• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Twinkie Maker Bankrupt

srhcb

"Interstate Bakeries Corp. (IBC), the nation's largest wholesaler baker whose products include Twinkies and Wonder Bread, filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy protection early Wednesday."

It's even sad to see an icon of poor nutrition vanish?

Oh I doubt if they will vanish. Likely just housecleaning the books and gathering themselves into stronger better pap-makers.

Love the title of your thread...it could lead to all sorts of nonsensical responses. But we don't do that here, do we now.

But seriously, thanks for the info. Probably in two months time the Twinkies packages will be smaller and the price tag higher...and I am stuck, for I've allowed my children to become pleasantly addicted to them. That's how I get them to clean their rooms....promises of Twinkies. :wink:

True: the passing of a cultural icon and the jobs that go with it's manufacture are lamentable, but those foods are part of a forty-odd-year-old trend of "convenience" foods that, perhaps unwittingly, got americans started on the obesity problem, and food conglomerates into big profits by providing low-cost, minimaly nutritional content in a seductive wrapping. Now the free market is cleaning house, our nutritional standards are higher and the twinkie replacement is on the drawing board somewhere with better ingredients, and an able workforce is standing by ready to go make 'em. Plus Ça Change...

"I took the habit of asking Pierre to bring me whatever looks good today and he would bring out the most wonderful things," - bleudauvergne

foodblogs: Dining Downeast I - Dining Downeast II

Portland Food Map.com

Now the free market is cleaning house, our nutritional standards are higher and the twinkie replacement is on the drawing board somewhere with better ingredients, and an able workforce is standing by ready to go make 'em. Plus Ça Change...

Wow. Where do you live?

Maybe they'll bake up a big batch before they close and we'll have them forever, which is about half the shelf life of a twinkie. I suspect it's the sugar that keep the preservatives alive.

Robert Buxbaum

WorldTable

Recent WorldTable posts include: comments about reporting on Michelin stars in The NY Times, the NJ proposal to ban foie gras, Michael Ruhlman's comments in blogs about the NJ proposal and Bill Buford's New Yorker article on the Food Network.

My mailbox is full. You may contact me via worldtable.com.

Good or Bad?

If you would have asked me 20+ years ago, I probably would have been a little more upset...but now as an adult, I realize that even companies have lifespans. I would think that the youth today might be a little bothered, but the reality is that there are many other sweets that a child can choose from (of course, as Steve Almond alerted us to, not as many as in years past).

I feel bad for all whose livelihoods are to be affected, but as an icon that has seen better days, I can barely muster a 'Meh' to see them go away, if they even go at all.

Now Tasty-Cakes... that's another matter entirely. :raz:

-Kate

-----------

My food blog:

Accidental Hedonist - Food, travel and other irrelevent irreverence

Wow. I've never had a Twinkie. Peter had one at a friend's house once and said it was "weird. Mom, your chocolate cake is better, especially when you have whipped cream or ice cream." Am I depriving my kids?

Susan Fahning aka "snowangel"

Here's the link to the Twinkie bankruptcy.

I don't know how to feel. I suppose I'll feel bad for all of those that will those their jobs. I'm with Suzanne; I have a hard time believing that this will stop the production of Twinkies -- I'm sure somebody will buy the rights and make more.

Yea, Twinkies and whatever else will be made by someone.

What isn't certain is whether or not they will continue to make them the same way. You'd like to believe they'll leave well enough alone, but the new makers may not be so wise.

Herb aka "herbacidal"

Tom is not my friend.

Interesting if you read the various press accounts about WHY IBC is declaring bankruptcy. According to some accounts, they are using the excuse du jour -- that the low-carb craze is hurting the bottom line.

Other accounts (for example, the WSJ's extensive front-page article today) blame "a fumbled quest for a formula to make baked goods last longer." By changing the (already questionable) formula of Wonder Bread and other products to give it a longer shelf life, they were hoping to reduce frequency of deliveries and close plants.

Oops.

Ding Dongs and Hostess chocolate cupcakes are also Hostess products (and more tasty than Twinkies IMHO). I do not think that the bankruptcy is due to the low carb craze-people who eat Twinkies etc. frankly don't care about carbs. I also do not think that it is in response to a more nutritionally conscience culture-everyday more super sugar cereals and sweet snacks are on the market. The stuff has been on the shelves for 40 plus years. I do not recall seeing Twinkies etc. go the route of product tie-ins such as Shrek or some other Madison Ave. creation de jour. My kids see a box of anything with Shrek on it and they want it. I do not recall seeing any TV ads either. Old products such as Jello and Kool-aid still try and stay current with the times.

What disease did cured ham actually have?

Megan sandwich: White bread, Miracle Whip and Italian submarine dressing. {Megan is 4 y.o.}

Don't let this out but the plans for the deep fried whole pig are underway.

Bruce Frigard

Quality control Taster, Château D'Eau Winery

"Free time is the engine of ingenuity, creativity and innovation"

111,111,111 x 111,111,111 = 12,345,678,987,654,321