• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Thai/Vietnamese groceries in/near Everett?

This is a specialized question, but if I can get it answered anywhere, I know this is the place.

I'm flying in to cook for a group near Livingston Bay, and I don't want to lug canned goods. Can anyone help me find a place in (or north of) Everett where I could get, say, canned CHAOKOH coconut milk by the case? (It costs twice as much by the single can.)

And Maesri curry paste single-use cans (the ones that look like tunafish cans) by the case?

If that's not likely, perhaps you could point out a good Asian grocery where I could get that stuff, somewhere near the route from SeaTac north along Hwy 5?

Much obliged.

The closest place that I can think of that might meet your requirements is the Ranch 99 Market in Edmonds. This is approximately 15 miles south of downtown Everett, and is along Highway 99 in the 230th street block. It is just north of the King County line and is on the right side of the street as you travel north on Highway 99.

Edited to add that Ranch 99 is a large store with a correspondingly large selection. Most of the other Asian markets in Snohomish county are essentially holes in the wall, except for the Pal Do Korean market, and thus Ranch 99 is possibly the most likely store in this area to have your items by the case.

Edited by MGLloyd (log)

Regards,

Michael Lloyd

Mill Creek, Washington USA

There is the  Everett Oriental Grocery  118 SE Everett Mall Way

the phone number is 425-347-6966.

Its a small place so I would call ahead. Or just stop off at Uwajimaya

http://www.uwajimaya.com/

Coconut milk is no bargain at Uwajimaya. I buy it at those barn/airplane hangar-like markets on Jackson at around 10th or so (in the I.D.).

Edited by MsRamsey (log)

"Save Donald Duck and Fuck Wolfgang Puck."

-- State Senator John Burton, joking about

how the bill to ban production of foie gras in

California was summarized for signing by

Gov. Schwarzenegger.

Where is Jackson? What's the ID?

Thank you much for your patience.

Jackson street, and 10th avenue in the International District (formerly known as Chinatown in less-sensitive days) is just a few blocks south and east of downtown Seattle. It is not far from I-5 coming north from Sea-Tac, but parking in the area can be a bear.

Edited by MGLloyd (log)

Regards,

Michael Lloyd

This is cool, we're really homing in now. All I need is a name of one of those "barn/airplane hangar-like markets on Jackson at around 10th or so." Googling and Yahoo Maps suggests:

=> Hop Thanh Supermarket (206) 322-7473 1043 S Jackson St, Seattle, WA 98104

=> Viet Wah Supermarket. 1032 S Jackson St Seattle, WA

=> HAU HAU Market. 412 12th Avenue South, Seattle, WA 98144

Anyone care to identify a hangar-like space where my precious CHAOKOH by the case may be obtained?

And thank you, everyone, for your help.

Hey, great work SB. If you can get yourself to Viet Wah on Jackson (East of I-5) park where you can. Viet Wah has a parking lot and there should be street parking. Across the street should be the hangar type markets that Ms. Ramsey was refering to. There should be a display stand for fruit/vegs visible on the street. Good luck, WL

This is cool, we're really homing in now. All I need is a name of one of those "barn/airplane hangar-like markets on Jackson at around 10th or so."

I can't remember ever seeing business names displayed. They will be on the south side of the street at approx. Jackson and 10th. Even if one could find a phone number for one of these markets, calling might be an exercise in futility unless you speak Mandarin.

Gov. Schwarzenegger.

If you're looking for locations south of Everett too (your original post said Everett or north), you can try Central Market in Shoreline -- www.central-market.com -- which is closer to Everett (<20 miles) than the ID (30+ miles). Not that a trip to the ID wouldn't be fun, but I got the impression you were trying to pick things up ont eh way to somewhere else...

I know they stock Chaokoh and at least some of the Maesri pastes -- I'm partial to the Mae Ploy tubs, so I'm not sure which Maesri flavors they have -- and there's no language barrier, so you could easily call and find out.

Ranch 99 Market, mentioned below, should also do the trick.

~Anita

Anita Crotty travel writer & mexican-food addictwww.marriedwithdinner.com

You are a Thai chef?

ImportFood.com Thai Supermarket is located in Seattle and specializes in Thai groceries, call toll free 888-618-8424 and order case quantities, we will give you free UPS shipping to the address in Livingston Bay (is that Camano?). Will cost maybe $10 more than Viet Wah but considering convenience and saved money via gasoline and your time, perhaps a winning choice. We have all of the Maesri flavors with fresh dates (something you don't always find) and Chaokoh. Delivered one day after shipment. Mention Egullet for the free shipping deal. Sorry if anyone thinks this is Spam but I found it relevant and perhaps helpful; anyway, with free shipping cases of cans this is not going to be a big profit bonanza for us. Just something to consider. If you want to go to Seattle I suggest Viet Wah or Mekong Rainier, they have good fresh produce as well if you need it. Mekong even has frozen Cha-Ohm which you can not get anywhere, boil some of that up for your guests and serve with namprik. Lately at ImportFood.com we have something special, real namprik such as narok, tadaeng, sawan and playang,

http://importfood.com/cppt0301.html

Chok dee.

Mekong Market (or something very close as a name) is in the 1300 block of Hewitt in Everett. They had Chaokoh last time I was there. Don't know about case prices, but the owner is very nice and if you call them they can probably arrange to have it waiting for you. They're not as cheap as shops in the ID but my mum likes going there because it's close.

regards,

trillium

This is cool, we're really homing in now. All I need is a name of one of those "barn/airplane hangar-like markets on Jackson at around 10th or so."

I just ran across a receipt from one of these places in the I.D. (not on Jackson, but a couple of blocks away):

Rising Produce

1003 S. King St.

Ph: 206-324-6205

--Kathy

Gov. Schwarzenegger.

I think the big blue barn place across from the Pacific whatever (New Kowloon/diagonal from Viet Wah) is called something like Bill's or other generic name. They have all sorts of canned goods in the back, including a number of curry pastes I haven't seen before, but many have a nice coat of dust on them--depends on how well they sell. But the produce sure is cheap (why are limes .10 there and .59-.99 in the supermarket?), and some the canned goods probably are too.

To get there, and the other places mentioned in this thread from Sea-Tac:

Take I-5 north.

When you start to see signs for I-90, get to the right. There will also be signs for Dearborn, which is what you want, but those signs are hard to spot.

Exit at Dearborn. (do not get on I-90, pay attention close to the exit).

Turn left on Dearborn.

Turn right at the first place you can after going under the highway. This should be 8th.

Go as far as you can (4 blocks)

Turn right, this is Jackson.

As you go up Jackson, the produce place mentiond above will be on the right just after you go under I-5 again. Viet Wah will be on the left just after that, they have parking. go up to 12th and turn right, and Hau Hau will be on the next corner (King)--turn left to go to their underground parking lot. There are also other markets around.

I don't know which one of these is best for a quick in-and-out for a case of stuff.

Uwajimaya is a lot of fun and way cleaner and more expensive than the others. It's at Dearborn and 6th, just go back down the hill to find it.

To get back to I-5, retrace your steps (back to Jackson, down the hill, left on 8th, left on Dearborn). If you're travelling near the evening rush, you may want to skip the ID so you can take the express lanes through Seattle.

Edited by mb7o (log)

Although the original poster has already had his/her needs met, I thought I would post an update in case anyone else ever reads this thread.

There is a new source for Asian groceries in the Everett area. The new Central Market in Mill Creek opened two days ago, and I stopped by last night on my way home from work. Although not to the level of a Ranch 99, it has a significant selection of Asian groceries, frozen foods and produce, including the items by the case that the original poster sought.

The rest of the store was pretty darn good, too, especially the meat, produce and fresh/live seafood areas. The interior layout and selection is almost identical to the Central Market in Shoreline, but I thought the Mill Creek store had a better deli/prepared food area.

I have long wanted something like a Larry's or similar upscale grocery in the Mill Creek area, and it looks like we have it. And when they finish the University Book Store branch right next to Central Market, well, I can tell where lots of my money will be going!

Regards,

Michael Lloyd

is this new central market part of the chain that's big in texas?

No. It is part of a small local chain called Town and Country Markets. They own stores in Ballard, Greenwood, Bainbridge, Poulsbo, Shoreline and now Mill Creek. The Poulsbo, Shoreline and Mill Creek stores are called Central Market.

Regards,

Michael Lloyd