• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

St. Lawrence Market

itch22

I'll be in Toronto this Tuesday and was planning on stopping into the St. Lawrence Market on Front Street. I know it'd be best to visit it on a Saturday when the farmers are in but Tuesday will have to do.

It'll be my first time visiting the St. Lawrence Market, would anyone who frequents it make some recommendations for groccers, delis and/or restaraunts in the area?

-- Jason

There are just too many to list - check out the cheese Olympic Food & Cheese, WhiteHouse Meats, The Mustard Emporium among many others. There plenty ot eat at the market in the morning. If are in the area around lunchtime - Jamie Kennedy Wine Bar around the corner is a top shelf.

You must, absolutely must, have a peameal bacon sandwhich from any one of the number of vendors there who sell them. If you haven't had one before, you will fall in love.

Marlene

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.

Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.

You absolutely must go to Kozlik's Mustard store. I am heading down there this weekend to get more. There is NO better mustard out there. I especially love their Triple Crunch (it has Canadian Club in it too).

The best sandwiche in the place is a tie between the Eggplant Foccacia sandwiche at Moustachio's (downstairs) and the Peameal on a Kaiser from Carousel (upstairs).

St. Lawrence is still the best place for cheese and sausages. Too many good places to go to.

Make sure you go on a Saturday and visit the Farmer's Market in the North Building across the street.

Mark

I know that you've probably come and gone, but to everyone else out there, I have to say that the chicken churrasco (sp?) from the store upstairs, near the entrance to the market is one of the best sandwiches I have ever eaten: masses of chicken; with tomato, lettuce, mayonnaise, and an incredible piri piri sauce, of which I cannot get enough! It's on white bread rolls, but even that I can deal with for the sake of the filling!

Librarian_chef is right about the mustard store, it's great; so is Alex Farms cheese shop, which sells its own olive oil, cheeses, olives, balsamic etc.

Forget the house, forget the children. I want custody of the red and access to the port once a month.

KEVIN CHILDS.

Doesn't play well with others.

• 2 weeks later...

Dried and hot. (The best in my humble opinion.) I also bought a variety of high end olive oils, good parmigiano reggiano, and prosciutto. The olive oils put me over my budget so I skipped the Caviar Store.

I also made a stop in at Little Tokyo in Kensington Market. It was also my first time there (Little Tokyo, not Kensington) and I was very impressed. Helpful staff, high quality imports (not cheap MSG enriced stuff), and free tea samplings.

-- Jason

Where is Little Tokyo in Kensington (street? close to?....) I presume it's more like a Japanese grocery than a restaurant.

Sorry, I know that it's a little OT, but itch22 did mention it..... :unsure:

cheers!

Forget the house, forget the children. I want custody of the red and access to the port once a month.

KEVIN CHILDS.

Little Tokyo is a grocery. It is fabulous, great selection, good quality products and extremely helpful staff!

Barbara Laidlaw aka "Jake"

Good friends help you move, real friends help you move bodies.

Where is Little Tokyo in Kensington (street? close to?....) I presume it's more like a Japanese grocery than a restaurant.

Sorry, I know that it's a little OT, but itch22 did mention it..... :unsure:

cheers!

It is 199 August Ave. More info here: http://www.torontolife.com/cityguide/listi...listing_id=1200

-- Jason

Thanks very much guys [or sir, and ma'm! ;) ]!!!!!!

I'm glad to see that you enjoyed St Lawrence, Jason, I love that place!

When you have a chance to return there, you should also buy some meat from Whitehouse - they have interesting cuts, game etc, as well as demi-glace if you want to cheat with your sauce (I often do!).

There's an organic greengrocer on the top floor that usually has one or two things that are just perfect (cannot remember the name...) and the other greengrocers, although not necessarily all organic, have a better variety of heirloom tomatoes, mushrooms etc than you will usually find elsewhere.

KEVIN CHILDS.