• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Crayfish with white worms?

balex

I bought some live freshwater crayfish and after parboiling them about half have long white threads -- which I guess are some sort of parasitic worm inside -- they have up to a dozen and they are several inches long in the head and down the intestinal tract. Should I throw everything away? Ok for soup? or just pick them out, and serve the crayfish? Or eat the worms? Help!

Edited by balex (log)

Blech....

When in doubt, throw it out!

I don't know if I would want to eat them!

PLUS, I would return them and show the purveyor what you found!

Edited by Carolyn Tillie (log)

Go get your money back. I have never seen worms in crawfish. Ever.

Do you know what the original source was. This is not crawfish season here at all. I would be interested to know if they were imported from Europe or China.

Remember, you should always strive to buy Louisiana Crawfish. :wink:

Brooks Hamaker, aka "Mayhaw Man"

There's a train everyday, leaving either way...

Do. Not. Eat. These.

(But if you have time, go to the biology department of the nearest college, and ask a professor there what you have, and where it came from! Someone in the Health Department or agricultural exchange may also be able to help).

Hard to know what temperature destroys the helminth aggs...........and the meat will be riddled with these foreign bodies.

Truly scary.

I'm a canning clean freak because there's no sorry large enough to cover the, "Oops! I gave you botulism" regrets.

They are in the bin.

They are local I assume -- (I am in England) and they were pretty frisky so they weren't ill.

I'll ask about them next time I go to the shop which is generally pretty reliable.

My own fault for not living in Louisiana,

Thanks

Here in the PNW I used to catch my crayfish in the Wilson river and I remember those worms! Bleeecccchh.

They weren't a regular occurance but we'd toss them out.

Return 'em and get yer money back!

Shelley: Would you like some pie?

Gordon: MASSIVE, MASSIVE QUANTITIES AND A GLASS OF WATER, SWEETHEART. MY SOCKS ARE ON FIRE.

Twin Peaks

We've got plenty of room. Low cost of living, good weather (albeit hot) and great food. You could do worse. :wink:

They are in the bin.

My own fault for not living in Louisiana,

Thanks

Brooks Hamaker, aka "Mayhaw Man"

There's a train everyday, leaving either way...

Yep used to drive From South to Northern Louisiana and back on the old roads before they build the big 4 lane highway. It was always great stopping in the little towns for crawfish. I used to drive like a nut from Dallas to get to Tunks in Alexandria before they closed. Stop for the night and then drive calm and collected to Lake Charles.

Never trust a skinny chef