• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Banana Bread: Tips & Techniques

Knicke

This is just a start to your trouble shooting but are you sifting the baking soda to make sure there's no lumps?

Ummmmm...I'd like to say yes, but I don't really remember. I do delump my baking soda before throwing it into the rest of the dry ingredients, so I don't think I have lumps of baking soda in there. At least not large ones. I might have some small lumps of flour, but the bitterness definitely didn't taste like flour.

I have three bananas left, so I thought I'd try again. But now bananas are a heck of a lot darker than they were last week. Could overripe bananas be bitter?

• 3 months later...
I recently posted a recipe for banana bread that I've basically perfected to my taste... it's on my blog here.

Did anyone save this recipe from the blog 'floatingnib'?

I tried this last summer and it was fantastic but only bookmarked the website and now the blog is no longer available!

Help!! This was _amazing_ banana bread!!

Thanks!

I recently posted a recipe for banana bread that I've basically perfected to my taste... it's on my blog here.

Did anyone save this recipe from the blog 'floatingnib'?

I tried this last summer and it was fantastic but only bookmarked the website and now the blog is no longer available!

Help!! This was _amazing_ banana bread!!

Thanks!

You might try PMing the member and see if he'll give it to you.

I've noticed a lot of these recipes are leavened just with baking soda. Where does the acid come from. The bananas??

I just made banana-bread muffins, today, and there's baking soda in the recipe, along with 1/8 tsp. of vinegar (which hardly seems like enough to really do anything). Other recipes I noticed included buttermilk.

(The more ingredients (coconut, chocolate chips, oats, nuts) in banana bread, the merrier, as far as I'm concerned.) :smile:

• 1 month later...

Hi Everyone

Wondering if anyone has a Caramel Banana bread. My partner is currently addicted to the Starbucks Caramel Banana bread and we want to make our own.. but i no recipe for it nor could i find one on google.

Im not a big baker and the few banana breads i have tried making have come out like cake rather than dense like i think a banana bread should be. So ok im looking for 2 things really LOL

1. A Banana bread recipe that is dense

2. A Caramel banana bread recipe or how to turn a normal banana bread recipe into Caramel banana bread

Thanks

Kath =)

I'm not familiar with Starbucks caramel banana bread (actually I'm not really familiar with anything Starbucks now, haven't been in one in about 10 years). Is it caramel flavored banana bread or banana bread with pieces of caramel in it or what?

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

Hi

Its got caramel flavour to it.. no pieces/lumps/icing =)

Im not a starbucks fan myself but for my partner ill try anything to stop him spending $3.50 a slice LMAO

Kath

I once had a recipe for a caramel apple loaf cake, and the caramel flavour came primarily from creaming butter and a lot of brown sugar together. You could start with a basic banana bread recipe that uses butter, and sub brown sugar for the white sugar. See how that works, then tweak from there.

Ohhh tinkering... that could end in disaster.  I was looking at the CI recipe, the picture they have looks about the density im looking for.  So you suggest just subing brown sugar for the white sugar.. i can do that hehehe i think :P

I think I've read that brown sugar has more moisture than white sugar, so you might have to adjust for that, but I would probably just do a straight 1:1 substitution. It's just banana bread, after all, so a little extra moisture won't kill it (plus I'm just too lazy to bother thinking about it :biggrin: ).

• 10 months later...

I don't know where (if) there's a baking disaster topic, so I'm sticking this here.

Tonight I decided I needed banana bread, so I looked up CI's recipe. Looked easy and fast enough, so I went for it. Mixed everything up and thought, "Hmmmm, this recipe is a little drier than most banana bread recipes."

Poured the batter in a parchment-lined pan and stuck it in the oven. Less than 30 seconds later, I noticed a pot on the stove--forgot to put in the melted butter! No wonder it was so dry!

Stopped the oven, scraped the batter back into the bowl and mixed in the melted butter. Lined the pan with new parchment paper and baked it again.

Then I realized I used twice as much butter as I should have!! That's 170 grams instead of 85!!

More butter doesn't make better banana bread. You'd think it would, but. . . not so much.

Who said banana bread was supposed to be easy? :sigh: