• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Woodlands

AmyH

A friend who loves Indian food went to Woodlands the other night and raves! Since he is a reliable source and I just found this blurb from Westwood, I thought I would post and see if anyone else has been.

" . . the space in Regatta Plaza, at 12200 East Cornell Street in Aurora, that once held the excellent Maruti Narayan's. But even as I wrote that, a new occupant was calling the place home. Denver Woodlands -- a vegetarian, kosher Indian restaurant and bakery featuring pastries, Indian dosas and a full menu of made-from-scratch Southern Indian dishes -- opened in that very spot just a few weeks ago. And if the crowds there last Saturday night were any indication, Denver Woodlands should be seeing plenty of green. "

A friend who loves Indian food went to Woodlands the other night and raves!  Since he is a reliable source and I just found this blurb from Westwood, I thought I would post and see if anyone else has been.

" . . the space in Regatta Plaza, at 12200 East Cornell Street in Aurora, that once held the excellent Maruti Narayan's. But even as I wrote that, a new occupant was calling the place home. Denver Woodlands -- a vegetarian, kosher Indian restaurant and bakery featuring pastries, Indian dosas and a full menu of made-from-scratch Southern Indian dishes -- opened in that very spot just a few weeks ago. And if the crowds there last Saturday night were any indication, Denver Woodlands should be seeing plenty of green. "

i wonder if this is a chain? my favorite indian restaurant in my neighborhood is called woodlands and it's a vegetarian place, too. unbelievable paper dosas.

Well, if you go to Google with terms like woodlands indian restaurant, you find a lot of links to about four restaurants in London that are vegetarian Indian. There are 3 in Virginia as well.

Sounds like there is a story behind this name somewhere.

TheMatt

Learning just means you were wrong and they were right. - Aram

i wonder if this is a chain? my favorite indian restaurant in my neighborhood is called woodlands and it's a vegetarian place, too. unbelievable paper dosas.

russ, are you referring to the woodlands off of pioneer in artesia? or has a branch opened in l.a proper? i haven't eaten at the woodlands in artesia out of loyalty/inertia to udipi palace--how would you compare the two?

I almost ended up going here instead when driving around looking for Masalaa (which is across Peoria from the shopping center Woodlands is in). I will definitely be checking it out next week, so if anyone goes soon, please post recommended menu items as soon as you can.

Edited by rlm (log)

“When I was dating and the wine list was presented to my male companion, I tried to ignore this unfortunate faux pas. But this practice still goes on…Closing note to all servers and sommeliers: please include women in wine selection. Okay?”--Alpana Singh, M.S.-"Alpana Pours"

yup, that's the one. i have only eaten at udupi once and liked it. but i really love woodlands. check out the breads, especially. they make a channa batura that is like a giant fried balloon stuffed with a little bit (in proportion) of stewed chickpeas. also the various dosas are amazing. the paper dosa is at least 18 inches across, rolled and filled with another vegetarian stew. i went the first time on the recommendation of a couple of very gourmet indians who happened to be sitting next to us at renu nakorn. figured they must have good taste.

i am intrigued--will check out our local woodlands soon, and the artesia outpost in december. as vegetarian udipi/tamilian cuisine spreads in the u.s i hope it will lead also to a greater presence of the great non-veg incorporating cuisines of south india. since these cuisines don't have a long restaurant history, even in india, they haven't really been bastardized very much; and the douse with cream approach seen in so many north-indian restaurants even in india doesn't apply here. both in flavors and healthfulness much of these cuisines would, i think, catch on in the u.s quite quickly. however, the hegemony of chicken tikka masala and bright red tandoori chicken may not be so easily overcome.

here in boulder we have one restaurant, saffron, which gives recipes from some of these traditions a dominant place on their menu (to middling effect, in my opinion)--i think the new place that is supposed to open soon off broadway is also going to feature south-indian non-veg. strange that boulder will soon have two such places whereas i am not aware of there being any in los angeles--though i haven't been to artesia in a while.

rlm, when are you planning to go to woodlands? perhaps we could coordinate? we will likely need to do a big korean grocery run in aurora at the end of next week.

also the various dosas are amazing. the paper dosa is at least 18 inches across, rolled and filled with another vegetarian stew.

russ,

you need to go on a food-trip to india. in hyderabad--where i finished high-school--a local specialty is something called the 70mm dosa. the number refers not to the dimensions of the dosa but to the 70mm projector that is the preferred way of projecting bollywood extravaganzas. the dosa in question is humongous--almost takes over the entire table. eating your way to the spicy stuff in the middle takes a while. i always wondered about the size of the pans in which these monsters must be fried.

the chana-bhatura you describe also sounds intriguing--i hope the local branch features it. in punjab (which is the region i associate bhaturas with) the bhatura is rarely stuffed with the chana. if you like chana-bhaturas i would also recommend the excellent version (as good as anything i've eaten in similar places in india) at india sweet house on pico.

mongo

rlm, when are you planning to go to woodlands? perhaps we could coordinate? we will likely need to do a big korean grocery run in aurora at the end of next week.

Alas, it appears that I won't be able to leave for lunch this week at all. Looks like it's going to be cafeteria time for me all week due to our schedule. :sad: Please let me know if you and Mrs. Jones go and enjoy it so I'll know whether to keep it on the "must try" list or not.

“When I was dating and the wine list was presented to my male companion, I tried to ignore this unfortunate faux pas. But this practice still goes on…Closing note to all servers and sommeliers: please include women in wine selection. Okay?”--Alpana Singh, M.S.-"Alpana Pours"

Alas, it appears that I won't be able to leave for lunch this week at all. Looks like it's going to be cafeteria time for me all week due to our schedule.  :sad: Please let me know if you and Mrs. Jones go and enjoy it so I'll know whether to keep it on the "must try" list or not.

have been--link to detailed review available upon request

What does that mean?? Why won't you simply post your review right here where it belongs/

amy,

don't mean to be cryptic. i've posted the review elsewhere--i'd rather not have two parallel conversations on two different sites and so. and i'm not sure if it is kosher to post links to food forums on other sites on egullet--if interested parties pm me i will send them the link.

mongo

Thanks for the pm, mongo. I still haven't made it to Woodlands yet (maybe next week). Could I have an egullet site administrator write a nasty-gram to my place of employment and tell them to quit scheduling meetings from 11:00 am to 1:00 pm? That is just pathological. :biggrin: