• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

WTN. Some Good, Some Not So Good

Coop

Frescobaldi Campo ai Sasso 2002:

Muddy purple, Nose of bubble gum and cheap grape pop. Grape Bubbilicious? Impossible to get past this wierd nose. Thin in the mouth. After a half hour the horrrlble nose left the bare bones of a terrible thin wine. The guy at The Kitsilano Wine Cellar recomended this one. I was leary because of the vintage. The 2000 drank 2 months ago at Cru was very nice. 0 mullets out of 4.

20001 Baltasar Old Vine Granacha:

Brilliant purple, Cedar and tobacco, then plummy fruit. Oaky, nice wieght in mouth. Long finish with the flavour of wine and oak. 3 mullets out of 4.

Qunta de Camarate 2003 by Jose Maria da Fonseca:

Nose with very muscat aromas, honey and Citrus. Very dry in the mouth. Almost like Sauvignon Blanc. After a while the nose turns grassy. This is very cool. Great summer sipper. 3.5 mullets.

Camagliano Sant' Antimo Cabernet Sauvignon 2001:

This is part of my self imposed Tuscan learning curve. Deep purple, almost black. Nose of Ooives and chocolate. Not the cassis fruit typical of Napa and Bordeaux. Very dry in the mouth seems to have a dry but short finish. I wonder if they changed this vineyard from Sangiovese to Cabernet. If so what a disapointment. Not bad wine by any means, just not as good as Brunello or Rosso di Montalcino in my opinion. Mullet jury currently un-decided. Will re-considers tomorrow.

Pantelleria by Pellegrino 2002:

I believe this house is huge in the Marsala business. Interesting orange colour, nose like Port, no great Muscat (the grape I believe) aromas. A bit maderized, sweet and cloying. No acidity. might make a nice sauce for veal or chicken. 1 mullet out of 4.

The first three wine were purchased from a private wine store in Vancouver B.C. It is a little wierd to get treated like a customer when buying wine in this country. That's why I'm going easy on them for recomending the first wine. It was awful. Anyone who tasttes it would instantly know it's complete garbage. I am doubling my vigilance when it comes to 2002 in Tuscany.

David Cooper

"I'm no friggin genius". Rob Dibble

http://www.starlinebyirion.com/