• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Vermont

roverinexile

I've heard nothing but good things about the Black Sheep Bistro in Vergennes. Haven't eaten there myself. Probably a good idea to make reservations during leaf-peeper season.

Margo Thompson

Allentown, PA

You're my little potato, you're my little potato,

You're my little potato, they dug you up!

You come from underground!

-Malcolm Dalglish

Back when I lived in Burlington ('80s), we used to drive to Bristol on Fall Weekend mornings to eat at Mary's for brunch. I went scouting and found Mary's at Baldwin Creek which seems to be of similar menu from back then, and mentions a cookbook for sale with 20yrs of recipes, so Mary's has obviously expanded (it is a B&B now as well).

I remember amazing creations using fresh, up-to-the-minute ingredients (forest chanterelles eg) and dishes that reflected the pasture and woodsy nature of the area around this tiny Vermont village. It was a long way to Bristol from Burlington, but a perfect leaf-peeping drive that stirred the appetite. Well worth a visit.

Their website includes a menu item called "Kitchen Confidential" which is two entrees in the event a diner can't decide...

"I took the habit of asking Pierre to bring me whatever looks good today and he would bring out the most wonderful things," - bleudauvergne

foodblogs: Dining Downeast I - Dining Downeast II

Portland Food Map.com

It's kind of (sort of) close to Burlington.  South of it but north of Pittsford.

Actually, Brandon is well over an hour from Burlington. It's about equidistant between Rutland and Middlebury. Interesting to hear that a potentially decent place has opened up in Brandon since, historically, the Route 7 corridor from Rutland to Burlington is a culinary wasteland. I can't think of much to recommend unless you travel well off the main drag. Mary's, mentioned by JohnnyD, shouldn't be that far out of the way...maybe 40 minutes?

The foliage is looking pretty spectacular this year, and you've picked a good weekend to see it.

I've heard nothing but good things about the Black Sheep Bistro in Vergennes. Haven't eaten there myself. Probably a good idea to make reservations during leaf-peeper season.

As a college student I don't usually eat out, but I did make it to Black Sheep Bistro a couple weeks ago (for the second time; the first was last spring). The food was excellent, as I had remebered from last year. I had a lobster ravioli appetizer both times, and it's incredible! If I remember correctly, all appetizers are $5 and all entrees are $16. I thought it was a really good value, considering that the portions are pretty big (especially the entrees) and the quality of the food. Each table also gets a side of garlic mashed potatoes and a cone of French Fries with various dipping sauces. The waitstaff couldn't have been nicer, either. I definitely recommend reservations well ahead of time.

Hard to say how far it is from Brandon; it's about 15 minutes from Middlebury, so probably around 45 minutes from Brandon to Vergennes?

Edited by Papaya (log)

Black Sheep Bistro is very good and they have excellent fries (or so my wife tells me - I don't like fries at all). Also in Vergennes is Christophe's which is excellent but a little pricey (for Vermont, cheap for NYC). But correctly Vergennes is 45 minutes from Brandon and north about 10 minutes more is Rolands. Middlebury had a good restaurant, Swift House but it has degraded alot over the last decade. Over the Brandon Gap and up Rt 100 would be Warren (probably a good 45 minutes) and I would recommend the Pitcher Inn. But the thread was for restaurants in Brandon.

Actually, Brandon is well over an hour from Burlington. It's about equidistant between Rutland and Middlebury.

The foliage is looking pretty spectacular this year, and you've picked a good weekend to see it.

Whoops. My bad. don't know what I was thinking.

So that's like 40 minutes from Danby?

Come to Emma's for dinner! :wink:

• 2 weeks later...

Black Sheep in Vergennes

Eat Good Food in Vergennes

Mist Grill in Waterbury

Chef's Table in Richmond

Blue Seal also in Richmond

Single Pebble in Burlington

Rouques in Burlington

All very good, all worth checking out if you get a chance.

"An idealist is one who, on noticing that a rose smells better than a cabbage, concludes that it will also make better soup." - H. L. Mencken

Rouques in Burlington

Tell me about this one. I don't know it. Thanks!

Margo Thompson

Allentown, PA

You're my little potato, you're my little potato,

You're my little potato, they dug you up!

You come from underground!

-Malcolm Dalglish

Speaking on the north central section (Mad River Valley - Waitsfield/Warren)

Pitcher Inn - previously mentioned in this line - a great Relais & Chateaux property - say hello to Ari who heads up the dining room

Big World Pub - doesn't look like much from the outside - but boy can they cook inside - try the 'dog bones'

American Flatbread - yummm - enough said!

The Spotted Cow - small upscale diner

The Den - great locals spot - killer burgers - say hello to John and Bobby - two brothers who own the spot

The Common Man - after the Pitcher Inn - the next upscale spot in the area

The Millcroft Inn - on hwy 17 - outstanding food with Indian twists - always good - nice wine list

a couple of other spots - not sure of recent reviews but when we lived there they were on the favorites list.

Marys - mentioned earlier at Baldwin Creek - fabulous

Marsala Salsa in Waterbury - some of the hottest vindaloo ever - so good with a Vermont microbrew.

Thrush Tavern in Montpelier - good burgers and soups

wow - now I am hungry and living over 3000 miles from Vermont, but really needing a Vermont fix - envy all of you living so close!!

• 2 weeks later...
Rouques in Burlington

Tell me about this one. I don't know it. Thanks!

It's on the Burlington waterfront at the base of Main St. (where Mona's was located). When you walk in there is a window into the kitchen and you can watch a cook making fresh corn tortillas. That is a really good indication as to what kind of quality we are talking about.

The menu fancy's itself a 'regional' Mexican one, and you'll find plenty of delicious traditional options. The guacamole is one exceptional stand out, and I highly recommend it. And IMHO it's as close to 'authentic' Mexican as we've ever seen in Burlington. If it can stand up to the test of time it will become second only to Single Pebble, for recomended reservations in town.

"An idealist is one who, on noticing that a rose smells better than a cabbage, concludes that it will also make better soup." - H. L. Mencken

Black Sheep in Vergennes

Eat Good Food in Vergennes

Mist Grill in Waterbury

Chef's Table in Richmond

Blue Seal also in Richmond

Single Pebble in Burlington

Rouques in Burlington

All very good, all worth checking out if you get a chance.

Chef's Table. Do you mean the Kitchen Table Bistro in Richmond? If so, I heartily second the recommendation. Read more here and here.

Liam

Eat it, eat it

If it's gettin' cold, reheat it

Have a big dinner, have a light snack

If you don't like it, you can't send it back

Just eat it -- Weird Al Yankovic

Going to Norwich, Vermont (near White River Junction, VT and Hanover, NH) next weekend for a class at King Arthur Flour. I need eGulleters to help me on where to eat, both in Vermont and on the way there from Buffalo by way of Bennington and Brattleboro. Also any interesting food purveyors, farms.. anywhere you've visited and enjoyed.

This is my first post so I have great expectations :biggrin:

If more of us valued food & cheer & song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world. - J.R.R. Tolkien

Going to Norwich, Vermont (near White River Junction, VT and Hanover, NH) next weekend for a class at King Arthur Flour. I need eGulleters to help me on where to eat, both in Vermont and on the way there from Buffalo by way of Bennington and Brattleboro. Also any interesting food purveyors, farms.. anywhere you've visited and enjoyed.

The obvious restaurant choice would be Carpenter and Main, at the corner of Carpenter & Main Sts. in Norwich center.

If you have time, get over to Woodstock (about 15 miles west on US 4 from WRJ) and explore the Billings Farm & Museum, and all the shops (esp. the large general store) and restaurants there. This time of year you'll avoid the leaf peepers and the ski crowd.

Bob

if you are going to be around for dinner, i would recommend simon pearce restaurant in quechee, vt. try to get a table overlooking the water. a great view accompanying good food. for really top food but a bit more expensive, i would recommend home hill restaurant a little way out of west lebanon,n.h.-on the way to plainfield, n.h.. this is a relais and chateau establishment and wonderful place to enjoy a truly great meal. btw, while you are in norwich go into the general store"dan and whit's". you can get most everything there from snow boots, zippers, raspberry bushes, earthenware crocks, etc. the store is old and hasn't been upgraded to look slick and shiny, just full of what one would need at anytime!

have fun at king arthur

Thanks to rbailin for telling me about Carpenter and Main in Norwich; had a great dinner there on Saturday night. I shared an appetizer of lentils and duck sausage and then had a beet checkerboard: red, white and golden beets that looked and tasted beautiful with beet vinaigrette and a tablespoon-sized scoop of whipped goat cheese. Dessert was conrmeal cake with chocolate pudding and a chocolate crisp on top; the flavors were intense, the textures worked in harmonizing contrast and the portion was perfect

Thanks to alienor for the mention of Simon Pearce in Quechee; for lunch I had crab and cod cakes in red pepper coulis with hot and sour salad. The shaved fennel in the salad was set off by the sour in the dressing ... mmmmm . And since my reason for being in Vermont was to take a classs at King Arthur Flour I especially enjoyed the Ballymolae Brown Bread and the Irish Soda Bread scones.

Report on what else I found: The restaurant at Quechee Inn at Marshland Farm gave me a wonderul dinner on Friday night. (1) Baby spinach salad with spiced nuts, sliced granny smith apple and golden raisins and (2) grilled scallops with I forget the preparation and only remember that it was delicious. For dessert I moaned over pumpkin bread pudding ; early American comfort food which mateched my surroundings and needs after a 7 hour car ride. If you are near there, go there .

And I met a fellow eGulleter at King Arthur who recognized me from my earlier post.!

If more of us valued food & cheer & song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world. - J.R.R. Tolkien

Just wanted to mention that this week's Seven Days newspaper is the "food issue", with some interesting notes on the restaurant scenes all over Vermont, an article about Jasper Hill Farms cheese, and more. Worth picking up a copy and browsing through - hey, it's free!

• 1 month later...
Ther's a new restaurant in Brandon called Cafe Provence. Owned by Chef Barral, one of the founders of the New England Culinary Institute. I haven't been there yet but I trust Barral.

Robert Barral was my mentor. He guided me through culinary school, and he hired me to teach at NECI. I trust him implicitly and can't wait to get back to VT to try out his new place.

Peace,

kmf

www.KurtFriese.com

Have to strongly disagree with the Rouques suggestion. 4 of us ate there over Xmas and had a very mediocre meal. The margaritas lacked tequila, the salsa lacked spice, the chips were greasy, the guacamole was blender-blah, all entrees were Chi-Chi's-esque---the only good thing we had was some decent pork on the nachos. And by the way, we only got nachos because of a major lack of interesting apps--cheese fundido, quesadillas, nachos...blah.

Single Pebble, Smokejack's, Kitchen Table, Cafe Shelburne--these are better bets.

Food is a convenient way for ordinary people to experience extraordinary pleasure, to live it up a bit.

-- William Grimes