• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

"Small Plates" article in Washingtonian

JPW

So there I was this morning at Oh-dark-thirty sucking down a cup of coffee hoping to get up and out without waking Peanut. It was about 1.5 hours before the Post typically arrives, so I needed something to read (at that hour nothing is on TV execept for the replay of Lou Dobbs on CNN). I picked-up our local gossip and houses-you'll-never-be-able-to-afford rag - Washingtonian.

There was an article on the DC explosion of "small plates" places. And whom, you might ask, did they give credit to for being the Neil Armstrong of small plates?

Our very own John W. for his work at Topaz.

Nice PR!

PS - JUptown, they mentioned one of your faves, Bardeo, so you better get used to the crowds.

PPS - After meeting with my team and starting off our work this morning I logged on (still about 2 hours before sane people go to work) and who else was here but Rock-sy Music. Dude, do you ever sleep? :blink:

If someone writes a book about restaurants and nobody reads it, will it produce a 10 page thread?

Joe W

I'm fairly certain Jaleo was around far before "small plates/blue drinks" was a mantra.

Hopefully someone I know will have this issue of the aforementioned fine publication as I can't seem to locate money to pay for it.

Firefly Restaurant

Washington, DC

Not the body of a man from earth, not the face of the one you love

I'm fairly certain Jaleo was around far before "small plates/blue drinks" was a mantra.

Mrs JPW brought up the exact same point (Peanut did after all wake up).

I guess that they were disqualifying tapas bars, I can't recall whether they even listed Jaleo in the index of restaurants that they covered.

Hopefully someone I know will have this issue of the aforementioned fine publication as I can't seem to locate money to pay for it.

Perhaps one of the group of ruffians headed your way tonight will bring a copy along.

Damn, I have to get a job in the city so I can blow Peanut's college fund on eGullet Bacchanalia!

If someone writes a book about restaurants and nobody reads it, will it produce a 10 page thread?

Joe W

- After meeting with my team and starting off our work this morning I logged on (still about 2 hours before sane people go to work) and who else was here but Rock-sy Music. Dude, do you ever sleep? :blink:

He would have to exist in order to sleep :wink:

Wait a few months and all Peanut will be eating are small plates.

True Heroism is remarkably sober, very undramatic.

It is not the urge to surpass all others at whatever cost,

but the urge to serve others at whatever cost. -Arthur Ashe