• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Its time for the Texas State Fair!

nessa

Inspired by this:

The Dallas Morning News: Texas Taste

And in the local news section Katie Menzer has a story about cooks getting ready for The Texas State Fair food contests.  Time to get cookin'.

And this:

Recipes

Who's going to the fair this year?

Have you evern entered your cooking at the State Fair?

What was the contest like? Would you do it again?

Have you ever tried the recipes from the winners? What did you think?

What is your favorite fair food, that you simply can not resist?

What is the main reason you go to the fair?

Edited by nessa (log)

I have never been to the Texas State Fair, but have heard about it all my life. So this year, I am planning on going on the 16th of Oct. The Oklahoma Sugar Arts show is at the Tulsa State Fair the weekend before so I will be there. Why go to the fair, because it is fun. To see the exhibits that people have worked on all year. I go to see the foods, the crafts (being a novice potter the ceramics is interesting to me) and to see the animals the kids have raised.

As to the food on a stick, there is not too much that I find interesting. I have gotten over my nostalgia thing about fair food.

THose people who do the canning, I have much respect for them.

It is good to be a BBQ Judge.  And now it is even gooder to be a Steak Cookoff Association Judge.  Life just got even better.  Woo Hoo!!!

I went last year and had a BLAST. My SO practically got one of everything, and I had a wee taste. What I REALLY wanted was a big ol' honkin' smoked turkey leg. I was too tired and hot to enjoy it when I did finally get to it, hours later. For whatever reason, I just get all excited about a crispy, smokey, tasty turkey leg, until I have it in my hand. Half the time it loses its appeal. This year, I'm rather looking forward to corndogs. Oh, and the Greek food.

I want to see the dancing, and the art exhibits. I hope the chinese acrobats return, they were a delight to watch. I didn't see half of what I wanted to last year, so perhaps this year I'll go a couple of times. More oppurtunities to eat, also :shock::raz: I can justify bein'g a little bad, with all the walking involved.

I've never seen the food contest area, nor cooked any recipes from the winners. however, the cake in the aformentioned link looks promising!

I have to admit that corndogs are a nostalgia thing for me. Not the same anywhere else as at their point of origin, the TX State Fair. (The first time I ever ate wiener schnitzel was at the TX State Fair as a kid --a long time ago.)

Love to visit the exhibits -- food (the canning exhibits are my favorite) and art. Have exhibited in the art show many years ago and it was a great experience. And we always used to go to the annual play production during the fair. The Chinese acrobats sound interesting -- have not been to the fair in . . . mmmmmmmmm . . . several years.

Judith Love

North of the 30th parallel

One woman very courteously approached me in a grocery store, saying, "Excuse me, but I must ask why you've brought your dog into the store." I told her that Grace is a service dog.... "Excuse me, but you told me that your dog is allowed in the store because she's a service dog. Is she Army or Navy?" Terry Thistlewaite

• 2 weeks later...

I'll be there this Saturday, October 9. I don't go for the fair, per se, because I'm technically there for the football game in the Cotton Bowl.

But, since I'm there, a corny dog is always in order, and usually a funnel cake and a turkey leg, too.

I agree with lovebenton...it's not that that these things are the best food ever; it's more about nostalgia and the atmosphere. I love fairs, and the Texas State Fair is right up there with the best of them. Can't wait.

*sigh* I still have yet to make it. Looks like I might get to go the last weekend. Life has a strange way of happenin', ya'know? I hear they have a new "spicy" corndog? I'm really gunnin' for that!

*sigh* I still have yet to make it. Looks like I might get to go the last weekend. Life has a strange way of happenin', ya'know? I hear they have a new "spicy" corndog? I'm really gunnin' for that!

Oooh! The Dude (i.e. my dude) will be all over that, if it's true. We'll report back on the spicy corn dogs after this weekend!

**Edited because I clicked on the wrong quote for reply!

*sigh*  I still have yet to make it. Looks like I might get to go the last weekend.   Life has a strange way of happenin', ya'know?  I hear they have a new "spicy"  corndog?  I'm really gunnin' for that!

Spicy corndogs? oh no. must try that. With game being so early this year, we better win, otherwise I'll be too upset to have my corndog after the game. I don't think I have the stomach for a 9am spicy corndog :biggrin:

Any unusual fried things this year? I was disappointed with the fried cheesecake last year...

edited to add:

OU sucks!

Edited by coolranch (log)

Challah back!

Yesterday I was at the fair and had the fried marshmellow. It was better than I expected! New this year: fried oreo, fried smores, and fried nutter butter. I can't eat too much sweet stuff so the marshmellow was my limit. I think the fried nutter butter would be great with a beer at 9 a.m. don't you?

I just got the regular corny dog but a woman who got the jalapeno cheese version was complaining to the worker that she could neither see nor taste the jalapeno cheese so she must have been given the regular by mistake. The worker said "no, it's in there" and wouldn't even look to see if the woman was given the wrong kind. So who knows! It may be a lame version.

Hook 'em horns!

I think I will try the nutter butter next weekend when I am down.

go Sooners.

It is good to be a BBQ Judge.  And now it is even gooder to be a Steak Cookoff Association Judge.  Life just got even better.  Woo Hoo!!!