• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Beacon Bar and Grill

iamthestretch

This is probably needlessly pissy, but I'm flipping through the City Paper tonight and, sandwiched between the offers of Research Opportunities for Cocaine Users and the chance to spend time with a 36EEE All Natural Italian Beauty, is an ad for "what will become Dupont Circle's and Downtown's coolest hangout!" Preview open was tonight, apparently. I missed it. I am not so cool.

Anyway, they claim to offer:

Awesome cuisine (Maybe. "Fine" would probably suffice, though.)

Great martini's (sic) (Sigh.)

Leisure brunch (Because you're so tired of those rushed ones before dashing off to work on Sunday.)

Smooching booths (Dude, other people are trying to eat. Get a room.)

Great wine selections (Actually, that sounds OK. You better not be lying, though.)

It's at 17th and Rhode Island, anyway, I guess in that hotel they've been renovating across from the Y. Someone hip should check it out. Because, and you read it in 26-point type: "We Simply Could Not Wait Any Longer!" (Boy, is that review going to write itself if they can't sling it fast enough.) Fin.

"Mine goes off like a rocket." -- Tom Sietsema, Washington Post, Feb. 16.

Judging from the press release I found off Google, yes - the other branches might be named something else, but the release sure makes it sound like concept-in-a-box. And the spelling isn't any better in the release - "hob-knob"? Phooey.

"Tea and cake or death! Tea and cake or death! Little Red Cookbook! Little Red Cookbook!" --Eddie Izzard

As part of the transformation, there will be a total of 10,000 square feet of banquet and meeting space, a rooftop penthouse and terrace perfect for board meetings and intimate social events, as well as an innovative restaurant, BB&G (Beacon Bar & Grill)-a fusion of four separate and distinctive dining experiences.

Oh good, I was worried that perhaps there would not be enough dining experiances to fuse. Nothing says 'yum' like Traditional Alsatian, Thai-inspired, Afro-Cuban-inflected, Nouvelle-Basque cuisine.

Matt Robinson

Prep for dinner service, prep for life! A Blog

17th Street you say, I count four too many of the fairer sex for this to fly.

Jarad C. Slipp, One third of ???

He was a sweet and tender hooligan and he swore that he'd never, never do it again. And of course he won't (not until the next time.) -Stephen Patrick Morrissey