits

Warm Apple Saute

with Maple-Black Walnut Cake and Sour Cream Parfait

you know, I said ala carte, but I think I meant the pre fixe menu. Wasn't that the way it was? a pre fixe plus a tasting (this was before the Taste of Wynn 'value' menu)

Jeff Meeker, aka "jsmeeker"

you know, I said ala carte, but I think I meant the pre fixe menu. Wasn't that the way it was?  a pre fixe plus a tasting (this was before the Taste of Wynn 'value' menu)

Yes, you're right. Thanks for clarifying.

• 1 month later...

Alright, this thread hasn't moved in a couple of months. I'm giving it a bump since it looks likely that I'll be headed out there soon. Three, possibly four, nights. Where should I spend them?

I'm thinking Alex and The Mansion are at the top of my list.

“Watermelon - it’s a good fruit. You eat, you drink, you wash your face.”

Italian tenor Enrico Caruso (1873-1921)

ulteriorepicure.com

My flickr account

ulteriorepicure@gmail.com

Alright, this thread hasn't moved in a couple of months.  I'm giving it a bump since it looks likely that I'll be headed out there soon.  Three, possibly four, nights.  Where should I spend them?

Call Wynn and make sure Alex is open. When I called them to book a reservation for a dinner un July, I was told it was going to be closed for summer vacation. a Few weeks worth.

Alright, this thread hasn't moved in a couple of months.  I'm giving it a bump since it looks likely that I'll be headed out there soon.  Three, possibly four, nights.  Where should I spend them?

Call Wynn and make sure Alex is open. When I called them to book a reservation for a dinner un July, I was told it was going to be closed for summer vacation. a Few weeks worth.

Thanks for that tip.

ulteriorepicure.com

My flickr account

Yeah, Alex closes on July 5 and re opens July 22. They close twice a year for kitchen maintenance, updating the dining room, and menu development in July and December every year.

"cuisine is the greatest form of art to touch a human's instinct" - chairman kaga

I can give a quick, short list:

Alex and Robuchon (the Mansion): keep them on the list. It's been a while since I've eaten at the Mansion. I usually go to L'Atelier, Robuchon's "casual" restaurant. If you haven't tried Alex and it's open when you're there, definitely go.

Restaurant Charlie: I ate there about a month ago. Very good. I had the 14-course tasting menu, which included courses from both Restaurant Charlie & Bar Charlie (more kaiseki). I was impressed. Rumors keep surfacing that it might close. My feeling is that Restaurant Charlie is THE restaurant for the Palazzo's big-time gamblers, so it won't closed. But just in case, go there.

Guy Savoy: If you're into comparing his two places (Paris, Las Vegas), give it a try. In terms of food, I have to give the nod to Robuchon. Savoy provides a more overall dining experience.

Raku: I want to go there so bad. About everyone I know has been there, except me! Raku is off the Strip on Spring Mountain Road. This is the place where the chefs go after service (Rick Moonen, Paul Bartolotta, etc.). Raku opens at 6 p.m. until late, like 2-3 a.m. More izakaya-style cooking.

rm: Speaking of Rick Moonen, rm is another place I haven't been to yet. Currently, he and Adam Sobel are teaming up, re-doing the menu and will re-open their fine-dining seafood restaurant later. Rick is committed to sustainability. Check out the webpage over at Mandalay Bay.

I hope this help. Enjoy Las Vegas!

Russell J. Wong aka "rjwong"

Food and I, we go way back ...

I can give a quick, short list:

Alex and Robuchon (the Mansion): keep them on the list. It's been a while since I've eaten at the Mansion. I usually go to L'Atelier, Robuchon's "casual" restaurant. If you haven't tried Alex and it's open when you're there, definitely go.

Restaurant Charlie: I ate there about a month ago. Very good. I had the 14-course tasting menu, which included courses from both Restaurant Charlie & Bar Charlie (more kaiseki). I was impressed. Rumors keep surfacing that it might close. My feeling is that Restaurant Charlie is THE restaurant for the Palazzo's big-time gamblers, so it won't closed. But just in case, go there.

Guy Savoy: If you're into comparing his two places (Paris, Las Vegas), give it a try. In terms of food, I have to give the nod to Robuchon. Savoy provides a more overall dining experience.

Raku: I want to go there so bad. About everyone I know has been there, except me! Raku is off the Strip on Spring Mountain Road. This is the place where the chefs go after service (Rick Moonen, Paul Bartolotta, etc.). Raku opens at 6 p.m. until late, like 2-3 a.m. More izakaya-style cooking.

rm: Speaking of Rick Moonen, rm is another place I haven't been to yet. Currently, he and Adam Sobel are teaming up, re-doing the menu and will re-open their fine-dining seafood restaurant later. Rick is committed to sustainability. Check out the webpage over at Mandalay Bay.

I hope this help. Enjoy Las Vegas!

rjwong, thanks for joining this party (I was wondering when you'd show up).

A few notes:

1. Don't worry, The Mansion and Alex aren't going anywhere. I'm definitely going to these two.

2. re: Restaurant/Charlie: Well, now I'm torn. Whilst I am highly skeptical of "Westernized" kaiseki, eating at the bar is appealing to me. That said, in terms of food. the format of the 14-course in Restaurant Charlie seems like a perfect balance. Do we know who is manning either station? And then, part of me is skeptical in total because of a rather breathless meal at had at Charlie Trotter a few years ago (though the service was astoundingly well choreographed).

3. re: Guy Savoy. Have you been to Guy Savoy's home office? I was there in December of last year and had a rather faultless, if not unexciting meal. I see that the top tasting menu (the $290 menu, not the shocktacular $750 Krug menu) in Vegas (if the version online is current) seems unseasonably focused on the master's greatest hits: artichokes may be in season, but black truffles? Roasting chicken with black truffles makes me want a raging blizzard outside. Also, I've had about a third of the items on that menu; I would hope that his Las Vegas chefs couldn't prepare them any more competently that the chefs in his kitchen in Paris while Chef Savoy and I were both there.

4. re: Raku. And what does everybody who's been except you have to say about it? How much of a schlep is it out to Raku? Are we talking a nice, but manageable walk? Or are we talking $80 cab ride?

I'm also highly curious about:

DJT

Alize

Wing Lei (though I've heard it won't change my life)

And why does everyone keep recommending Mesa Grill? It's a little scary (no offense Bobby Flay).

As a side note, rjwong, have you been to l'Atelier de Joel Robuchon in New York? I wonder how you would compare it to the one in Las Vegas

Edited by ulterior epicure (log)

ulteriorepicure.com

My flickr account

I can chime in with a couple of answers/opinions:

2. re: Restaurant/Charlie: ...Do we know who is manning either station?
Chef Hiroo Nagahara is at the helm of Bar Charlie. I like him a lot. When things aren't too crazy, he'll take the time to describe things in detail, e.g., I once received a ten minute tutorial on Japanese knives, and the particular knives he uses.
4. re: Raku. And what does everybody who's been except you have to say about it? How much of a schlep is it out to Raku? Are we talking a nice, but manageable walk? Or are we talking $80 cab ride?
I've only been there once, but liked it quite a bit. It's a very small, simple place, but the food is both interesting and tasty. Its address is 5030 Spring Mountain Road. That's about two and a quarter miles from the nearest point on The Strip. I never thought about walking to it, but my very fuzzy memory suggests that Spring Mountain Road isn't exactly a pedestrian's paradise. You can probably use Google maps to take a peek at the route.

I can chime in with a couple of answers/opinions:
2. re: Restaurant/Charlie: ...Do we know who is manning either station?
Chef Hiroo Nagahara is at the helm of Bar Charlie. I like him a lot. When things aren't too crazy, he'll take the time to describe things in detail, e.g., I once received a ten minute tutorial on Japanese knives, and the particular knives he uses.
I've only been there once, but liked it quite a bit. It's a very small, simple place, but the food is both interesting and tasty. Its address is 5030 Spring Mountain Road. That's about two and a quarter miles from the nearest point on The Strip. I never thought about walking to it, but my very fuzzy memory suggests that Spring Mountain Road isn't exactly a pedestrian's paradise. You can probably use Google maps to take a peek at the route.

1. Fantastic. Thanks, lgott, for that helpful response.

2. Would it be repetitive to do Raku and Bar Charlie?

3. Meh. I don't know what cabs out there charge, but a 2 1/2 mile cab ride round trip won't bust my bank account, I wouldn't imagine.

ulteriorepicure.com

My flickr account

I never realized how wanted I am ... :smile:

2. re: Restaurant/Charlie: Well, now I'm torn.  Whilst I am highly skeptical of "Westernized" kaiseki, eating at the bar is appealing to me.  That said, in terms of food. the format of the 14-course in Restaurant Charlie seems like a perfect balance.  Do we know who is manning either station?  And then, part of me is skeptical in total because of a rather breathless meal at had at Charlie Trotter a few years ago (though the service was astoundingly well choreographed).

Perhaps things have changed in the last few years. It was my first dining experience with Charlie Trotter. I might have to defer to my fellow eGer, lgott, who has eaten at Bar Charlie three times (lgott, please respond).

3. re: Guy Savoy.  Have you been to Guy Savoy's home office?  I was there in December of last year and had a rather faultless, if not unexciting meal.  I see that the top tasting menu (the $290 menu, not the shocktacular $750 Krug menu) in Vegas (if the version online is current) seems unseasonably focused on the master's greatest hits: artichokes may be in season, but black truffles?  Roasting chicken with black truffles makes me want a raging blizzard outside.  Also, I've had about a third of the items on that menu; I would hope that his Las Vegas chefs couldn't prepare them any more competently that the chefs in his kitchen in Paris while Chef Savoy and I were both there.

No I haven't. I plan to be in Paris later in November (finally!). Krug? I thought Billecart-Salmon was the Savoy family favorite.

4. re: Raku.  And what does everybody who's been except you have to say about it?  How much of a schlep is it out to Raku?  Are we talking a nice, but manageable walk? Or are we talking $80 cab ride?

Here are a few comments about Raku from others. Raku is about a 3-mile schlep from the Wynn Resort. I don't about you, but I'm not going to walk there. I doubt it's going to be a $80 cab ride, unless you want me to give you a ride, I'll take the $80.

DJT

Alize

And why does everyone keep recommending Mesa Grill?  It's a little scary (no offense Bobby Flay).

DJT is no more. It only opened less than four months until August 2008, about two weeks before my Las Vegas visit. I was so bummed.

Alize is a French restaurant. I've never eaten there. If you want French, stick with Robuchon, Savoy (if you wish) or Daniel Boulud. You can also check Ducasse's restaurant Mix over at Mandalay Bay, on the 64th floor.

Wing Lei is a good Chinese restaurant. I ate there once. It won't change your life. Mind you, the Beijing duck is really good if you want that.

As a side note, rjwong, have you been to l'Atelier de Joel Robuchon in New York?  I wonder how you would compare it to the one in Las Vegas

No, I haven't done New York, New York (aka Manhattan).

Russell J. Wong aka "rjwong"

Food and I, we go way back ...

I never realized how wanted I am ... :smile:

Russell's Sally Field moment. :raz:

3. re: Guy Savoy.  Have you been to Guy Savoy's home office?  I was there in December of last year and had a rather faultless, if not unexciting meal.  I see that the top tasting menu (the $290 menu, not the shocktacular $750 Krug menu) in Vegas (if the version online is current) seems unseasonably focused on the master's greatest hits: artichokes may be in season, but black truffles?  Roasting chicken with black truffles makes me want a raging blizzard outside.  Also, I've had about a third of the items on that menu; I would hope that his Las Vegas chefs couldn't prepare them any more competently that the chefs in his kitchen in Paris while Chef Savoy and I were both there.

No I haven't. I plan to be in Paris later in November (finally!). Krug? I thought Billecart-Salmon was the Savoy family favorite.

Perhaps not in these united states?

4. re: Raku.  And what does everybody who's been except you have to say about it?  How much of a schlep is it out to Raku?  Are we talking a nice, but manageable walk? Or are we talking $80 cab ride?

Here are a few comments about Raku from others. Raku is about a 3-mile schlep from the Wynn Resort. I don't about you, but I'm not going to walk there. I doubt it's going to be a $80 cab ride, unless you want me to give you a ride, I'll take the $80.

Thanks for the link, I'm heading over there right now.

DJT

Alize

And why does everyone keep recommending Mesa Grill?  It's a little scary (no offense Bobby Flay).

DJT is no more. It only opened less than four months until August 2008, about two weeks before my Las Vegas visit. I was so bummed.

Are you sure? Then why did the director of food and wine at the Trump send me "DJT"-labeled menus just the other day (upon request)?

Alize is a French restaurant. I've never eaten there. If you want French, stick with Robuchon, Savoy (if you wish) or Daniel Boulud. You can also check Ducasse's restaurant Mix over at Mandalay Bay, on the 64th floor.

M'kay.

Wing Lei is a good Chinese restaurant. I ate there once. It won't change your life. Mind you, the Beijing duck is really good if you want that.

Duly noted. Decent Beijing duck is hard to find on these shores. "Really good" Beijing duck is almost a holy grail (save Vancouver). I just might be tempted.

As a side note, rjwong, have you been to l'Atelier de Joel Robuchon in New York?  I wonder how you would compare it to the one in Las Vegas

No, I haven't done New York, New York (aka Manhattan).

Yeah, well, if my two cents are worth anything, it's nothing to scream about. I've posted it about it twice. CLICK HERE and HERE. As you can see from the titles, I'm not exactly dying to check out the one in Vegas.

Edited by ulterior epicure (log)

ulteriorepicure.com

My flickr account

Raku- I've heard nothing by great things about Raku... I still haven't been there. I know they are closed on Sundays... because I tried to go once :hmmm:

Mesa Grill- Honestly, I would only go there for the pre fixe lunch menu served on the weekdays. For $29, it's not bad but don't go out of your way unless you needed a place to fill in a lunch slot.

When the day is going great- I love to go to Bouchon for a beer and a couple of appetizers. The atmosphere is very refreshing and relaxing.

For some great vietnamese off the strip, I like Pho So 1. Just great cheap food.

I'm interested to hear about Picasso... anyone been? It's like the "silent" Michelin 2 restaurant. I never hear anything about the place.

"cuisine is the greatest form of art to touch a human's instinct" - chairman kaga

DJT, in its original concept, is no more. You can read the sad details.

Well, that's a quick cross off my list, sadly.

ulteriorepicure.com

My flickr account

Perhaps things have changed in the last few years. It was my first dining experience with Charlie Trotter. I might have to defer to my fellow eGer, lgott, who has eaten at Bar Charlie three times (lgott, please respond).
Russell, thanks for the plug! I'm in love with Bar Charlie, probably beyond what is reasonable. If there were such a thing as objective food ratings, I'd have to say it isn't as good as Joel Robuchon, Guy Savoy or Alex. However, it's very good indeed, and I enjoy the food bar atmosphere so much that it's the only one of the the uber-expensive places to which I return. If you go for the 14 course meal, talk to Chef Hiroo about your likes and dislikes. He's more than happy to accomodate (at least, he was for me).

When I judge a restaurant, one of the ways it can impress me is by offering foods that I don't think I like, but which are prepared so expertly that I begin to think that perhaps I've simply eaten at the wrong places. Bar Charlie is like that. How could egg drop soup be anything special? Well, prepared with sea urchin and lobster, and with incredible broth, it was. So was the ice cream flavored with ocean trout and miso.

I'm heading out there in less than a month. Original plan was to go to Alex. But it will be closed when I am out there. I would like to go to Joel Robuchon since they announced their additional menus, but finding someone in the group of friends I am going out there with is proving to be difficult. Most aren't really all that interested in that type of food in a formal atmosphere.

So far, I have reservations for large parties at Sensi and Nob Hill Tavern. I'll be there four nights, so I need two more places for dinner. There is still the posibility that I can convince some people to go to Robuchon. I may also head over to Bar Charlie after I see 'Love'. I would go by myself if needed.

We plan to head over to Gold Coast and eat at Ping Pang Pong. I know out out Fat Guy tried that place out with Vegas foodie John Curtas. Seems like it's pretty good. Should be much better than the fancy casual Pan-Asian places like 'Red 8' and whatever the one in Bellagio is called (Noodles??)

I'll try out dining at Encore by hitting Society Cafe for breakfast. I've also heard good things about breakfast at Mon Ami Gabi. If it's early and not too hot, it would be nice to sit outside.

---

I went to Picasso a few years ago (back in 2005). I thought it wa great. Beautiful room. Good food. Refined, polished service.

I went to Wing Lei a while back. I guess it was Summer 2007. A couple of us had the duck tasting menu. It was excellent. Some of us got the wine paiting with it, too. Sommolier was nice and gave us very generous pours of each wine. Largerst pours I've ever had with a tasting menu with wining pairings. They were pretty much full sized pours. I was pretty blitxed bu the end of the meal (especially considering it was hardly my first drink of the day!! )

For French that isn't one of the uber expensive places (Robuchon, Savoy, Alex), why not look into Le Cirque at Bellagio?

Chiming in here with less than useful information, but just something to think about. Las Vegas clearly has a world-class collection of restaurants at the high- and mega-high-end. This is hardly debatable. With that said, for people who travel nearly exclusively for food, the prospect of dining in LV can feel derivative or, worse, boring.

If you're the kind of person who travels to NYC to eat, why eat at the LeC in LV? Similarly, why go to Bouchon if you frequent Napa? The same could be said of the Mina and Ogden restaurants, right? On an even grander scale--a scale that can be attributed to UE in this case--eating at Guy Savoy in LV seems to lack the romance of eating at the restaurant and Paris, replica Eiffel Tower and Chanel marquee be damned. Even singularly Las Vegas eateries like Picasso seem to me to lack a definitive culinary flair, probably because the menu doesn't change all that much. Bartolotta and Alex are the only restaurants I can think of that are exempt from this in that they are destination restaurants in and of themselves, without clones elsewhere. I don't know enough about Bar Charlie to pass judgment on it at present.

Don't get me wrong, dining in LV certainly has its merits. I think this particular discussion is yet another facet of the debate surrounding the soul/terroir of LV's cuisine.

Chiming in here with less than useful information, but just something to think about.  Las Vegas clearly has a world-class collection of restaurants at the high- and mega-high-end.  This is hardly debatable.  With that said, for people who travel nearly exclusively for food, the prospect of dining in LV can feel derivative or, worse, boring.

If you're the kind of person who travels to NYC to eat, why eat at the LeC in LV?  Similarly, why go to Bouchon if you frequent Napa?  The same could be said of the Mina and Ogden restaurants, right?  On an even grander scale--a scale that can be attributed to UE in this case--eating at Guy Savoy in LV seems to lack the romance of eating at the restaurant and Paris, replica Eiffel Tower and Chanel marquee be damned.  Even singularly Las Vegas eateries like Picasso seem to me to lack a definitive culinary flair, probably because the menu doesn't change all that much.  Bartolotta and Alex are the only restaurants I can think of that are exempt from this in that they are destination restaurants in and of themselves, without clones elsewhere.  I don't know enough about Bar Charlie to pass judgment on it at present.

Don't get me wrong, dining in LV certainly has its merits.  I think this particular discussion is yet another facet of the debate surrounding the soul/terroir of LV's cuisine.

That's a pretty fair question, Bryan.

For me, the answer is that I DON'T travel to NYC or Paris or San Francisco just to eat. I haven't been to NYC in years and years. Never been to Paris. I have been to San Francisco several times over the past few years, but for a specific event and only had limited chances to really dine well.

Vegas has become my big destination trip every year (recently, twice a year). It's always a large to really, really large group of friends. We have a lot of fun doing all sorts of things. But the good dining is probably what keeps me coming back. I couldn't get any of these friends to go on a culinary tour of NYC. None of them are gonna get comped rooms at a hotel in midtown. There won't be a big resort style pool. etc. etc.

Though you are right. I wouldn't return to Bouchon Las Vegas if I had been to the one in Napa a few times. I've already dined at Bouchon in Las Vegas for lunch once and dinner once. And breakfast many times. I only return for breakfast now. But I wonder about a place like L'Atelier de Joel Robuchon. There is one in Vegas, one in NYC. Is the NYC more "authentic"? I believe it opened after the Las Vegas location opened. How easy is it to get a seat there? I know in Las Vegas, it's not hard at all. I've dined there twice. Once a large group booked well in advance, the other time a small party booked just 3 or so days in advance (for a Saturday night). Could I have done that in NYC?

All that said, for people are food people and like the overall "action" of Las Vegas, it's a great destination for regular visits. You can certainly eat very well without a whole lot of fuss.

Though you are right.  I wouldn't return to Bouchon Las Vegas if I had been to the one in Napa a few times. I've already dined at Bouchon in Las Vegas for lunch once and dinner once.  And breakfast many times.  I only return for breakfast now.  But I wonder about a place like L'Atelier de Joel Robuchon.  There is one in Vegas, one in NYC.  Is the NYC more "authentic"?  I believe it opened after the Las Vegas location opened.  How easy is it to get a seat there?  I know in Las Vegas, it's not hard at all. I've dined there twice. Once a large group booked well in advance, the other time a small party booked just 3 or so days in advance (for a Saturday night). Could I have done that in NYC?

Which is why I have no desire to visit places like Bouchon, l'AdJR, and other "outposts" in Las Vegas.

All that said, for people are food people and like the overall "action" of Las Vegas, it's a great destination for regular visits.

The last time I was in Las Vegas, they were still building the Luxor.

You can certainly eat very well without a whole lot of fuss.

This, I like.

ulteriorepicure.com

My flickr account

Since before they built the Luxor? Wow. You haven't been in some time.

A LOT has changed since then. Heck, my first trip there was after Luxor had opened. And a lot changed since that trip. At the time, Bellagio had not opened. When Steve Wynn opened that place, that's when things really started to change.

Since before they built the Luxor?  Wow. You haven't been in some time.

A LOT has changed since then.  Heck, my first trip there was after Luxor had opened.  And a lot changed since that trip. At the time, Bellagio had not opened. When Steve Wynn opened that place, that's when things really started to change.

Right. I was a wee high schooler then.

I've been sitting on the benches watching it all go up, up, and up since. I look forward to getting reacquainted with Las Vegas, though I'm sure I would not recognize it today.

ulteriorepicure.com

My flickr account

Debating where to dine for dinner, Daniel Boulud's DBistro is mere steps from the opulent water show of the Parasol Bar, but despite the massive array of empty tables, I was told there was an hour+ wait. Getting hungry, five of us opted to squeeze into the lounge area, which is not quite as comfortable for where (we were told) at least the whole menu was available.

In our classic sharing mode, for the table I ordered a 2004 Outpost Zinfandel which was well-loved by all. Also for the table was the *small* version of the plates du mare, an exceptional offering of chilled fish. On the platter was 4" prawns, three types of crudo and tartare, a half lobster, mussles, oysters, and clams. The quality of the fish was exceptional and ample. I also ordered the terrine of foie which was easily one of the best offerings of foie I have tasted in a decade. Served alongside was an aspic of elderflower and a crème with an inperceptable flavor. We asked about it because it was so light and enticing and the waiter insisted it was horseradish, which was obviously wrong. Regardless, the foie itself was perfectly prepared with a firm, creamy texture and served with delightfully thin, toasted brioche.

Also on the table was a glorious charcuterie plate, the best burger I have ever tasted, a rich duck breast, and a side of creamed spinach. I would go back for the burger in a heart-beat, despite what I think was a $32 price tag. We finished up the evening with a cheese plate but because of the volume in the lounge, we didn't really understand the cheese explanations which were offered. They were served with a few glasses of Tokaji and I was very surprised that in all, the entire meal with tip came to a mere $100 a person. Quite a bargain, considering the quality and bounty of the food offered.

Pics on blog. I'll be posting later about Alex and Morel's.