• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Advice sought: parents coming to town

The Doctor

Hello all. I've been debating starting this thread for a few days, since there seem to already be a number of "help me out" subjects on the board. But I realized I have some questions that won't pop up elsewhere, so I thought I'd go ahead.

My folks are coming to visit Columbus Day weekend and we'll be most likely to have a meal out every day they're here (Fri, Sat, Sun, Mon). I have a few faves around town (Cashion's, DC Coast, Tosca) that are floating around my mind, but this brings me to the real reason behind my posting: we'll be dining out for four straight days and can't afford to drop $150+ per meal for the three of us every day.

I can tell you what I'm thinking right now. We're almost certain to hit the Old Ebbitt Grill. We dig the oyster bar and the decor. The service is usually very attentive and this kind of price point is easy on the wallet (entrees in high teens).

After some diligent thread reading here I'm also eyeing Ray's The Steaks and Pesce, neither of which I've been to. Probably more likely the latter because they dig the seafood.

I wouldn't be opposed to trying the front room at Palena, but I am concerned about hassle. I've never been so I don't know what to expect. I mean, is it easy to go in there and get a table, or is going in there with the intention of eating in a front booth not a common pratice and only attempted by eGulleteers in the know?

So I'm looking for recommendations that won't break the bank. Location is not a problem. Anything in the city is fine, and I'd even be happy to spend some time around Old Town Alexandria. Seafood recommendations would be nice, but if you kind folks wholeheartedly agree Pesce will meet my needs, I'd like to give that a go.

I guess I'll post more thoughts/questions as I think of them or if/when replies come in. Thanks for your attention!

I have been thinking about starting a similar thread - my parents are visiting that same weekend in advance of my birthday!

Regarding your questions, if your family enjoys meat and doesn't need fancy surroundings, Ray's the Steaks is a great value. Make your reservation now.

Palena has never been a hassle for me in terms of seating (thus far). On a weekend, though, you'd want to go early. How many people are in your party?

Other inexpensive, enjoyable eats include Kuna (Istrian/Italian), Jaleo (although my last experience was less than perfect), Little Fountain Cafe, Zaytinya, Sette, Lebanese Taverna, Bardeo, Spices...

Now where should I go??

Family group of eight or nine adults. My parents aren't into ethnic food beyond Italian, I'm afraid. Nothing "crazy" for them like Vietnamese (a war, not a cuisine, to them), Ethiopian ('that place with the famine?') or...well, anything.

They like Cafe Milano, loved Beduci (RIP), enjoy the steak chains. Help.

Edited by JennyUptown (log)

Ok, I think our requests are compatible. It will just be the three of us, but your "entourage" isn't too outrageous a number.

I think they have the same ethnic opinions, too. Spices (or Cafe Asia) miiiight work. Bardeo is something I hadn't thought of. Zaytinya might be too extreme. Sette is something I'd considered, but if we're doing something along those lines, I HAVE to make sure I showcase the miniburgers with onion straws at Matchbox.

See, Doc...you are luckier than me. For my family, Spices wouldn't fly. They think they don't like Asian of any sort. Bardeo would confound them because of the small plates. Zaytinya? Um, how about never. Sette is nice, but w/o reservations, I would be too stressed out. Plus it's too "I go there everyday" for my birthday.

See, Doc...you are luckier than me.  For my family, Spices wouldn't fly.  They think they don't like Asian of any sort.  Bardeo would confound them because of the small plates.  Zaytinya?  Um, how about never.  Sette is nice, but w/o reservations, I would be too stressed out.  Plus it's too "I go there everyday" for my birthday.

I could pull a Spices because it's pan asian, and I'm sure they'd find something on the menu. The parents are very slowly coming around after about a dozen rounds of "you'll like this" "no we won't" "but remember you liked that last thing you said you wouldn't like but I said you would."

Your concerns on Sette are also similar to mine on Palena. The last thing you need is the family standing around like bumpkins while you try to finagle a difficult arrangement at an unfamiliar eatery.

Little Fountain Cafe might fit the bill too, I'll ponder it.

Assorted in-law relatives were in town last week. We had great welcomes, food, service, comfort and success. Friday night in the front room of Palena. Saturday at Restaurant Eve in Old Town, Sunday brunch after Dupont market at Bistrot du Coin, Sunday dinner at Jaleo.

I took a friend's elderly, rural, meat&potatoes grandmother to Meskereem once, over her initial objections, and she loved it. We just made sure to order the chicken & egg dish for her, which she recognized, and therefore liked.

This thread reminds me of the trouble I had picking a place to go for dinner when my mom came to help my sister move, and this was during Restaurant Week, of all times! Should have been simple, but was actually quite stressful!

Matt Robinson

Prep for dinner service, prep for life! A Blog

How about Colorado Kitchen for either brunch or dinner? Homemade donuts or burgers should please ethnic-phobes.

Ah yes, the thought had crossed my mind. Friends and I are planning our first visit very soon, maybe soon enough to do some reconnaisance for the parental visit. The price is certainly right and the menu tasty enough from the accounts I've heard here.

I had kind of written it off (for the parents) earlier based on intution. The aforementioned friends and I made a trek up there a few weeks ago only to find it closed for a two week vacation. It is a little off our usual stomping grounds and I'd prefer not to worry about whether or not the service will be slow.

How about Firefly? My parents enjoyed it when we took them during a visit last year.

And they love Tosca, where we've taken them several times.

They've also enjoyed Ardeo and Lavandou, though I haven't been to either of these two for quite a while, so perhaps someone else could give you more recent feedback.

Palena Cafe would be a great choice, too. If you don't mind going early, between 5:30 and 6 pm, you most likely won't have to wait for a table.

After some diligent thread reading here I'm also eyeing Ray's The Steaks and Pesce, neither of which I've been to. Probably more likely the latter because they dig the seafood.

Ray's is awesome and, as Jenny said - agood value, but it is still a steakhouse and isn't a really cheap option.

I like Johnny's Half Shell for casual seafood myself.

And what about one of the other pizza places like 2 Amys or Paradiso?

Bill Russell

Paradiso is a definite possibility. But where are the minibugers?? :biggrin:

I read both the thread on Johnny's and Pesce and afterwards I kinda leaned towards pesce. It seemed like most of the Johnny's thread was a support group for people who mostly liked it but knew it wasn't perfect.

And for Ray's good value can be the deciding factor. The bang/buck ratio is very attractive, since we're used to throwing out $30 for just the meat itself. We'll definitely splurge on one meal or possibly two, we'd just not like to come away after four days and say "holy cow, we dropped $600 in 96 hours on food alone."

My parents absolutely LOVED Zaytinya when they were up a few weeks ago. Granted, they're fans of traditional Greek food, but they really got into the small plates/getting to try a bunch of dishes concept, and they chose and enjoyed quite a few things I wouldn't necessarily have thought they'd like. My dad's usually not all that vocal about preferences one way or the other, but his comment as we were leaving was "we *have* to come here again."

They also liked 2941, but that might be a little far to travel from downtown.

"Tea and cake or death! Tea and cake or death! Little Red Cookbook! Little Red Cookbook!" --Eddie Izzard

if french isn't too ethnic (isnt it perplexing that ethnic food always seems to refer to certain places yet all food is, in some manner, ethnic in a way. its always confused me) i would recommend bistro d'oc downtown, 10th and f, around the corner from tosca. its concrete-solid french food, with enough variety to please meat and two veg types as well as delicious odds and ends such as feet, liver and the like. and entrees dont top 20 dp's.

there is no love sincerer than the love of food

- george bernard shaw

i feel like love is in the kitchen with a culinary eye, think she's making something special and i'm smart enough to try

- interpol

Colorado Kitchen is a great idea as long as the neighborhood won't freak out your parents. If they are not used to the different aspects of city life then it's not a great choice.

If you go to Palena (they are closed Sunday) early enough (between 6:30-7) seating won't be a problem. Derek is great with parents, especially when they embarass the crap out of you.

Matchbox is the place with the amazing miniburgers and pizza. Again, go early or be prepared to wait and the bar isn't that parent friendly. But the miniburgers are excellent. I could go for some right now.

Jenny, what about some of the oldies but fairly goodies like I Ricci, Galileo, others I am too tired to think of. Sure eG'ers wouldn't go there but might be right up your parent's alley. Or Tratoria Lilliana just up the street? Although I have heard that it has gone down hill in the last few months Buck's might work for you.

I'd also throw Ardeo and/or Bardeo into the mix. I think they get overlooked a bit around here.

True Heroism is remarkably sober, very undramatic.

It is not the urge to surpass all others at whatever cost,

but the urge to serve others at whatever cost. -Arthur Ashe

My dad is unadventurous but my mom is up for anything. Makes for frustrating attempts to show off the great restaurants in DC. I've taken them for good meals at Firefly and if you are interested in Old Town, they really enjoyed the Majestic Cafe. For two New Yorkers, the southern flare seemed so different.

My big trick with my parents if I'm unsure what their reaction will be to a place is to have lunch there. For some reason, they expect less from lunch and if they don't like it they know they still have dinner to look forward to!

I meant to also suggest 15 ria to both of you. I've brought several 6-10 people groups there and they were very accomodating. I really enjoy the food (especially some of their specials) and it shouldn't be scary to your crowds.

if french isn't too ethnic (isnt it perplexing that ethnic food always seems to refer to certain places yet all food is, in some manner, ethnic in a way. its always confused me) i would recommend bistro d'oc downtown, 10th and f, around the corner from tosca. its concrete-solid french food, with enough variety to please meat and two veg types as well as delicious odds and ends such as feet, liver and the like. and entrees dont top 20 dp's.

We've gone to i Ricchi quite a few times - I think my mother is sick of it (and she thinks it's overpriced too).

As for CK, my parents would not thank me for taking them into a...uh, "transitional" neighborhood. Which is a shame, I realize.

Well, I just read the Palena thread from start to finish and I've almost certainly locked it in as a definite pick. Most likely Friday evening since the parents'll get here in the afternoon and we won't be out sightseeing, so there won't be worries about getting back in time. When it gets closer I'll bring it up again with maybe some timing/etiquette questions. For example, is there a host/ess in the cafe section who'll seat you? And even if all the tables would be full, would we be able to put our name on a list? I don't mind waiting, especially if it provides the chance to sample this Derrick fellow's sidecar.

Re: Matchbox, I've been several times so I feel comfortable enough with the place to wait there. It's also possible we'd lunch there and maybe get some carryout later in one of the evenings. (Rockland's, perhaps...)

Jenny, how are your people on seafood? My parents were satisfied enough their first time with McCormick and Schmick's that they made a repeat visit. It's a chain I realize but you wouldn't have to worry about any concerns unique to some local places. The routine there is pretty, well, routine.

Jenny, how are your people on seafood? My parents were satisfied enough their first time with McCormick and Schmick's that they made a repeat visit. It's a chain I realize but you wouldn't have to worry about any concerns unique to some local places. The routine there is pretty, well, routine.

They love seafood, however I do not. Given that it's my freakin' birthday, there shall be no dining at seafood-focused establishments!!!

I'd say that they get no say in the matter, but it's readily apparent that they do.

:raz:

They love seafood, however I do not.  Given that it's my freakin' birthday, there shall be no dining at seafood-focused establishments!!!

I'd say that they get no say in the matter, but it's readily apparent that they do.

:raz:

Oh, well I can't help someone who doesn't want to be helped. How does it feel to be wrong about seafood? :biggrin:

doc - i was at pesce last weekend and found it to be very good - fish was very fresh. just have to realize they cook some of the fish bone-in, so it takes some effort for those uncomfortable with non-fileted fish. the problem is no reservations.

jenny - how about Chef Geoff's for the non-ethnic leaning parents?

I had dinner at the New Mexico Ave. location and if you order carefully it isn't too bad.

I started with their fried green tomatoes which were great even if they were already pink. My dad had their calamary which was just plain old bad. Rubbery, strange flavor. Yuck.

For the entre I had a new your strip. I asked for it medium but it was closer to the rare/medium rare side. But it was still delish. The mound of mashed potatoes it was served on were supposed to have blue cheese in them. I didn't taste it.

But for unadventerous parents this might work for you Jenny. The outdoor seating is nice, the price point sounds like it is in your range and it's not too far from your apartment.

True Heroism is remarkably sober, very undramatic.

It is not the urge to surpass all others at whatever cost,

but the urge to serve others at whatever cost. -Arthur Ashe