• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Artisanal Knockoffs

Given the discussion on "white balsamic vinegar", are there knockoff artisanal products that you like? Infuriate you? Are ok?

John Sconzo, M.D. aka "docsconz"

"Remember that a very good sardine is always preferable to a not that good lobster."

- Ferran Adria on eGullet 12/16/2004.

Docsconz - Musings on Food and Life

Slow Food Saratoga Region - Co-Founder

Twitter - @docsconz

I'm a bit of a purist, especially when I find something I like ... and even more so when it is made by someone I know. Meeting the individuals and families who devote themselves to a product makes you really appreciate what you are eating. Seeing the (this is an over used word, but so appropriate) passion someone has for making a single product is so impressive. We americans think we have to be able to do everything. How many people do you know who do one thing Really Well?

As far as the knock-offs, as long as we are clear on what something is, it has it's place. Supermarket balsamic vinegar has its place on the shelf. But, seriously, it can be used just like any other wine vinegar. I don't use it as a condiment the way I use traditional. It is just unfortunate that the name is so similar to the traditional artisanal product.... it is misleading to the uninformed.

Fury I save for other issues.

Edited by pamela in tuscany (log)

Pamela Sheldon Johns

Italian Food Artisans

www.FoodArtisans.com

I'm a bit of a purist, especially when I find something I like ... and even more so when it is made by someone I know. Meeting the individuals and families who devote themselves to a product makes you really appreciate what you are eating. Seeing the (this is an over used word, but so appropriate) passion someone has for making a single product is so impressive. We americans think we have to be able to do everything. How many people do you know who do one thing Really Well?

As far as the knock-offs, as long as we are clear on what something is, it has it's place. Supermarket balsamic vinegar has its place on the shelf. But, seriously, it can be used just like any other wine vinegar. I don't use it as a condiment the way I use traditional. It is just unfortunate that the name is so similar to the traditional artisanal product.... it is misleading to the uninformed.

Fury I save for other issues.

The problem I have with knockoffs, in general, if they are of lesser quality is that they can give the real thing a bad rap. I know when I first really tasted aceto balsamico tradizionale di Modena last year it was a revelation and really nothing like the supermarket plonk. The 100y/o stuff at Acetaia del Cristo was absolutely divine.

"Remember that a very good sardine is always preferable to a not that good lobster."

Twitter - @docsconz

The 100y/o stuff at Acetaia del Cristo was absolutely divine.

OK, now I think you are showing off a bit! Erika doesn't just let everyone taste the extra-extra-extra old stuff!

acetaia del cristo

Edited by pamela in tuscany (log)

Pamela Sheldon Johns

Italian Food Artisans

www.FoodArtisans.com

OK, now I think you are showing off a bit! Erika doesn't just let everyone taste the extra-extra-extra old stuff!

acetaia del cristo

:biggrin:

Twitter - @docsconz