• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

eG Foodblog: guajolote - g-man foodblog, the game

guajolote

here's what i ate/cooked with today. can you guess what i made?

water

salt

cucumbers

shallots

red onions

turmeric

red wine

gummie bears

1/2 & 1/2

gerolstiner

green coffee (guatemala antigua)

bay leaves

pepper

pork cutlets

Val's Bakery wheat bread

brown sugar

goat cheese

eagle river bourbon

flour

sage

butter

olive oil

grapefruit juice

yellow beans

garlic

rice

POM wonderful

carrots

chicken stock

cider vinegar

diet coke

mustard seeds

roasted coffee

celery seeds

thai bird chilies

more details later. at some point i'll declare a winner, who will get a prize :shock:

Edited by guajolote (log)

I know if I had thai bird chilis, vinegar, shallots, water and sugar, I'd be making that condiment that I'd be making that Thai condiment that accompanies satay.

Sure hope you drank, not cooked with, the Diet Coke.

Glad to see another heartlander blogging.

Awaiting photos of just what you did with this assortment of ingredients.

Susan Fahning aka "snowangel"

Breakfast:

Toasted wheat bread and goat cheese. Sprinking of brown sugar, run under the grill. Eagle River Bourbon.

Lunch: Gummi Bears poached in chicken broth. More of the bread.

Two o'clock: Roast the coffee beans. Glass of grapefruit juice for the roaster.

Four o'clock: Post-jog Diet Coke

Five o'clock: Red wine

Dinner: Carrots. Yellow beans. And pork cutlets marinated in all the other ingredients, except the cucumber, which you attempt to make Iris eat and fail. Red wine. Dessert: Goat cheese sprinkled with bourbon and brown sugar, run under the broiler.

Gerolsteiner.

Bourbon

Margaret McArthur

"Take it easy, but take it."

Studs Terkel

1912-2008

A sensational tennis blog from freakyfrites

margaretmcarthur.com

hooray! i'm so glad you're blogging! :smile:

pork chop sammiches on wheat with side of cukes and gummies, shots of bourbon chased with red wine and POM.... and....

"There is no worse taste in the mouth than chocolate and cigarettes. Second would be tuna and peppermint. I've combined everything, so I know."

--Augusten Burroughs

From what I've heard, my guess is

cucumber infused bourbon

shallot infused bourbon

red onion infused bourbon

turmeric infused bourbon

gummie bear infused bourbon

pepper infused bourbon

goat cheese infused bourbon

sage infused bourbon

garlic infused bourbon

etc, etc...

here's another question. where do you think the goat cheese came from? (hint: made by a hoosier woman who isn't ronnie's wife)

my camera's usb cable is broken :angry: so no pics for now, but i ordered a replacement that hopefully will work. it should come tomorrow.

brown brought me something very cool yesterday that i'll talk about later :biggrin: .

here's another question. where do you think the goat cheese came from? (hint: made by a hoosier woman who isn't ronnie's wife)

My MIL? :biggrin:

I will recuse myself here, since I know the answer.

=R=

"Hey, hey, careful man! There's a beverage here!" --The Dude, The Big Lebowski

LTHForum.com -- The definitive Chicago-based culinary chat site

ronnie_suburban 'at' yahoo.com

later today i'll sort it all out, after i've finished my gummy bear cocktail :laugh:

here's what brown brought yesterday. i really like it. it roasts 8 oz at a time. my first try i didn't roast quite long enough but the coffee was still good.

i've also been shopping twice in the last 2 days. i think this is a little below my average :blink: .

yesterday went to the rogers park fruit market, which is 2 blocks away from my house. picked up some gerolsteiner, cashews for my daughter's lunch, and some cotija cheese. i wasn;t planning on buying the cotija but my daughter wanted it.

today i went to lincolnwood produce (affectionately known as LP). didn;t reall have a list but came out with:

a whole case of gerolstainer

an avacado

dinner rolls from val's bakery (val delivers his bread in a ford focus :wink: )

maille

1/2 & 1/2

lurpak (they were out of my favorite czech butter, jana valley :angry: )

POM wonderful

pigs feet

chicken livers

oyster mushrooms

and a couple other things i've forgotten

today i went to lincolnwood produce (affectionately known as LP). didn;t reall have a list but came out with:

maille

Mustard, or cornichons? C'mon man, don't make us guess! Oh... I guess the whole blog is about guessing, I guess? :huh:

Seriously, looking forward to it, except that I'm lousy at games. :blink:

Carry on,

Squeat

Dean, I already know you just ate the bourbon and goat cheese and gave the rest of the shit away.

I was thinking that you had grilled goat cheese on wheat bread, drank the wine with it, polished off the bourbon in an all-night drinking session and then drank the coffee the next morning in a futile attempt to sober up. So wrong.

The Alpenroast rocks but you will need good ventilation when the cooling cycle kicks in. I've been using one for a couple of years and can offer plenty of tips and tricks but you'll have to visit the fabulous eGullet Coffee & Tea Forum to discuss that. On with the blog. I love puzzles if other people are solving them.

yesterday:

gf juice and coffee for breakfast

no lunch, was too busy working and pickling

i made bread and butter pickles. i have 2 cucumber vines in my yard that have been going crazy. every week or so i pick 6-8 cucumbers and make a batch of bread and butter. my recipe is adapted from joy of pickling (one of my top five favorites) and conatins cider vinegar, brown sugar, a little water, salt, cucumbers, onions, shallots, mustard seeds, black peppercorns, and thai chilies (or whatever chile is laying around - fresh or dried). i'll often steal some hot peppers from my neighbors yard, he hasn;t caught me yet :biggrin: . yesterday my pickling was extra fun b/c a friend of mine gave me 1/2 gallon ball jars. these have been discontinued b/c the usda doesn;t publish canning reccomendations for them anymore :sad: . but i have 6 and most of you have none so :raz: .

i ate the gummy bears on the el ride home from school. i on;y had 3 or 4, while she had less than she wanted.

for dinner (while sipping on some bourbon):

yellow wax beans blanched and then sauteed in butter. they were terrible. i'll rant about my produce i bought sunday later.

into the rice cooker i threw botan (japanese style) rice, chicken stock, chopped carrot, and a sliced shallot. S&P too. set it and forget it.

pounded out the pork cutlets (they were brined, of course)

placed a couple of sage leaves and a chunk of goat cheese in the middle

rolled them up and tied them w/ string

dusted them with flour and sauteed in OO/butter until they were brown on all sides. stuck them in the oven for about 10 more minutes

threw some sliced garlic in the pan, deglazed with red wine and stock. let it reduce.

looked for the maille. i was out :angry: added a little 1/2 and 1/2 instead.

served the dinner w/ the bread.

had some more red wine later, and a 'cocktail' of gerolsteiner (german sparkling water that's VERY minerally) mixed w/ POM. some more red wine. ate a couple of cashews.

more later. i'll try to answer the great questions that have been asked later too.

pounded out the pork cutlets (they were brined, of course)

placed a couple of sage leaves and a chunk of goat cheese in the middle

rolled them up and tied them w/ string

dusted them with flour and sauteed in OO/butter until they were brown on all sides. stuck them in the oven for about 10 more minutes

threw some sliced garlic in the pan, deglazed with red wine and stock. let it reduce.

looked for the maille. i was out  :angry: added a little 1/2 and 1/2 instead.

Goodness, that sounds good.