• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Kueh-Kueh, Double Double - Why Why?

...(Dangerous thing to do, I know)

But so many Malay/Indonesian dishes I've tried (and others) have a "double" title. Kueh, Kueh, Otak-otak, gado-gado, halo-halo, onde-onde. Why, why?

Is it a cultural thing? Can someone explain? :biggrin:

--Janet (Pitchblack)

Mochi, Foi Thong and Rojak - what more can a girl want from life?

http://www.frombruneiandbeyond.com

In Malay, you make a noun plural by repeating it. So kueh kueh is the plural of kueh. Kueh-mueh is another common term, which means an assortment of kueh.

The converse isn't always true. Gado-gado is I believe just what that dish is called. I don't think it is the plural of gado. I don't even know what gado means -- gado-gado is Indonesian. So is onde-onde. Also don't think otak-otak is supposed to the plural of "brains".

I think there was another thread that discussed the origins of the name bubur chacha. Bubur is malay for congee/porridge, and one theory is that chacha came from Aceh, a place in Indonesia.

I didn't really answer your question, did I?

If I'm not mistaken halo-halo is Filipino.

Edited by Laksa (log)

Apparently, in Indonesian, "menggado" means to eat the side dishes (lauk), rather than the rice:

http://www.seasite.niu.edu/Indonesian/TataBahasa/dictionary/

Makan juga nasimu!  Jangan MENGGADO lauk saja. = Eat your rice also! Don't EAT THE SIDE DISHES only.

But "gado" also seems to have a connotation of a mixture:

*GADO-GADO: 1 a k.o. salad eaten with peanut sauce. 2 s.t. consisting of various elements.

Combinations/Idioms: lagu gado-gado=potpurri of songs; bersifat gado-gado=heterogeneous. ###

But there's no question that doubled words aren't always plurals. To give a food example, "matamata," meaning "policeman," is not the plural of "mata," meaning "eye." One can imagine an etymological relationship (the police are the eyes of the law, or something), but a literal plural it ain't.

Michael aka "Pan"

Thanks Michael! How fascinating that the Indoesians have a term like menggado. I wonder if that says anything about about Indonesian eating habits.

I think every language should have a word for this practice. If there are Chinese people reading, is there special Chinese term for eating the sung and not the rice?

Edited by Laksa (log)

I think every language should have a word for this practice.  If there are Chinese people reading, is there special Chinese term for eating the sung and not the rice?

I don't know of a single Chinese word for this. In Cantonese, we do say someone "Sik sung mmm sik fan" (where "sik" = eat, "sung" = main dish, side dish, "mmm" is the negation, means "no", "fan" = rice). And this phrase usually has a negative connotation, and usually is used when parents lecturing their children over meals. Chinese believe that it's very important that you eat rice so that you can be healthy.

W.K. Leung ("Ah Leung") aka "hzrt8w"

• 5 months later...

In Baba Malay (at least in Singapore), gado gado means to fight : so in my family at least, if we eat it up, we'll end up fighting.

Apparently, in Indonesian, "menggado" means to eat the side dishes (lauk), rather than the rice:

http://www.seasite.niu.edu/Indonesian/TataBahasa/dictionary/

Makan juga nasimu!  Jangan MENGGADO lauk saja. = Eat your rice also! Don't EAT THE SIDE DISHES only.

But "gado" also seems to have a connotation of a mixture:

*GADO-GADO: 1 a k.o. salad eaten with peanut sauce. 2 s.t. consisting of various elements.

Combinations/Idioms: lagu gado-gado=potpurri of songs; bersifat gado-gado=heterogeneous. ###

But there's no question that doubled words aren't always plurals. To give a food example, "matamata," meaning "policeman," is not the plural of "mata," meaning "eye." One can imagine an etymological relationship (the police are the eyes of the law, or something), but a literal plural it ain't.

In Teochew, the dishes are known as "kiam" - which sounds the same as salty - so a mother would complain if a child is a fussy eater with "chiak poong mai chiak kiam" (chiak = eat, mai = negation, poong=rice)

Thanks Michael!  How fascinating that the Indoesians have a term like menggado.  I wonder if that says anything about about Indonesian eating habits.

I think every language should have a word for this practice.  If there are Chinese people reading, is there special Chinese term for eating the sung and not the rice?

In Baba Malay (at least in Singapore), gado gado means to fight : so in my family at least, if we eat it up, we'll end up fighting.

That's bergaduh (same in standard Malay -- you can look it up here), not menggado. A search of the Indonesian-English dictionary linked above produces the same result, too.

Michael aka "Pan"

The beauty of baba malay is it's neither standard malay nor indonesia - but the reference to fighting may be a pun on (ber)gaduh and gado (mix/disorderly).

I think the name is probably derived from the "mixture/salad" meaning than "lauk". In Indonesia today, some academics use the metaphor of gado-gado to discuss multiculturalism - various elements coming together under a sauce.

my 2 cents worth.

That's bergaduh (same in standard Malay -- you can look it up here), not menggado. A search of the Indonesian-English dictionary linked above produces the same result, too.

In Malay, you make a noun plural by repeating it.  So kueh kueh is the plural of kuehKueh-mueh is another common term, which means an assortment of kueh.

The converse isn't always true.  Gado-gado is I believe just what that dish is called.  I don't think it is the plural of gado.  I don't even know what gado means -- gado-gado is Indonesian.  So is onde-onde.  Also don't think otak-otak is supposed to the plural of "brains".

If I'm not mistaken halo-halo is Filipino.

Halo-halo is Filipino. (Or, more formally, halu-halo as the first "o" of two "o"s in sequence becomes a "u".)

Similar to Malay, repetition is an easy way of either adding emphasis or pluralizing nouns or verbs. The verb turo means to point. Turo-turo (or turu-turo) is a slang expression for a cafeteria-style or fast-food restaurant where you point out the dishes you'd like to order.

Joie Alvaro Kent

"I like rice. Rice is great if you're hungry and want 2,000 of something." ~ Mitch Hedberg