• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

CHICKEN CURRY

BBhasin

growing up, chicken curry was always a whole chicken cut up in parts.

Now, some serve it boneless, others want only white meat and some( like me) prefer legs and thighs. I was reading this article which piqued my curosity.

What do you prefer?

article

Bombay Curry Company

3110 Mount Vernon Avenue, Alexandria, VA 22305. 703. 836-6363

Delhi Club

Arlington, Virginia

Dark meat has so much more flavor, I can't imagine any context in which I wouldn't prefer it. I think it's especially true in the contect of most curry dishes, if you want to have any chicken flavor at all come out among the many other flavors. Also, since one may cook dark meat substantially longer than white meat chicken, this offers more of an opportunity for the flavors to marry. For me, I only tend to use white meat chicken when I am going for a quick cooking and want to play up its inherrent tenderness.

--

I prefer the leg/thigh meat, with bones.

However, when cooked in a gravy, I wonder if there really is such a difference between the taste of the meat from the breast vs. that from the leg?

When cooked dry, I understand there is a difference in taste. But when its been braising for a while, anyway its going to get the flavor from all of the spices/broth etc, will there be that much difference in tase?

When cooked dry, I understand there is a difference in taste. But when its been braising for a while, anyway its going to get the flavor from all of the spices/broth etc, will there be that much difference in tase?

Sure. When braised for any appreciable length of time, the white meat will be dry and tough whereas the dark meat will be moist and tender.

--

When braised for any appreciable length of time, the white meat will be dry and tough whereas the dark meat will be moist and tender.

This is the part I don't understand. When the meat is braising, it is, by definition, surrounded by liquid. Why would the meat be dry? In my experience, when I am making a Indian style chicken stew (aka Chicken curry), even the breast meat is never dry, even if manage to overcook it. Even if I cook it to "falling-off-the-bones" consistency.

This is the part I don't understand. When the meat is braising, it is, by definition, surrounded by liquid. Why would the meat be dry? In my experience, when I am making a Indian style chicken stew (aka Chicken curry), even the breast meat is never dry, even if manage to overcook it. Even if I cook it to "falling-off-the-bones" consistency.

Bong: I used to think the same thing. So I couldn't understand when my father-in-law complained that my very saucy Chicken Cacciatorre was too dry. But I have since learned: It makes no difference if chicken is cooked dry or in liquid; if it is cooked for too long at too high a level of heat, it will become dry and tough. This is true of any protein -- poultry, meat, fish, even eggs. The strands of protein will coil so tightly that the internal moisture will be squeezed out.

It could be that even though you are cooking it for a long time (to "falling-off-the-bones" consistency, as you say), you are not cooking it at too high heat. So to me, what you do is not quite the same as overcooking.

But to answer the original question: it doesn't really take that much longer to cook chicken on the bone, rather than boneless -- especially when the dish needs time anyway for the flavors to develop. And dark does have more flavor to begin with. So I much prefer dark, on the bone. Besides, then one has the fun of sucking the gravy out of the bones. Mmmmm.

Suzanne in India I know we enjoy sucking bone dry till all flavors is taken out. Best flavor around bones and curry gets trapped. You are thinking like Indian people.

What recipe you use for your Indian style chicken curry?

I have made some recently and enjoying the idea of going back to my roots.

if you cook the chicken on the bone, you provide some source of collagen and connective tissue--the slow 200 degree heat of braising will break that down into oozy goodness. but if you use boned-out breasts, you're down to muscle fiber. there's nothing to break down, nothing to provide moisture after the proteins have denatured.

Not only another vote for dark meat here, but the thighs specifically. All the extra fat in them makes them very juicy indeed. I don't like the leg as much because of that one tougher muscle on the side with the tendon going through it.

I prefer the white meat for grilled or roasted recipes.

Pat

"I... like... FOOD!" -Red Valkyrie, Gauntlet Legends-

As long as it tastes good not smelling raw. Any thing except gizzeles okay I mistook them once for fresh cut ad bought them :). After I don't pretend anymore to know anything about chicken. That is may be due to the fact that I chose not observe the raw meat once cooked took a different flavour or otherwise not. Because my mummy is too good a cook :)) all I cared for.

Now I am in a quagmire to answer or to not knowing well that I use very less of my innate sense when it comes to eating non-veg dishes, I have not the discernment at all. Chicken is chicken as long as it is juicy and good.

I'm bad at it I realized today after admitting "my defeat" in front of my husband who humbly cooked me some chicken curry that is far better tasting than any I cooked up until now for him yet he insists on saying, it is not as good as my prep. hmm..