• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Iced drinks

Ed Hamilton

From another thread I read

I had it on ice, and it seems I don't taste things as well on ice.

This is very true. Remember the cheap wines that had the warning on the label, serve very cold?

Our taste buds don't function as well when subjected to cold stimulus. When I taste a fine rum, I like to hold a small glass in my hands to warm the liquid a little. Warming the liquid releases more of the aroma, which is also an important part of the tasting experience.

But, some drinks are best cold. Especially those that are lighter in character such as white rums mixed with fruit juices. There is nothing as refreshing as a cold drink on a hot day. But alcohol also dehydrates your body, so I always start with a large glass of cool water, then enjoy my favorite drink, rum.

Edward Hamilton

Ministry of Rum.com

The Complete Guide to Rum

When I dream up a better job, I'll take it.

• 10 months later...

<blockquote>Hi Ed, </blockquote>here in Arizona we like cold drinks. I'm a big fan of sitting out by the pool with a frozen drink in my hand. My preference is to pour a drink so cold that it's hard to get the drink out of the blender, since the heat will thaw the ice soon enough. </blockquote> You're right: liquor will dehydrate you quickly. It's smart to keep plenty of water at hand. <blockquote> <blockquote>Dan </blockquote> </blockquote>

Edited by danimal (log)

I love cold drinks as well, and with high humidity, the ice melts even faster than it does in the dessert. But when I'm tasting spirits, I try to taste them at room temperature so I can taste more of the flavors since our taste buds don't work as well at cold temps.

Edward Hamilton

Ministry of Rum.com

The Complete Guide to Rum

When I dream up a better job, I'll take it.

My rule of thumbs are this:

The higher the alcohol content, the colder it should be.

The poorer the quality, the colder it should be.

And conversely:

The lower the alcohol content, the warmer it should be.

The higher the quality, the warmer it should be.

• 2 weeks later...
I love cold drinks as well, and with high humidity, the ice melts even faster than it does in the dessert. But when I'm tasting spirits, I try to taste them at room temperature so I can taste more of the flavors since our taste buds don't work as well at cold temps.

I tend to agree with you up to a point. I've learned (from the Pyrat rum website) that the recommended way to enjoy Pyrat XO is to fill a small glass with cubed ice and pour a shot or so of the rum over the ice. let it sit for a few minutes......dash with a slice of lime if so desired......sit back and enjoy. The ice (water) really brings out the favor of this rum. Drinking it neat is a completely different experience on the taste buds and not nearly as enjoyable. :cool: Also explains why here in So. California you can buy Pyrat XO rum (on sale) for 19 bucks and it includes a pair of V-shaped glasses to enjoy the product. www.hitimewine.net

Each rum tends to lend itself to different drinking styles. Pusser rum is THE best rum for making the famous 'painkiller'........cuts right through as they say. For me, it's a little to strong to drink neat though. :biggrin:

But lets face it.......don't like the 'rum police' tell you how to enjoy your drink. Just do it! :biggrin: