• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Vermont

roverinexile

Have to strongly disagree with the Rouques suggestion. 4 of us ate there over Xmas and had a very mediocre meal. The margaritas lacked tequila, the salsa lacked spice, the chips were greasy, the guacamole was blender-blah, all entrees were Chi-Chi's-esque---the only good thing we had was some decent pork on the nachos. And by the way, we only got nachos because of a major lack of interesting apps--cheese fundido, quesadillas, nachos...blah.

Single Pebble, Smokejack's, Kitchen Table, Cafe Shelburne--these are better bets.

I have to admit that my last (and probably final) trip to Rouques left a lot to be desired. I was really pulling for them and but I've got to agree with sara and take back my recomendation. Too bad though, it had a lot of promise. I guess now we'll have to wait until Miguel's opens up on the Marketplace, but that's a real long shot as well.

Single Pebble and Smokejacks still top the list.

"An idealist is one who, on noticing that a rose smells better than a cabbage, concludes that it will also make better soup." - H. L. Mencken

I tried Rogues and was pleased. By far the best mexican in Vermont (not saying much since all we have in Burlington area is Tortilla Flats). Although itm is not in the class with some others, like Cempazuchi of Milwaukee (which I learned of from other gulleteers) still we had an excellent meal. I would try it again and I recommend that you should too. However I have tried Smokejacks three times and just not impressed.

• 2 weeks later...

I will be in the Ludlow area next week for a much anticipated week end of skiing. Has anyone been to Harry's Cafe in Mount Holly? It was recommended to my wife and I by regulars of the place. I have a reservation for Sat. What style of food do they prepare? Is it worth the visit?

Thanks...

"A chicken is just an egg's way of making another egg." Samuel Butler

• 2 months later...

Hello! I need a suggestion for a nice dinner in Burlington. I'd prefer a good wine list and a younger clientelle (ie, anything labeled "continental cuisine" is out)....

I would love your suggestions.

So far I've found by searching outside the site: L'Amante and Opaline. Thoughts?

thanks for your help!

Hello! I need a suggestion for a nice dinner in Burlington. I'd prefer a good wine list and a younger clientelle (ie, anything labeled "continental cuisine" is out)....

So far I've found by searching outside the site: L'Amante and Opaline. Thoughts?

thanks for your help!

Smokejacks, which has been mentioned by many here before, is a great choice. Nice wine and cheese selections, food is very good, and the atmosphere is probably more in line with what you're looking for - up to date, modern. Plus, it is right downtown on the corner of Church and Main - so you can take a nice walk before and/or after dinner up church st. or down to the waterfront.

Don't know anything about L'Amante or Opaline.

thanks for your help!

Opaline is a very small, very intimate French restaurant with an art gallery in its basement. The food is excellent and the wine list interesting. It is a little difficult to find as it is located down a rather deserted looking alley.

If you are looking for a younger crowd, I would suggest L'Amante. Try the fried squash blossoms with Tuscan honey and truffle oil. You will thank me.

I strongly recommend Opaline, definitely the nicest place for dinner in Burlington if you like intimate settings.

I also like Trattoria Delia on St. Paul. Italian (guess that's obvious) and good wines.

Margo Thompson

Allentown, PA

You're my little potato, you're my little potato,

You're my little potato, they dug you up!

You come from underground!

-Malcolm Dalglish

• 2 years later...

TJ Buckley's sems to get the nod, at least from 2006 reviews I found. Pricey and small, it is in a nicely furnished diner. Someone (below) preferred the Four Columns Inn in Newfane (10 miles north on 30) over it. http://www.fourcolumnsinn.com/

Then there's Big Bob's Full Belly Deli......

This guys blog has a nice review of both, with pictures of their experience, and a reminder that TJ Buckley's is CASH ONLY and highly suggests reservations. Four Colomns review is linked, on the same page, under "previously chomped". http://bostonchomps.blogspot.com/2006/06/t...r-in-diner.html

Edited by Scargo (log)

Banished from Chowhound; I like it just fine on eGullet!

If you`re not big enough to lose, you`re not big enough to win! Try this jalapeno, son. It ain't hot...