• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

White Castle

fresh_a

Because we have the technology. Because we can.

Who doesn't like mechanically seperated chicken? These ringed nuggets are made the same why McNuggets are made. They all come from the same bucket of goo.

I had an opportunity to try them a year ago and they weren't any worse regular chicken nuggets from Wendy's or McD's.

This is actually an old product, not a new one. White Castle has had them for years. As Klink says, they do indeed taste the same as every other similar product. Not bad, not good. Just... as a plank for sauce and breading mostly.

Jon Lurie, aka "jhlurie"

I think it's probably a new genetic hybrid that has crossed a chicken with a squid and yielded tubular boneless bodies on chicken. Yum. Just think of the possibilities.

I don't bother with onion rigns that don't have real whole rings of onion in them but then again... I rarely get fast food and that's most likely why I don't encounter them. I typically get onuion rings when getting food at oen of our local independent fish fry places. They all use real rings of onion.

This is actually an old product, not a new one.  White Castle has had them for years.  As Klink says, they do indeed taste the same as every other similar product.  Not bad, not good.  Just... as a plank for sauce and breading mostly.

I can't speak to that because I've never been to a White Castle - seriously, I haven't, not once in 5 decades. But I think that what is new is the saturation-level TV ad campaign for those blighted chicken rings.

(BTW, growing up in St. Louis, we never saw any need to drive to White Castle when there was a Steak & Shake much closer to home. These days I'd drive past a dozen WCs to get to a Steak & Shake.)

Thank God for tea! What would the world do without tea? How did it exist? I am glad I was not born before tea!

- Sydney Smith, English clergyman & essayist, 1771-1845

• 10 years later...

If I go to White Castle, I want little beef gut grenades causing pain and suffering for any and all who have to follow me in the bathroom the next morning. But between the actual vegetarians, the people trying to eat somewhat healthier and the pretend vegetarians, there's a lot of money to be made in that area. I don't blame them for trying. With the admission that I know not much at all about the world of trying to mimic meat items with non-meat items, there's something about finding whole lima beans in my burger patty that doesn't appeal to me at all. Maybe I should make an attempt to explore meat-mimicking veggie items just in the interest of learning.

• Like 2

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

• 8 years later...

We did a family trip to New Jersey a few years ago. I was super excited to get to a white castle (something Harold and Kumar related I think…). Don’t think I’ve  ever been as disappointed in my life! 

I’d definitely try again with steamed burgers but that was grim 

6 minutes ago, &roid said:

We did a family trip to New Jersey a few years ago. I was super excited to get to a white castle (something Harold and Kumar related I think…). Don’t think I’ve  ever been as disappointed in my life! 

I’d definitely try again with steamed burgers but that was grim 

I bet. White Castle really being a “thing” in NJ is mostly urban legend. I’ve had White Castle once. 

i hope you were able to enjoy some of our better offerings! 

• Like 1

On 4/28/2023 at 12:09 PM, Margaret Pilgrim said:

DH stocks frozen WC sliders for instant ???, not gratification, certainly.    Microwaved bread is beyond me.   And the burger is super well-done, as opposed to done well.    But he's happy, I'm happy.

I buy those occasionally. They're not very good, but I keep buying them anyway.  Strange.

On 4/28/2023 at 2:09 PM, Margaret Pilgrim said:

DH stocks frozen WC sliders for instant ???, not gratification, certainly.    Microwaved bread is beyond me.   And the burger is super well-done, as opposed to done well.    But he's happy, I'm happy.

Microwaved bread is beyond me as well.  I don't know how much effort your husband wants to put into his sliders, but, steaming them gets pretty epic.  I actually prefer my steaming process to the ones I get at the restaurant.  

• Thanks 1

On 4/28/2023 at 2:09 PM, Margaret Pilgrim said:

I bought some of these the other day because I wanted to make some proper onion rings and not have to worry about making proper burgers at the same time for a weeknight meal.

It worked pretty well except that we had plates with a huge pile of onion rings with a couple of little sliders hidden somewhere beneath.

Microwaved bread works when you would normally have steamed bread.  Like a steamed hot dog bun (or a slider).  You just need to wrap the bread in a paper towel and give it a short burst.  Just gives it a little steam.  The paper towel keeps it from getting sweaty.

Edited by IndyRob (log)