• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Indian Vegetable: Bitter Gourd

chile_peppa

The BF received a bag of these green vegetables from one of his customers, a woman from India who grows them in her backyard. He said she told him they were good for diabetes, and they should be cooked with tomatoes. Does anyone have more instructions on how to cook these?

Thanks for your help!

"It is a fact that he once made a tray of spanakopita using Pam rather than melted butter. Still, though, at least he tries." -- David Sedaris

Cut bittergourd into 1/8" round slices, season it with salt and chilli powder or pepper and either dry it in sun or bake (on low/warm) in oven until dry and crisp. Store in airtight container, lasts for months.

Deep fry and serve. My hubby likes it as is if baked in oven :rolleyes:

You can soak it in curds or buttermilk for a few hours or overnite before the drying process to remove bitterness.

- Shanta

Edited by shanta (log)

Thank you for all your suggestions. I ended up sauteing the sliced bitter gourd in oil with a bit of onion and diced potato. I seasoned it with red chile flakes, cumin, and turmeric and served it with white rice. The potato and rice seemed to balance the bitterness to a degree.

One strange thing -- when I opened the largest bitter gourd, it had bright pinkish-red seeds instead of the white seeds I found in the others. Does anyone know why?

"It is a fact that he once made a tray of spanakopita using Pam rather than melted butter. Still, though, at least he tries." -- David Sedaris

One strange thing -- when I opened the largest bitter gourd, it had bright pinkish-red seeds instead of the white seeds I found in the others. Does anyone know why?

When bitter gourds are young the seeds are white. When they are ripe the seeds change color to red.

Ammini

Ammini Ramachandran

www.Peppertrail.com

Thank you, Ammini. I thought that might be the case, but I wasn't sure. I think that could also explain why the small bitter gourds were especially bitter!

p.s. What an interesting web site you have!