• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

eG Foodblog: guajolote - g-man foodblog, the game

guajolote

it's called POM wonderful. i always include the wonderful part b/c i :wub: the name. the label says pomegranite juice and natural flavors. i think it's way to strong on it's own but i like it diluted about 4 parts sparkling water to 1 part pom. my wife thinks it would be good w/ some vodka in there too but we all know vodka is for sissies :wink:

All right, my burning question is POM.  What exactly is it?

I've seen bottles of it....is it just bottled pomegranate juice?  That can't be it, is it?  Why is it so popular?

Soba

The Alpenroast rocks but you will need good ventilation when the cooling cycle kicks in.  I've been using one for a couple of years and can offer plenty of tips and tricks but you'll have to visit the fabulous  eGullet Coffee & Tea Forum  to discuss that.

i have a very powerful hood. my wife says she can smell it when i'm roasting from 2 blocks away. i had been using a fresh roast pus for about 1.5 years. i order my green beans from the coffee bean corral, usually columbian or guatemalan.

of course, the first thing my wife said when she saw the alpenrost was 'where are we going to put it ?' :angry:

mustard. i love maille mustard. love it. love it love it love it :wub:

Mustard, or cornichons? C'mon man, don't make us guess! Oh... I guess the whole blog is about guessing, I guess? :huh:

Seriously, looking forward to it, except that I'm lousy at games. :blink:

Carry on,

Squeat

today's ingredient list:

pom wonderful

water

leftovers for lunch (if anyone wants details i'll post them)

cellophane noodles

bologna

marias

rice milk

string cheese

vegetable oil

thai basil

diet coke

thai bird chilies

rice milk

kix

val's bakery dinner rolls

bourbon

2002 albecht pinot gris

gerolsteiner

pepper

cellophane noodles

fish sauce

lime (the fruit)

chinese sausage

duck eggs

barilla pipette

grapefruit juice

chicken stock

2 popsicles

mott's apple sauce w/ cinnamon

roasted guatemala antigua beans

butter

shallots

today i've also included what i cooked for my kids, including a packed lunch.

my wife went out to dinner at cafe bolero :angry: . when i talked to her she was having a mojito :angry::angry: and carne milanesa :angry::angry::angry:

Ok, mon ami. What's a maria?

I'm thinking you went Vietnamese, but I'm not sure how. I'm having a big problem with the string cheese, unless it was in Iris's lunch. Did she have a bologna sam on a roll? I figure she and Robert had a popsickle for a late afternoon treat. Likewise the applesauce.

Where did you get the duck's eggs? What's a barilla pipette? Kix??????? And does the new buff g drink Diet Coke?

Margaret McArthur

"Take it easy, but take it."

Studs Terkel

1912-2008

A sensational tennis blog from freakyfrites

margaretmcarthur.com

It's fun guessing what's for you and what's for the kids. String cheese and popsicles are a gimme - do they like spicy food yet? I can get Emma and Ian to try some spicy food. Ian still hates it, but Emma is getting a little more tolerant.

Who in your house drinks rice milk?

Heather Johnson

In Good Thyme

Ok, mon ami.  What's a maria?

marias. btw that price is unbelievable. i think i pay $0.59 for them :wacko:

Who in your house drinks rice milk?

both my kids are allegic to milk (eggs and peanuts too). we're not too strict about it, but they've both been drinking it since they got off the boob juice. rice dream is a very good product.

more later about yesterday's food.

both my kids are allegic to milk (eggs and peanuts too). we're not too strict about it, but they've both been drinking it since they got off the boob juice.

That's right, we talked about this Emma had her allergy testing.

And for the pigs feet...I am guessing snerd. But do you have a pispot to serve it in?

Heather Johnson

In Good Thyme

And for the pigs feet...I am guessing snerd.  But do you have a pispot to serve it in?

:wacko: *smacks head* of course.

=R=

"Hey, hey, careful man! There's a beverage here!" --The Dude, The Big Lebowski

LTHForum.com -- The definitive Chicago-based culinary chat site

ronnie_suburban 'at' yahoo.com

the duck eggs are from rolling goose farm in loda IL.

the goat cheese i had wen. night was from capriole called Mont.St. Francis..check out thier website, they have great products.

i bought both of these from the green city market. it's a great place to shop. when i asked judith schad, the owner/farmer/chesse maker how often they were at the market she said 'whenever the threshing machine is working' :laugh: she is so nice, and her cheeses are great. she also told me that when they started all the cheeses were given french names, but they stopped doing that.

I'm guessing you made a version of bahn mi with the rolls, thai basil, thai chilli, fish sauce, pepper, bologna, and cellophane noodles?

followed by chinese sausage, duck egg pipette with a side of beans?

...could it be?

Cognito ergo consume - Satchel Pooch, Get Fuzzy

Hey! Did you ever explain why your produce was so bad this week?

Either way, I'm sure you're excited to remedy that situation tomorrow.

=R=

yesterday:

my daughter had kix and rice milk for breakfast

her lunch was applesauce, string cheese, bologna, marias, and cashews

my wife and i both had leftovers for lunch

at 5:00 or so i had a bolagna sandwich w/ maille mustard on a dinner roll

both kids had barilla pipette cooked in chicken broth for dinner, and a dinner roll w/ butter w/ some rice milk.

at seven or so they each had a popsicle.

we got home and i had some bourbon, then some of the pinot gris. after they were in bed i:

soaked the cellophane noodles in water. cooked the noodles in boiling water for like a minute.

sauteed some shallots and chilies in oil. added the chinese sausage sliced. added the noodles.

beat 2 duck eggs w/ a little fish sauce and lime juice.

added the eggs to the noodles/shallots/chilies and added a the basil and black pepper. cooked and stirred for about a minute. let it cook undisturbed for about 3 more minutes, then flipped it (no spills :biggrin: ) and let it cook another 3 minutes.

i kinda based thish on a laotian ( i think it was) dish that i found in hot sour salty sweet. i'll try to look it up later.

soaked the cellophane noodles in water. cooked the noodles in boiling water for like a minute.

sauteed some shallots and chilies in oil. added the chinese sausage sliced. added the noodles.

beat 2 duck eggs w/ a little fish sauce and lime juice.

added the eggs to the noodles/shallots/chilies and added a the basil and black pepper. cooked and stirred for about a minute. let it cook undisturbed for about 3 more minutes, then flipped it (no spills :biggrin: ) and let it cook another 3 minutes.

i kinda based thish on a laotian ( i think it was) dish that i found in hot sour salty sweet. i'll try to look it up later.

Dayum! That does sound good. :smile:

How do you like Hot Sour Salty Sweet?

=R=

What's a typical day, like what time do you eat breakfast?  Do you usually eat dinner after the kids go to bed?

breakfast is usually a glass of grapefruit and then lots of black coffee. sometimes on weekends i'll make bacon, egss, etc. but i'm usually not hungry when i get up.

we usually all eat dinner together at around 5:00 :shock: . this allows us to clean up, get the kids to the park so that they can run around and get sleepy, and then get to bed. i would prefer to eat at 7 or 8, but my wife really doesan;t like cleaning up at 10.

yesterday's ingredients:

grape tomatoes

early girl tomatoes

thai chilies

unknown chile stolen from my neighbor

onions

garlic

mexican oregano

lime juice

sugar

pisco

dinner rolls