• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

White Castle

fresh_a

I went to school in Columbus in the early '60s. Before there was Big Boy's and Jerry's there was White Castle, and a place called "2 'fers" where you got two "hamburgers" for something like 18 cents. Of course the secret to the 'burher baddle was thinning the meat with onions and oatmeal. Don't think my stomach could take that diet now, but then it was a great budget meal for college students.

Remember, when it comes to fast-food: "if it don't play in Columbus it won't play anywhere."

dave

So what's with this faker Krystal chain?

http://www.krystalco.com

They apparently also have TWO BITE hot dogs.

Apparently they even have MORE locations than WC if that can be believed... over 400 versus 340 odd for WC.

White Castle may be older (by 11 years), but Samuel L. Jackson did commercials for Krystal, which makes them infinitely cooler. Plus, they taste better. I'm not sure what the difference is - maybe it's that Krystals only have mustard, pickle, and the steamed onions, and White Castles have ketchup? (I could be wrong, it's been a few years since I've eaten non-frozen White Castles).

I treasure the moment we first took my husband to a Krystal. When my dad ordered 24 (standard amount for four people), my husband exclaimed in horror, "What, are we buying a round for the restaurant??"

Once he saw the burgers, he understood - and is seriously considering bringing his mom for a visit next time she comes over just for the same shock value. :laugh: He's also developed a mild addiction to Corn Pups (the 2-bite corn dog).

Krystals also used to do a more substantial breakfast (waffles made to order), and really excellent vanilla frosted donuts. They apparently don't have the donuts anymore - my mom keeps complaining about it.

"Tea and cake or death! Tea and cake or death! Little Red Cookbook! Little Red Cookbook!" --Eddie Izzard

• 1 year later...

So they're like onion rings, but made out of chicken? That actually sounds really good, but it would be better if one ring had both onion and chicken in it... now that would be progress.

Although hmm, fried meaty rings, maybe they are trying to prep the market for an eventual introduction of White Castle Calamari ;).

He don't mix meat and dairy,

He don't eat humble pie,

So sing a miserere

And hang the bastard high!

- Richard Wilbur and John LaTouche from Candide

it don't come in "nuggets" either.

Or as a previous fast food commercial noted, "tenders". :blink:

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

Or as a previous fast food commercial noted, "tenders". :blink:

well i suppose "tenders" could be that bit connected to the breast. but i doubt it in most cases. although i think they're often just thinly sliced breast meat, as opposed to the multi-ingredient rings, nuggets, and stuff like that. unless it's BK, then yeah, it's probably extruded or molded or something fancy. :shock:

What I find disturbing is how they get the chicken into the ring shape.  What are they actually doing to the meat?  We all know that chicken doesn't come with rings.  :shock:

They do it the same way that Burger King makes its "onion" rings.

Probably with the same machinery.

I'd like to know who makes that machinery, sounds like a stock to watch. :hmmm:

Thank God for tea! What would the world do without tea? How did it exist? I am glad I was not born before tea!

- Sydney Smith, English clergyman & essayist, 1771-1845

I'm with Tommy-I am huge fan of W.C's onion rings. Big juicy rings of onion in a crunchy not too greasy coating. But some stores are serving the crappy onion mush variety. I hope it is not a portend of things to come. There is just something wrong by going to WC and eating chicken and not the burgers. Won't eat any chicken finger, nugget or ring. Too much grease and fat without the yum factor-gotta go for the burger.

What disease did cured ham actually have?

Megan sandwich: White bread, Miracle Whip and Italian submarine dressing. {Megan is 4 y.o.}

Hey, let's not knock the chicken rings without tasting them, ok? There's nothing that hits the spot at 3 in the morning after sitting in a packed drive through in EO then a Sack of Chicken Rings with a Sack(or two) of Cheeseburgers. You wouldn't believe how many people are at the WC at that time of day(errr night....morning?)

--brian

Yield to Temptation, It may never come your way again.

--Lazarus Long