• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Pubs with Wireless?

syzygy8

A co-worker with whom I need to complete a project has suggested that we consider doing it at a pub, where she'll bring along a laptop and we can access the Web wireless. Does anyone have suggestions on pubs in DC, preferably close to Downtown/Mall/Metro Center/Penn Quarter, that serve a quality pint of something that's not Coors, Bud or Miller AND can let us log on to the e-world at the same time?

I think if you have access to Verizon's Boradband access product, you don't need a "hot spot." So long as you can get a cell phone signal, you should be able to pick up their wireless internet service as well. Thus, you could go to almost any "pub" in town.

I'm guessing that resturants/bars in hotels are good places to expect to find 'hot spots' if you can't get Verizon thingy to work (can't get signal).

Four Points Sheraton has WiFi por ejemplo.

Edited by morela (log)

Four Points Sheraton has WiFi por ejemplo.

I hear they have a nice restaurant there. In fact, I'm almost positively sure that that restaurant happens to have bottles of Sam Smith's, not to mention a bottle of Highland Park should the beer not quite do the trick!

I don't like drinking and working. It slows down the drinking. I propose the following doggerel principles for a proper pub visit. (Is there a proper pub in DC, anyway? Or is that another topic?)

1) Eating is cheating.

2) Working is shirking.

3) Nooooooobody expects the Spanish Inquisition!

Whoops, down the hatch, vicar. etc. etc. etc.

"Mine goes off like a rocket." -- Tom Sietsema, Washington Post, Feb. 16.

I don't like drinking and working. It slows down the drinking. I propose the following doggerel principles for a proper pub visit. (Is there a proper pub in DC, anyway? Or is that another topic?)

1) Eating is cheating.

2) Working is shirking.

3) Nooooooobody expects the Spanish Inquisition!

Whoops, down the hatch, vicar. etc. etc. etc.

Well put. Nail those 3 Thesis to the pub door!

peak performance is predicated on proper pan preparation...

-- A.B.

You can hit the 9th&G Starbucks T-Mobile hotspot from the bar at Zaytinya.

Not recommended at dinner time.

Edit: Doing it right now. Arak and egullet. Two great tastes that taste great together.

Edited by jparrott (log)

Jake Parrott

Ledroit Brands, LLC

Bringing new and rare spirits to Washington DC.

Tonic in Mt. P has free WiFi, and a couple of good beers on tap. Of course that's miles away from downtown, both figuratively and literally.

Edited by Roger Troutman (log)

Love,

Mr. Roger Troutman, who enjoys food and beverages.

CHAIR, INTERNATIONAL DINING RESEARCH INSTITUTE

WASHINGTON, D.C.

• 3 months later...
Turns out I can hit a (free) network from Old Ebbitt Grill.  I'm here right now.  Time for an oyster tasting!

Your chances of finding hot spots are better than usual this week (especially on the Inaugural parade route).

Old Ebbitt was great, until we got rousted out to make room for snipers aimed at VanMan .

TractorMan was cooler. VanMan was a blank-faced hippy.

TractorMan or VanMan... it makes no difference! I just don't see why you would want to (or need to) have wireless internet access at a bar and/or restaurant!

It results in too much interference with one's drinking -- plus you might spill that drink on your laptop!

"Whenever someone asks me if I want water with my Scotch, I say, 'I'm thirsty, not dirty' ". Joe E. Lewis