• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dining in Las Vegas: Part 1

Anyone been to Rao's at Caesars Palace?

I haven't been there, but if you are looking for superb, authentic Italian cuisine, you might want to consider Valentino over at The Venetian. There is a bar and more casual cafe out front-the fine dining room is in the back. It doesn't get as much press as some of the newer places but it should-it's wonderful.

Thanks for the tip. I'll be going to Las Vegas in two weeks. One friend was thinking of Italian one night. He says he likes Italian that's heavy on the red sauce. I suggested he look at the menu for B&B, as it's a place I was interested in. He took a look at the menu and it didn't appeal to him.

He found some other place at venetian, Canaletto. Then suggested Rao's. I think he wants to go there since the one in NYC is supposedly impossible to get into. Personally, I would prefer something other than heavy red sauced American Italian food. I'll suggest Valentino.

I'd steer clear of Canaletto. I've been there twice and both times were a dissapointment. It's a bit cheaper than Valentino, but saving a few bucks lessens the experience incredibly. I don't think you'll find Valentino heavy on the red sauces, but it is truly fine Italian dining of the highest order. I tend to think of Rao's as more Italian-American fare-yes, heavy on the meatballs and red sauce.

What are the other restaurants on your list?

We're off to Vegas in a few weeks and have hit most of the "established" places by Vegas standards -- Picasso, Bradley Ogden, Delmonico etc. -- or have been to another outpost of several others -- Bouchon, Craftsteak, Mesa Grill.

For our nicer dinner (at or under $400-500 for 2 with drinks & tip), where should we try? Current frontrunners are Alex, L'Atelier Joel Robuchon, Bartolotta, Michael Mina.

Thoughts, other suggestions?

We're off to Vegas in a few weeks and have hit most of the "established" places by Vegas standards -- Picasso, Bradley Ogden, Delmonico etc. -- or have been to another outpost of several others -- Bouchon, Craftsteak, Mesa Grill.

For our nicer dinner (at or under $400-500 for 2 with drinks & tip), where should we try?  Current frontrunners are Alex, L'Atelier Joel Robuchon, Bartolotta, Michael Mina. 

I've been to Michael Mina once and L'Atelier twice.

I had good expereinces all three times. MM is far more traditional when it comes to the actual dining setup. You sit at a table with a table cloth and all that stuff. L'Atelier is far more modern. Counter seating. No table cloth. etc. But it's cool and modern and I think it's executed pretty well. And the food is really fantastic.

I've heard so many great things about Alex. It's on the top of my list for places I want to check out. I don't think I'll be able to do it during my upcoming trip, though. I don't think there is anyone in my group of friends on this trip that would be up for it.

Jeff Meeker, aka "jsmeeker"

For our nicer dinner (at or under $400-500 for 2 with drinks & tip), where should we try?  Current frontrunners are Alex, L'Atelier Joel Robuchon, Bartolotta, Michael Mina. 

I'd rank them in the order you listed. However, Alex will break the bank if you go for the tasting menu at $195/person ($325/person with wine pairings). Alex's regular prix fixe menu is $145/person, so you can squeak by if you're careful with drinks/wine.

I like Bartolotta a lot - especially if one orders whole fish. However, I always feel compelled to offer a caveat: the whole fish is prepared very simply. I think it's excellent, but some people have been underwhelmed.

If you're willing to roll the dice, another possibility is DJT, at Trump International. It's very new, but has gotten some rave reviews.

I'd rank them in the order you listed. However, Alex will break the bank if you go for the tasting menu at $195/person ($325/person with wine pairings). Alex's regular prix fixe menu is $145/person, so you can squeak by if you're careful with drinks/wine.

I like Bartolotta a lot - especially if one orders whole fish. However, I always feel compelled to offer a caveat: the whole fish is prepared very simply. I think it's excellent, but some people have been underwhelmed.

If you're willing to roll the dice, another possibility is DJT, at Trump International. It's very new, but has gotten some rave reviews.

What lgott said, in the order you said it. Before the "big boys" of Robuchon & Savoy came into town, I would agree with some that Alex was arguably the best restaurant in Las Vegas. Definitely a splurge dinner. And the head sommelier, Paulo, has his own winery.

L'Atelier is a bit more "casual" than Alex. Mind you, the food is excellent, creative, innovative ... It's all about the food. For a report on L'Atelier, click on this link (I hope you like poetry).

Bartolotta is a very good restaurant with fresh seafood. I enjoyed the branzino when I was there last.

I haven't tried Michael Mina yet.

I ate at DJT. The best new restaurant in Las Vegas. I'm going back there next time. If I can get my act together, I'll give a full report ...

Russell J. Wong aka "rjwong"

Food and I, we go way back ...

I'll echo and agree with the comments of my studied friends. You may want to check out my recent report on my trip to Las Vegas in May. You'll find it under the header "Vegas Uncork'd" within this same Southwest and Western States Forum of Topics. The report includes thoughts and photos on my dinners at Michael Mina and L'Atelier along with a report about the behind the scenes activity at Wynn-including how they buy the precious seafood they serve at Bartolotta.

Alex is quite formal-both in the setting and the food. It is still my favorite fine dining room in Las Vegas.

L'Atelier is a relaxed setting in which you'll dine on some of the finest French cuisine in the country. If you order the tasting menu you'll get small dishes of about 9 courses-a very good deal at about $150.00 without wines. Order off the ala carte menu and you'll be served larger portions-but beware, the entrees can run upwards of $75.00.

The simplicity of Bartolotta is intentionally designed so as not to spoil the freshness of the seafood.

I might suggest you venture out a bit and try Michael Mina. And--don't think you are constrained by only ordering the signature dishes like the Lobster Pot Pie. I think it is totally appropriate to ask the restaurant at the time you make a reservation if they are offering a seasonal tasting menu or seasonal menu items. I've found that the restaurants in Las Vegas are usually quite receptive to meeting your special requests-they often welcome the opportunity to showcase their talents with dishes that may not be listed on the regular menu. I am sure Chef Amoroso would be happy to oblige you with his creativity.

And rj is absolutely correct-DJT is not so quietly building a local buzz-some have already proclaimed it one of the top 5 kitchens in Las Vegas-and still rising on that scale.

Thanks for the opinions -- I forgot to add that we also have Guy Savoy on the list. Does that change anyone's opinions?

BTW -- I'm enthralled by the Vegas Uncorked reviews.

Thanks for the opinions -- I forgot to add that we also have Guy Savoy on the list.  Does that change anyone's opinions?

Savoy is quite a special place-but you will be hard pressed to get out of there for under $500 for two.

This is a place for serious French dining. The room is pretty stark in terms of the design-a small room with a very high ceiling. The furnishings, the tables, the chairs are all very understated so that the focus is on the food on the plates. As such, I feel that the mood and vibe of the customers at Savoy echoes the calm, serene atmosphere of the decor. The service is very formal, beginning with the champagne cart, the service of the dishes, the bread cart, the wine service, and the dessert cart. On and on it goes. And while it is a special, and expensive, experience, I wouldn't go back every trip I make to Las Vegas.

The food at Alex is every bit as good and the room is simply like it's advertised-a combination of the grand staircase out of "Hello Dolly" and the first-class dining room on the Titanic. And the mood at Alex is more skewed toward refined elegance without pretension. At least that's been my experience.

Thanks for the opinions -- I forgot to add that we also have Guy Savoy on the list.  Does that change anyone's opinions?

Savoy is quite a special place-but you will be hard pressed to get out of there for under $500 for two.

Au contraire, mon ami!! There are a couple of options:

The "TGV" menu is a four-course dinner, which lasts about 90 minutes. It's designed for those who are on their way to a concert or a show. The cost is $190 per person.

"Bites and Bubbles" is their casual bar/lounge area with various appetizers and champagnes to begin or end the evening.

Personally, if you can afford it, go to Guy Savoy for the full tasting menu. The food is very good and the service is excellent. Franck Savoy, Chef Guy Savoy's son, is one of the best maitre d' I have ever encountered. Along with Alex, Guy Savoy is very much a splurge dinner.

What's the regular tasting menu run at Guy Savoy? I've tried both the Caesar's & Guy Savoy websites and couldn't find any menu/price info.... These two replies gave me more info!!!

I knocked Joel Robouchon out of the running when I realized that our economic stimulus check (our patriotic duty to spend it, right? :biggrin: ) plus our budget still wouldn't cover our dinner. If the TGV dinner is $190, I imagine the full tasting menu is in the Joel R. price range.

What's the regular tasting menu run at Guy Savoy?  I've tried both the Caesar's & Guy Savoy websites and couldn't find any menu/price info....  These two replies gave me more info!!!

I knocked Joel Robouchon out of the running when I realized that our economic stimulus check (our patriotic duty to spend it, right?  :biggrin: ) plus our budget still wouldn't cover our dinner.  If the TGV dinner is $190, I imagine the full tasting menu is in the Joel R. price range.

AES, try this link. Right underneath the photo in the middle column has the phrase "VIEW MENU", which directs you to a PDF file of the menu.

If you have any more questions, go ahead and send me a PM or e-mail.

Anyone ever been to Tableau at the Wynn for BREAKFAST? I always like to squeeze in at least one *nice* breakfast when I am in town and have always done so at Bouchon. But Wynn is pretty close to TI, too (I won't go far for breakfast), and wanted to try something new.

Anyway, heading to L.V. on Friday. A group of friends and I have a reso at Table 10 at Palazzo for the chef's table. We've had good experiences with that at other Emeril places in town, so we're looking forward to this. Also plan to hit Red 8 at the Wynn after seeing Le Reve. Thought something a little more casual might be nice. Other than that, those are the only two dinners I have planned so far. The rest I'll probably play by ear. I would love to get over to Sensi at Bellagio, though I was thinking of that more for lunch. But really, for dinners, the rule will be "everything must be new [to me]" And I'll try that as much as I can for other meals, too.

We will be in LV next month.

Suggestions from the other couple who we will be with have been

Sensi

Nobhill

Aureole

Red Square

Kokomos

These are all new to me. They go to LV about every month. I'm not a gambler and am only going for the food and shows.

Any feedback and or recommendations on these would be appreciated. Nobhill seems to be at a much higher price point. MM @ the Bellagio looks to have a more extensive menu at the same price.

I am planning on hitting Sensi when I am out there this weekend. Not sure when. Probably for a lunch, but could be a dinner. I hear lots of great things about it here at eGullet forums. I'll suggest MM. Been there. It was nice. Good meal (our table had the tasting menu)

We will be in LV next month.

Suggestions from the other couple who we will be with have been

Sensi

Nobhill

Aureole

Red Square

Kokomos

These are all new to me.  They go to LV about every month.  I'm not a gambler and am only going for the food and shows.

Any feedback and or recommendations on these would be appreciated.  Nobhill seems to be at a much higher price point.  MM @ the Bellagio looks to have a more extensive menu at the same price.

Check out my recent report on "Vegas Uncork'd"-it includes reviews of both Sensi and Michael Mina.

I'd suggest looking over the online menus ahead of time so you get an idea of the types of cuisine at each of the restaurants you've listed above. I always recommend that people try to look over menus in advance of making a reservation. That way you don't get to the restaurant, and pay big bucks, for food that doesn't suit you or the other people in your party.

Both Michael Mina (Bellagio) and Nobhill (MGM) are owned by Chef Michael Mina. The cuisine at Mina is focused on seafood, while the dishes at Nobhill are more reflective of what some call the cuisine of San Francisco (i.e. the name Nobhill for the famous San Francisco neighborhood). Personally, I think the food at Michael Mina at Bellagio is superior, and I love the comfortable atmosphere-it's not at all stuffy like some of the other high-end places in Las Vegas.

Kokomo's is your basic Las Vegas steak place serving USDA Prime Grade beef. I never totally understood why the people at The Mirage named their steakhouse Kokomo's-they say it has to do with the "tropical rainforest" decor of the hotel atrium-but the name just seems a bit out of place as it relates to the cuisine. Kokomo's is basically like many steakhouses in Las Vegas-they serve good meat and cook it decent. I think you would enjoy it, but Kokomo's doesn't offer anything over and above any other steak and potatoes place in town.

You may want to venture out a bit and try Morel's (French Bistro, including steaks and a large cheese menu), over at The Palazzo or Restaurant DJT (New American with creative twists) over at Mr. Trump's hotel not far off the strip.

I haven't been down to Aureole at Mandalay Bay in some time. I try to go to the newer places each time I go to Las Vegas. Enjoy and send us a report with photos.

Girls weekend is in vegas next weekend- we have ressies at Boulud and B&B for dinners. Looking for a late lunch spot on Sunday- say around 4pm. French bistro style preferred although american and italian are good too. We are staying at the Palazzo- suggestions? I wanted to do Bouchon but looks like just the oyster bar is open at 4?

Has anyone been to Mix lately?  I went to a function in the lounge last year, and thought the dining room looked gorgeous.  Does the food live up to the decor?

My husband and I went to Mix in December. The food was very good, but the experience as a whole wasn't that great. They really rushed us through... our $300-plus dinner lasted just over an hour. The mac-n-cheese was stellar, as was my main course (veal tenderloin). My husband had lobster in curry sauce and thought it was pretty good.

"There is nothing like a good tomato sandwich now and then."

-Harriet M. Welsch

Has anyone been to Mix lately?  I went to a function in the lounge last year, and thought the dining room looked gorgeous.  Does the food live up to the decor?

My husband and I went to Mix in December. The food was very good, but the experience as a whole wasn't that great. They really rushed us through... our $300-plus dinner lasted just over an hour. The mac-n-cheese was stellar, as was my main course (veal tenderloin). My husband had lobster in curry sauce and thought it was pretty good.

Thanks for the feedback. It's a shame your meal was so speedy. How many courses did you have?

I just got back from Las Vegas on Monday. We had dinner at L'Atelier and Michael Mina. We did the $145 pp tasting menu at L'Atelier and ordered ala carte at Mina. I never get to order tasting menus because my SO *hates* them but since this was a big "0" birthday week for me he was cajoled into trying it. Bottom line -- he loved the tasting menu including the things he claimed to hate like the raw tuna "cured" in olive oil and the diver scallops. He would have prefered dining at Robuchon because of the table service even at their prices but we had a great time anyway. Unfortunately for his wallet we will dine at Robuchon in a few weeks :rolleyes: . Michael Mina was also great. He ordered the foie gras dish as a starter and I the scallops trio. I didn't taste his foie as the scallops consumed my attention. I really loved the scallops with potatoes and leeks on the trio selection. For mains he ordered the American Kobe beef trio and seemed to love it. I ordered the Dover Sole encrusted in Filo and, while good, it seemed over the top buttery. I loved what I tasted of his meal. Neither of us had room for desserts at Mina but we both loved the space even if hating the cab line to get back to our hotel.

Kate

Thanks for the feedback.  It's a shame your meal was so speedy.  How many courses did you have?

Just three - appetizer, main, dessert (we each had mushroom gnocchi as appetizer.) The food came in such rapid succession that I was physically uncomfortable eating the dessert... it was just too much, too fast. (Which is a shame because it was *really good* food for the most part.)

"There is nothing like a good tomato sandwich now and then."

-Harriet M. Welsch

I returned from Las Vegas late last night.. I'll run down all the places I dined at for various meals during my 4 night stay.

I arrived Friday. We had the chef's table reserved (a group of 10) at Table 10 at Palazzo (this is Emeril's newest place). Before goign to the restaurant, some of use wandered around the Palazzo a bit. We found Charlie Trotter at the back of the casino and went in for a drink at the bar. The Bar Charlie "restuarant within a restaurant" was off to the right of the host stand as you entered the restaurant (through doors, so it's not really open to the casino). Popped my head in there. It bascially looks like a sushi bar/counter service place. But with what seemed like a full kitchen. We parked it at the bar bar for a drink. Very expensive drinks. Many were $20+ on the menu. I had a nicely made Pimms Cup for abour $14, IIRC. Big KoldDraft ice cubes were being used. Friend just got a rum and coke (his standard drink). The Coke came from a mini classic shaped Coca-Cola bottle.

Dinner at Table 10 was pretty good. I think there were 5 savory courses, followed by a dessert course which was a presentation of a whole ton of desserts. Everyone really liked this meal. Many in the group had never done anything like this before. So, I was happy they liked it. Of course, I never saw a regualr menu, so I don't know what was offered there in the main room. But the place was pretty busy.

Only meal of note on Saturday was Red 8 at the Wynn. This was a little dissapointing. Not so good. Not horrible, just so-so. Only one dish out of all the stuff ordered was pretty good.

Sunday, a few of us went back to Wynn to have breakfast at Tableau. This is within the Wynn tower suites section, so it's a bit off the beaten path. This was very nice. I enjoyed my breakfast. We did choose to sit outside. It was a little warm and only got warmer. Still, every thing was good. Nice service. They were even serving breakfast to guests at the pool. People just standing there in the pool with their plates french toast or whatever resting on the deck. Later in the day, we were up at Bellagio with more people and decided on lunch at Noodles. Again, another so-so Asian meal. They were doing dim-sum, so we also got several things from those carts. They may have been the best things we had. As a side note, soda re-fills were NOT free. $4.50 for a Diet coke and they won't re-fill it for free. Seemed kind of odd for a place like that in a big ritzy casino. It's not like it's some little independent joint someplace. Weird.

Sunday dinner tunred out to be one we did late because of the late lunch at Beallagio. Two of my friends wanted a steak joint. I always resist going to steak joints when I travel since Dallas has so many. But instead of dining alone, I decided I would join them. We just happened to select the steak place at Planet Hollywood. We all sort of like the general vibe of the P-Ho and wanted to spend some more time there. So, that's where we went. As mentioend previously, Vegas has lots of steak joints. And normally, I find ALL nice steak joints to be pretty much about the same when it comes to food. And this was no exception. It was GOOD, for sure. Everything was done well. Service was good and friendly. I shared a large steak with a friend and they did a nice table side carving of it. This place doesn't really stand out in anyway over other steak places I have been too, but it certainly wasn't dissappointing either. I guess if anyone I knew was staying at P-Ho or wanted to check it out and wanted a steak, I would give it a thumbs up. Not too crazy expensive, either, which was pretty nice for new place right in the middle of the Strip.

On Monday, I did my only "repeat" meal of the trip. Went to Bouchon for breakast (been there several times now). We got there right at closing time, but it was no problem. This visit might have yielded the best service for breakfast that I have ever had there. Food was fine. As good as I have ever had it. I didn't eat much this time as I was still recovering from the past two nights. Just a yogurt parfait and some of the pastries (which are always really good. everyone always loves them). Didn't even eat lunch Monday. I wanted to find a way to get everyone in the group that was still in town for one last dinner together. We wound up down at MGM and then once there, decided on Wolfgang Puck Bar and Grill. Place was pretty busy, but they were able to seat a party of 8 right away. The menu had a nice enough variety to make everyone happy. Good food. The corn soup I had to start was especially good. So, that's a pretty good choice at MGM Grand if you are looking some something casual that isn't the buffet or coffee shop or the damn Rainforest Cafe.

I left on Tuesday, but had a late flight. Checked out of my hotel (TI) and went to Bellagio. Stored my bag and made my way to Sensi for lunch. I had been wanting to go there all weekend based on reviews from here at eGullet forums. I'm glad I made it because I thought it was excellent. My meal was pretty much all asian. Won ton soup, then some assorted sushi rolls. Followed up by a nice dessert that was basically like a semi frozen lemon merinque pie. I really like the setup of this place with the large kitchen in the middle. To whole restaurant is far larger than I was expecting it to be, too. The fresh baked Nann bread they served was outstanding. I was seated across from the kitchen area that had the tandoori oven. The cook there was making the bread to order for each new table that was seated (which wasn't many people. The place was empty). I really recommend this place, too. I'd like to go back to dinner some time. Looks like they have some sort of "chef's table" there. Or at least, a large private table right off one of the entrances to the kitchen

Since we'll be staying at Wynn, I'm interested to check out Tableau. I've read nothing but raves here at at other places.

Has no one tried Corsa Cucina at Wynn? I had lunch there twice during my last visit (they're no longer open for lunch) and had fantastic meals both times. Upscale casual Italian, expertly prepared. Alessandro Stratta (of Alex and Renoir fame) is the chef. I'd compare the food and quality to Cafe Spiaggia here in Chicago.

I returned from Las Vegas late last night.. I'll run down all the places I dined at for various meals during my 4 night stay.

I arrived Friday. We had the chef's table reserved  (a group of 10) at Table 10 at Palazzo (this is Emeril's newest place).  Before goign to the restaurant, some of use wandered around the Palazzo a bit. We found Charlie Trotter at the back of the casino and went in for a drink at the bar.  The Bar Charlie "restuarant within a restaurant" was off to the right of the host stand as you entered the restaurant (through doors, so it's not really open to the casino). Popped my head in there. It bascially looks like a sushi bar/counter service place.  But with what seemed like a full kitchen.  We parked it at the bar bar for a drink.  Very expensive drinks. Many were $20+ on the menu.  I had a nicely made Pimms Cup for abour $14, IIRC.  Big KoldDraft ice cubes were being used.  Friend just got a rum and coke (his standard drink).  The Coke came from a mini classic shaped Coca-Cola bottle.

Dinner at Table 10 was pretty good.  I think  there were 5 savory courses, followed by a dessert course which was a presentation of a whole ton of desserts.  Everyone really liked this meal. Many in the group had never done anything like this before. So, I was happy they liked it.    Of course, I never saw a regualr menu, so I don't know what was offered there in the main room.  But the place was pretty busy.

Only meal of note on Saturday was Red 8 at the Wynn.  This was a little dissapointing.  Not so good.  Not horrible, just so-so. Only one dish out of all the stuff ordered was pretty good.

Sunday, a few of us went back to Wynn to have breakfast at Tableau.  This is within the Wynn tower suites section, so it's a bit off the beaten path.  This was very nice. I enjoyed my breakfast. We did choose to sit outside.  It was a little warm and only got warmer. Still, every thing was good. Nice service.  They were even serving breakfast to guests at the pool. People just standing there in the pool with their plates french toast or whatever resting on the deck.    Later in the day, we were up at Bellagio with more people and decided on lunch at Noodles.  Again, another so-so  Asian meal. They were doing dim-sum, so we also got several things from those carts. They may have been the best things we had.  As a side note, soda re-fills were NOT free.  $4.50 for a Diet coke and they won't re-fill it for free. Seemed kind of odd for a place like that in a big ritzy casino.  It's not like it's some little independent joint someplace.  Weird.

Sunday dinner tunred out to be one we did late because of the late lunch at Beallagio.  Two of my friends wanted a steak joint. I always resist going to steak joints when I travel since Dallas has so many. But instead of dining alone, I decided I would join them. We just happened to select the steak place at Planet Hollywood.  We all sort of like the general vibe of the P-Ho and wanted to spend some more time there.  So, that's where we went.  As mentioend previously, Vegas has lots of steak joints. And normally, I find ALL nice steak joints to be pretty much about the same when it comes to food.  And this was no exception.  It was GOOD, for sure.  Everything was done well. Service was good and friendly.  I shared a large steak with a friend and they did a nice table side carving of it.  This place doesn't really stand out in anyway over other steak places  I have been too, but it certainly wasn't dissappointing either.  I guess if anyone I knew was staying at P-Ho or wanted to check it out and wanted a steak, I would give it a thumbs up.  Not too crazy expensive, either, which was pretty nice for new place right in the middle of the Strip.

On Monday, I did my only "repeat" meal of the trip.  Went to Bouchon for breakast (been there several times now).  We got there right at closing time, but it was no problem.  This visit might have yielded the best service for breakfast that I have ever had there. Food was fine. As good as I have ever had it.  I didn't eat much this time as I was still recovering from the past two nights. Just a yogurt parfait and some of the pastries (which are always really good. everyone always loves them).  Didn't even eat lunch Monday.  I wanted to find a way to get everyone in the group that was still in town for one last dinner together. We wound up down at MGM and then once there, decided on Wolfgang Puck Bar and Grill.  Place was pretty busy, but they were able to seat a party of 8 right away. The menu had a nice enough variety to make everyone happy.  Good food.  The corn soup I had to start was especially good.  So, that's a pretty good choice at MGM Grand if you are looking some something casual that isn't the buffet or coffee shop or the damn Rainforest Cafe.

I left on Tuesday, but had a late flight. Checked out of my hotel (TI) and went to Bellagio.  Stored my bag and made my way to Sensi for lunch.  I had been wanting to go there all weekend based on reviews from here at eGullet forums.  I'm glad I made it because I thought it was excellent. My meal was pretty much all asian.  Won ton soup, then some assorted sushi rolls. Followed up by a nice dessert that was basically like a semi frozen lemon merinque pie.    I really like the setup of this place with the large kitchen in the middle.  To whole restaurant is far larger than I was expecting it to be, too.    The fresh baked Nann bread they  served was outstanding. I was seated across from the kitchen area that had the tandoori oven. The cook there was making the bread to order for each new table that was seated (which wasn't many people.  The place was empty).  I really recommend this place, too.  I'd like to go back to dinner some time. Looks like they have  some sort of "chef's table" there. Or at least, a large private table right off one of the entrances to the kitchen

Jeff thank you so much for the report and I am so glad you enjoyed Sensi. As you know, it is one of my favorites.

You are right, the table off to the right as you walk past the reception desk and enter into the dining rooms is in fact a "Chef's Table." I believe it is normally set for 8-14 guests, but I think they will accept smaller parties. I have always found the staff and Chef Heirling quite accomodating, so if you are interested in booking the Chef's table next time you are in town, I'm pretty sure they will accomodate you-and I am sure Chef Heirling would welcome the challenge of being able to create a special tasting menu for the table. Next time request the live Santa Barbara Spot Prawns if they are in season!