• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Bittman in Seattle again

Pretty good article, I have never eaten there. My friends did a few years back and weren't very impressed. They especially were dissapointed in the atmosphere and commented on the elderly patrons?? Anyone been there recently??

• 2 weeks later...

I've eaten there twice...most recently about a month ago.

The first time...about a year ago I found the food fantastic but the amosphere very subdued. I felt that we practically had to whisper.

This last visit I noticed the room was a bit less 'somber'. The chef was notably friendlier (I think I wrote on another post that he came out to the street and helped me flag down a cab ). Overall the atmosphere was just perfect...the service professional...yeah, everything was great.

As for the age of the diners....well, I'm not sure what you're calling 'elderly' as I'm in my 50s...maybe you saw me.... :shock:

As for the age of the diners....well, I'm not sure what you're calling 'elderly' as I'm in my 50s...maybe you saw me.... :shock:

I've only eaten there once but my husband and I also noticed more "elderly" patrons than you normally see downtown (and by elderly I mean in their 70's). In fact, our waitress pointed to one couple and told us that they have been eating there once a week for years - it was very cute.

Edited by LEdlund (log)

Practice Random Acts of Toasting

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

not for nothing, but what's Bittman's thing with Lampreia?

i can't think of anyone more worthy for repeated praise in the NYT, but i don't think Thomas Keller, Jean-Georges or anyone else has gotten this much ink, much less someone from 2,500 miles away.

we're suspecting there's a cookbook in the works. that, or Bittman can't resist getting the NYT to pay for free Seattle junkets.

p.s. when was the last time you saw a correction like this?

Edited by jbonne (log)

I think Bittman and Carsberg must be in cahoots. I also think it's funny that Bittman is so clueless about the fact that 1/2 of Seattle hates Carsberg.

Think of these articles as a SERIES and perhaps it won't be so annoying as everyone seems to think it is.

That last statement is just unnecessary.

"Save Donald Duck and Fuck Wolfgang Puck."

-- State Senator John Burton, joking about

how the bill to ban production of foie gras in

California was summarized for signing by

Gov. Schwarzenegger.

I think Bittman and Carsberg must be in cahoots. I also think it's funny that Bittman is so clueless about the fact that 1/2 of Seattle hates Carsberg.

Actually I would guess that WELL over half of Seattleites have absolutely no idea who Scott Carsberg is....

Everything I've heard of late is that he's toned way down in the last few years...

Most women don't seem to know how much flour to use so it gets so thick you have to chop it off the plate with a knife and it tastes like wallpaper paste....Just why cream sauce is bitched up so often is an all-time mytery to me, because it's so easy to make and can be used as the basis for such a variety of really delicious food.

- Victor Bergeron, Trader Vic's Book of Food & Drink, 1946

I don't find it annoying in the least. Earlier in the year, Bittman was focusing on The Slanted Door and several good articles (and good recipes) emerged from that attention. I think it is an interesting way to move beyond the limitations of the article.

Now, if I could only afford to dine at Lampreia and form my own opinion of Mr. Carsberg. :biggrin:

Robin Tyler McWaters

Think of these articles as a SERIES and perhaps it won't be so annoying as everyone seems to think it is.

it's not annoying; quite the opposite.

but i do fault the NYT for not indicating somewhere in the pieces that they're doing this as an ongoing project. seems semantic, but if i write a series about the same restaurant, it tells readers i'm giving them a broad perspective. if i keep returning to it, with little indication that i've written about it before, it seems obsessive.

they were running a series called, i think, "The Chef" that basically did what Bittman has been doing with Carsberg. same concept, except in that case, they explained that it was a series.

Sorry if my comment seemed like a drive-by shooting, but, as a person who used to work in kitchens around Seattle, I can honestly tell you that most cooks I knew had heard horror stories about working with Carsberg. I also know of ridiculous things the restaurant has done re. service (telling a would-be diner who had to cancel to "not bother trying to eat there again" and such).

In addition, I have dined there twice and was underwhelmed with both dinners.

But on a more broad level, I often find that NYC-based media miss the boat when they try to cover restaurants in Seattle.

For example, I don't think that Lampreia is representative of what's exciting about dining in Seattle right now at all. I think maybe Bittman sees that it's as much of a NY-in-Seattle a place as can be found and perhaps that's why he continues to focus so much attention on it.

But again, this series is called "the chef" and I think the choice of chef is a huge disappointment.