• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

best cheap knife set?

mjr_inthegardens

Mundial makes decent, inexpensive knives. If you hunt around, you could easily get a set for around $80 but without steak knives.

I would then go to Ross or Marshalls and pick up a set of steak knives for 10 bucks (you can actually find whole sets of decent cutlery at these places for a really good price, I also saw a 6qt Le Creuset Dutch oven for $125!!)

The knives may not hold an edge really well, but for someone who doesn't have a knife fetish they will do just fine.

Now sharpening is another thing, if the person you're buying for doesn't like to sharpen knives or doesn't take good care of them, then I would consider just going out and getting the miracle blade or some other really inexpensive serrated knife set then buy replacements for her every couple of years.

BTW, are you making fun of the almighty spork? Heck, if it's good enough for KFC it's good enough for me! :laugh:

"Live every moment as if your hair were on fire" Zen Proverb

BTW, are you making fun of the almighty spork?  Heck, if it's good enough for KFC it's good enough for me!  :laugh:

actually I have a very soft spot in me heart for sporks.

I am waiting until I have some extra cash and pick up the titanium camping spork.

�As I ate the oysters with their strong taste of the sea and their faint metallic taste that the cold white wine washed away, leaving only the sea taste and the succulent texture, and as I drank their cold liquid from each shell and washed it down with the crisp taste of the wine, I lost the empty feeling and began to be happy, and to make plans.� - Ernest Hemingway, in �A Moveable Feast�

Brooklyn, NY, USA

I would hit up some flea markets and yard sales. The sets may need some sharpening, but you can get some killer deals.

My father is a flea market junky, and has multiple full sets of knives he has picked up on impulse. Many are non-branded, but they all work dandy-well given a good sharpening.

I don't know if I am alone here, but I tend to dislike the steak knives that come in knife sets. Most I have seen are non-serrated, and I just prefer a good serrated knife for cutting up food on my plate. I am partial to the cheapy ones that one can find in a restaurant supply store similar to those they use at place settings in chain restaurants, but then again, that is just me...

He don't mix meat and dairy,

He don't eat humble pie,

So sing a miserere

And hang the bastard high!

- Richard Wilbur and John LaTouche from Candide