• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

[DFW] Sources for Japanese Knives?

RonThePirate

• 3 weeks later...

Sur la Table sells a line of Japanese knives - but at this moment I do not recall the brand. Kazy's also has a few. However, to find any realistic and meaningful selection of Japanese knives you will have to check places like JB Prince in NYC (www.jbprince.com), or some other major culinary and professional supplier. Your sushi chef should be able to refer you to a source. I do have a catalog listing the knives available from the top Japanese mfgs, but it is currently on lone to a friend. I will get hold of it and refer you to its source.

In particular, what kind of knives are you seeking? Dual edge, for Western style use, or single edge for fish work?

Regards,

Theabroma

Sharon Peters aka "theabroma"

The lunatics have overtaken the asylum

Sur La Table is the closest brick'n'mortar, but I get my Globals from NorthwestCutleryAndMore.com (or something like that). The selection is extremely comprehensive, though after a couple of years with my G7 I don't see why you'd need anything else. The prices are are about as low as it gets, too.

J.D. Prince (once again, something like that) has a pretty good selection of Global and their more traditional line, plus some nice Macs and Shuns. The prices are a little too steep, though.

Nam Pla moogle; Please no MacDougall! Always with the frugal...